Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 3:04:25 PM EDT
I was under the impression that you could put a PREBAN upper on a POSTBAN lower.  I received this impression from talking to a few gun dealers at various gun shows.

Well, I read that you can only have '2 evils' on the weapon.  The 'evils' consist of:

-Pistol Grip
-Detachable Magazine
-Collapsing/Folding Stock
-Threaded Muzzle/Flash Surpressor
-Grenade Launcher
-Bayonet lug

Well, all Postban AR's have 2 of these 'evils'.  A pistol grip & detachable magazine.  So, therefore it would be illegal to put a preban upper on this postban lower correct? Most preban uppers have either a threaded/flash surpressor, or bayonet lug.

Can someone confirm this?  I thought you could, due to the 'PREBAN' upper being 'grandfathered' into the claus.

Can someone please clarify this?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, it's a detachable magazine and ONE of those features - not any two of the features.  No detachable mag, and the rifle can have any features you like.  Detachable mag, and you get ONE frome the list of:
1) pistol grip
2) collapsing/folding stock
3) flash suppressor or threaded muzzle for flash suppressor
4) grenade launcher
5) bayonet lug

Physically a preban configured upper will fit on a post-ban lower, but you cannot legally assemble one that way if the lower can accept a detachable magazine and has a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
But you can modify a pre-ban upper to remove the "evil" features and then legally attach it to your post-ban rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can someone confirm this?  I thought you could, due to the 'PREBAN' upper being 'grandfathered' into the claus.

Thanks,
View Quote

The LOWER was "grandfathered" not the upper.  Lower receivers made into complete firearms before the band can have the evil features.  An upper has no serial number and is just a part in itself.  

hope this helps..and if I missed anything someone please help me.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I received this impression from talking to a few gun dealers at various gun shows.

View Quote

That's the crux of your problem.  Info you got was bogus.  See above for the truth.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
no preban uppers on a post ban lowers, your post ban AR has a pistol grip and detach mag, you cant have any more evil features. I guess if the preban upper didnt have a bayo lug, flash hider or threaded barrel, it would be indistinguishable, from a post ban upper, but if thats the case you might as well get a post ban upper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top