Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2002 1:57:31 PM EDT
Who can use my legal AWs when I go to the public ranges here in the PRK? I have both preban and postban AWs if it makes any difference on the rules.

Also, can anyone other than me use my hi-cap mags in my AWs? I thought there was some legal limit to whom can use them while in my company at the range?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as they are in your presence, anyone who is not a conveicted felon or otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms should be able to use your guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As long as they are in your presence, anyone who is not a conveicted felon or otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms should be able to use your guns.
View Quote

They have to be over 18 too.

Here's the law:

[It's legal to]lend that assault weapon to another if all the following apply:
(A) The person to whom the assault weapon is lent is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(B) The person to whom the assault weapon is lent remains in the presence of the registered possessor of the assault weapon, or the person who lawfully possesses an assault weapon pursuant to subdivision (i).
(C) The assault weapon is possessed at any of the following locations:
(i) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(ii) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(iii) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
View Quote

From: [url]caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm [/url]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been trying to get arrested for letting kids shoot my ARs at shooting ranges, but there's never a cop around who gives a rat's ass.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The position of the officers of my usual range is that allowing someone to fire a weapon while under direct, constant supervision does not constitute lending the weapon to the shooter (and I'd never turn my back on a kid who had my AR).  They're not cops or lawyers, but they tolerate no unlawful activity on the range.

I am aware of the risk and am willing to accept it and argue in front of a jury that allowing someone to inspect or fire a weapon does not constitute a loan.  It would be ridiculous to convict someone of a felony for letting a kid sqeeze off a few rounds.  I think it would come down to how a judge instructed the jury on what qualifies a loan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top