Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 10:13:06 AM EDT
Many small businesses gain free advertising by using forums.  An example is the Gun Connection (SC) owned by Craig V. Prince, who posts on many firearms forums as MAX100.  There are currently many upset individuals, including myself, who have given this individual money, and cannot get a refund or their product.  I'd like to pose the question, should moderators (Possibly even the owner of the forum itself) be held legally liable for losses incurred, when they allow positive reviews of products, made and sold by individuals such as this, but delete posts on the same topics which warn people not to give that business cash up front.  I have personally had this happen on the ShotgunWorld forum.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
buyer beware
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Many small businesses gain free advertising by using forums.  An example is the Gun Connection (SC) owned by Craig V. Prince, who posts on many firearms forums as MAX100.  There are currently many upset individuals, including myself, who have given this individual money, and cannot get a refund or their product.  I'd like to pose the question, should moderators (Possibly even the owner of the forum itself) be held legally liable for losses incurred, when they allow positive reviews of products, made and sold by individuals such as this, but delete posts on the same topics which warn people not to give that business cash up front.  I have personally had this happen on the ShotgunWorld forum.

No.
Furthermore, such liability is legally prohibited by Federal law specifically Section 230 of the CDA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top