Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 4:13:28 PM EDT
Possible or not possible.. AND of course I wont till I get BATF ruleing. but here it is!

I have a reg form 4 lightning link. While I have this unit in my lower the lower is legally thought of as a machine gun. What if I were to take this lightning link and weld it to the surface of my dpms steel lower in a place where it would not function but only be a permanent part of the lower. with this done could I then use all M16 fire control parts including the auto sear and receiver drilling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Drilling the lower to "hang" a GI sear would constitute making of an unregisted receiver MG.
The registered link is a machine itself, drilling and hanging a sear in the host firearm is making a post-86 MG.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard rumors that drilling a registered-receiver is considered "making" a "machinegun", but I haven't been able to find an official ATF ruling on the matter.

Forgetting for a moment about AR15 receivers and drilling, I'm aware of no law that prohibits adding the parts of your choice to your NFA-registered lightning-link, resulting in a fully functioning "machinegun" of unlimited capability and power.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah but he isn't making another MG, what he wants to do is weld the LL in the host lower, which is treated as a MG as long as the LL is in it, thus permanently making the host lower a MG and therefore he can do anything he wants to it(so how is drilling it for a sear breaking the law if its already a MG???).  Maybe its just me, but it makes sense.... I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this one.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course it makes sense. But then the ATF shows up and declares that you have broken a rule that they make up on the spot, and then you're toast.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't matter what you weld into a lower.

Unless you hold a Class 2 (manufacturing liscense), you cannot drill a sear-hole in an AR-15 lower. BATF considers this making a post-sample MG. Same as putting a swing-down lower on an HK, eventhough you still have a semi-auto trigger-pack in it.

Two of the standard no-no's.

This has been discussed over on subguns.com before.

Just post this over there for verification.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
(sorry if I asked you this before, I can't remember) do you have a reference for the ATF ruling against drilling AR15? I'd like to see the words they used but don't know where this ruling came from.

Edit: oh. I did already asked that at the top of this thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I a waiting on a reply from the BATF on the matter. I have a written one page letter requesting their view/ruling. I should get a replay in a month or so. The last time I sent off a request for info on a different subject, I did get a fair and timely reply on my questions. My theory on this subject is that if it is already considered a MG then you cant make it anymore of a MG. If the link was removable by any means from the lower and the lower was drilled, you would have two NFA parts. One legal and one not. BUT since thay cant be seperated, no additional MG will be made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top