Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2001 5:55:48 AM EDT
Can you legally do this if you register the rifle or purchase a registered DIAS?  I was recently told by one the guys from Global Trades that you  could not due to the NFA of '86.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can - IF the DIAS is a registered, transferable DIAS. The "pre-81" DIASs you see advertised in SGN are NOT registered and are trouble - don't waste your money, stay away from those.  With a registered, transferable DIAS, you canot drill or mill for a GI sear though - you have to use the DIAS as the only sear.  You can also use a registered DIAS in a POST-BAN Ar15 and add all the prohibited assault features you want - the guy you spoke to at Global doesn't know what he's talking about.

You should also be aware, you don't register the rifle itself - the DIAS is already registered and constitutes the machinegun (legally).  Once you get your approved form 4 for the DIAS returned, you just install the DIAS into your gun and rock and roll - no further paperwork necessary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  
Now, how do I go about filing the "form 4" or do I do it when I purchase the DIAS?
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll do it at the time you purchase the DIAS.  If you purchase through a dealer, they'll have the forms and usually fill out their section, then give them to you to complete along with a checklist of what needs to be done.  If purchasing from a private seller in your state, you'll need to get the forms from danbrew's website, or order them from the ATF.

[url]http://www.titleii.com[/url]

Expect about 90 days for the Form 4 to get back to your dealer from the ATF, from the time you send it in with your fingerprints, photos, law enforcement signature and $200 check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top