Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 10:01:50 PM EDT
I was pondering...and I began to think that since a rifled bore weapon on a virign receiver with no stock and a foregrip is an AOW...

If a buttstock is added it becomes an SBR. But, what happens if the foregrip is removed ??????

It wasn't designed as a pistol (i.e. originally made as one) so it shouldn't be a pistol. It doesn't have a stock so it isn't a rifle or shotgun. It doesn't have a foregrip, so technically it no longer meets the defintion of an AOW....

So, could Person A build an AOW on a Form 1, register it, remove the foregrip, have it removed from the registry and have created a firearm that seemingly falls in a void where it is not a rifle, shotgun, or pistol and therefore even as a Title I Semi-Auto. could have all the "evil" features ?

[Edited to add...except that it couldn't have a stock and still fall in the void.]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you do, it'll probably end in arrest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Why does removing the foregrip make it not AOW?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
You can make an AOW on a virgin receiver, and if/when you remove the grip, you can have it removed from the registry.  At that point, its basicly just a virgin receiver again.  Of course, since as an AOW it was never a semi-auto assault weapon under 921(a)(30) so it can't now have more than one assault feature (unless it was removed from the registry and built into something prior to 9-13-94 - rifle, pistol, or shotgun, which would meet the 921(a)(30) definition).
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why does removing the foregrip make it not AOW?
View Quote

Because by definition, a pistol is designed to be fired with one hand.  BATF has taken the position that if a gun (without a stock) has a forward grip (other than a mag, like on a Tec-9) it is not designed to be fired with one hand and thus falls into the AOW category by default. If you have an AOW and remove the forward grip, its still an AOW and must transfer as such, but if you want, you can have it removed from the registry as long as you don't plan on putting the grip back on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
When it comes to AOW's and grips, I get totally confused by the laws and ATF statements; so I don't understand your plan.

If you're basing your idea on official law and ATF statements, not on internet rumors, I hope you try it and it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top