Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2002 5:58:47 PM EDT
What weapons can you get with one? Can you purchase Class three stuff like Tommy guns and BAR's without going through the normal crap?
What exactly qualifies a weapon as C&R ?
TIA
BP
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
goto the batf website they have a list. if you get a c&r lisence they send alot of stuff that can help
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't recall any class 3 firearms on the list. Here is the website i started gathering info about C&R at.
[url]http://users.pld.com/willj/curio/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a number of class 3 firearms listed as C&R, you still have to do the transfer but you don't need to go thru an FFL you can have it transfered directly to you.  The May 2002 Small Arms Review has a 75mm US WWII Pack Howitzer listed as C&R for $35,000.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

Dave M
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the interesting issue: The date for C&R is floating. It is 50 years prior to the current date. At some time, it will pass 1986 (2036), 1989 (2039), and 1994 (2044), etc...So what happens in regards to those laws. Hopefully the 1994 law will have sunsetted and even more hopefull is that all gun laws will have been repealed.

More important are some other dates in the 1940s - 1960s when production of many modern guns began. For example, what happens when Inch FALs (Inch mentioned because they are the only original Semi-Only versions I know of) become C&R eligble. BTW, it will begin very soon since production began in the 1950s. Some SKSes are already C&R eligible. Over the years, the numbers will increase.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, the Secretary [red]shall authorize[/red] the importation of, by any licensed importer, the following:

(1) [red]All rifles and shotguns listed as curios or relics[/red] by the Secretary pursuant to section 921(a)(13), and

(2) [red]All handguns, listed as curios or relics[/red] by the Secretary pursuant to section 921(a)(13), provided that such handguns are generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
View Quote

Hmm, 922(r) has a 50 year "loophole". Any 50 year old rifle, shotgun, or pistol (I don't say firearm since a MG does not fall into any of these categories) can be imported even if its import would otherwise be illegal. A decade from now we will see C&R AR-15s, M16s, AK-47s, etc...

BTW, its about time for C&R Uzis (Production began in 1951 if I remember correctly).

But, there is the list you really want to get a gun on. That is the NFA Exempt list. Guns on that list are exempt from the provisons of the NFA, except for MGs and DDs of course. But, AOWs, Silencers, SBRs, Sawed-Off Shotguns, etc...can be exempted from the NFA. There are some guns I wish I could afford on that list including a Carbine with Short barrel, Hi-Cap. and all the evil features.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top