Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2001 7:11:48 PM EDT
I've just done some research on Wisconsin. It seems that they have no provision for concealed or open carry in their statutes, but they do have it in the state constitution,

Article I, §25
Right to keep and bear arms. Section 25. [As created Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose. [1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]
View Quote

On the NRA-ILA website:

[i]CARRYING[/i]
It is unlawful for any person except a peace officer to go armed with a "concealed and dangerous weapon."1 There is no statutory provision for obtaining a license or permit to carry a concealed weapon.

It is unlawful to possess, place, or transport in or on any aircraft, vehicle, or any motor-driven boat while the motor is running, any firearm unless such firearm is unloaded and cased, and it is also unlawful to load or fire any firearm from such aircraft or vehicle.2
View Quote

What gives?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know the same. I've heard that they are working on passing a concealed weapons law but i have been unable to find anything on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Supposedly there is a plan (on whose part I have no idea) to introduce the Wisconsin Personal Protection Act, i.e., a concealed carry law.  I do not know the details but believe it may be introduced later this spring or in the fall.  Apparently some professors from the University of Wisconsin-Madison studied Texas' experience with CCW and made somewhat favorable recommendations to the putative legislative sponsor.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
it seems so contrary doesn't it?  one law says you can protect yourself, the other says you cannot.  you can own a weapon, but cannot have it on your person.  you wonder, how can this law exist when the other seems to clearly prohibit it?  i wonder that too everyday about almost every single moronic law. but they are smart, they'll find a little intra-state commerse clause in the state constitution that enables them to spew this crap out. I live in AZ and thank god we aren't controlled by liberals, yet, california's great energy policies may give us yet more great citizens of the ROK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
ohio,at this time is the same way.constitution says we can,the laws say we can't.the powers that be say you better be able to prove to them that you had a reason to be carrying.so far only offduty leo's are found to have a reason.i seem to remember a fews years ago where a bussinessman whom made large cash deposits at his bank,was found gulity of ccw after he pulled his weapon on the crooks who were robbing him at gun point.mmk
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
A few years ago, I noticed when voting in my township on the ballot there was a question near the end that asked if Wisconsin should add this to the state constituition or not. It
mentioned nothing however of concealed carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top