Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2002 3:46:47 PM EDT
Does anyone know for sure if a manufacturer would replace your preban lower with the same serial# and still consider it a preban lower. That's providing your lower was damaged.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Which manufacturer do you want to know about?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Bushmaster currently does not replace or rebuild preban receivers and then reissue them with the same serial number.  AFAIK, only Olympic Arms and Colt will perform this service.

i.e. I can send my cracked or out of spec preban Oly serial number BL 26XX to Oly Arms and they will send back an identical receiver with serial number BL 26XX (it takes six months!)
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thunderstick and Troy,
 Thanks for the info, my receiver is fixable there is only 2 little minor cracks ( they look more like cuts ) on the receiver. I would like to have replaced if possible but the repair can be performed and you will never know it was done. I'll call Bushy tomorrow then I'll update you guys. Thanks again, John
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]

That's interesting to know Troy.  I tried to get them to replace my preban purple lower but Bushmaster reps said they never replaced lowers.  At the time, they implied that if my receiver was damaged, I would be out of luck.(Yes, I know I can get my lower refinished, which I did get bearcoated.  I just preferred a new anodized beautiful black lower.)

It is good to know that Bushmaster will replace damaged lowers.  I own several preban Bushies, and it always bugged me to think that if my valuable preban lowers were ever damaged, Bushmaster wouldn't help.  But now I know otherwise (assuming you are correct).  

The only thing that bugs me is that you write "catastrophically damaged".   I would assume a mere crack (cosmetic) that does not affect function, even if that crack is completely through a surface of the receiver, would not qualify for replacement.  I would have to run over it in my car and bend it out of shape so that it couldn't accept mags (as an example) to get a new lower.  That does not inspire confidence in the process.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Well fella's my lower is on the way back to Bushmaster. They have to see it before making any decision. Here is what they said in the email I wrote them.

No, we do not replace with the same serial number.  We will have to submit
for an ATF variance and if approved we will issue another serial number and
destroy the old one.

I hope this would still be considered a preban, is that what ATF variance means?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I got this off of the ATF web site. This should answer all questions.

(O7) Are replacement parts for grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices subject to regulation under the law? [Back]

No. Parts may be replaced in grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and grandfathered feeding devices without violating the law. However, if the frame or a receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon is defective, the replacement must be made by the weapon's manufacturer or importer. The replacement receiver must be parked with the same serial number as the original receiver, and the original receiver must be destroyed. However, a manufacturer or importer who is unable to mark the replacement receiver with the same serial number as the original receiver may seek a marking variance in accordance with 27 CFR 178.92. In addition, the permanent records of the manufacturer or importer should indicate that the receiver for the weapon has been replaced.

(O8) May law enforcement officers purchase

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]

My interpretation of the variance suggests that the new serial number will be considered preban since you are replacing the original preban receiver.  Make sure you get a letter testifying to the status of your receiver. Thanks for the reference info.

This runs counter to Troy's claim that Bushmaster would give you the same exact serial number.  All in all, I'd rather have the same serial number L021210 (let's say), not serial number L250567.  But, hey, it's better than nothing!

If the BATF doesn't grant a variance, maybe Bushmaster will be generous, and give you the same serial number (let's hope!).

GOOD LUCK arjohnson
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I hope they replace with a new one. As far as the serial# goes it doesn't matter to me as long as it is still considered preban. I'll hold on to the document. Also Bushmaster will have it on file as they have to change their records accordingly, I would imagin that a simple phone call to bushy would verify it also. They received my lower today and I hope to here from them soon. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help it is very much appreciated. John
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Well fella's Bushy shipped my lower out yesterday. I talked to the gunsmith today on the phone, he said that the lower was not that bad and they touched it up. However I'm still sending out to Lauer Custom Weaponry next week to get it touched up again and refinished in teflon/moly along with the upper so I'm sure it will be as good as new. Thanks for all your help, John
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Arjohnson,

I'm glad you are happy, but [b]dagnabit[/b]! I was hoping to see how this process would work out.  I thought it would be educational to see how Bushmaster and the BATF would handle this situation.  

I also was hoping to see (assuming you would post a photo) what a variance approval document looks like, as well as the letter from Bushmaster stating that you had a preban receiver with a high serial number.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
If a Slab side Colt AR15 SP1 were to be damaged enough to warrant a replacement, would COLT issue a new lower with the same serial # as the original but with Mil spec pivot pin and mag fence and still have small fire control pins????
Maybe a hammer is going to fall on a certain lower...
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]

ELEFTARIA, if you are serious there are a couple of members who have had Colt replace damaged preban lowers.  I believe Stokes is one such person.  Perhaps you could try the Industry Forums and ask the Colt experts about your hypothesis.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top