Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2002 11:12:04 PM EDT
I've heard someone on here mention that open carry is allowed in Arizona.  I've read this somewhere also.  I've never been to Arizona.  Do people really carry open?  It must be weird seeing people walking down the street with gun strapped to the belt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
open carry can be a strange sight whrn you first get here, but after awhile you get used to it. You are right however there are people who freak out when they see a gun. While it still happens, it is not has prvelant as it was before the CCW law went into affect. It does make it nice for people who are traveling in arizona who do not have reconized permits, or a CCW.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry most of the time. Working in one of the "Nicer" areas of Phoenix it's reassuring when closing the shop at night to know you can legally open carry. You do get some raised eyebrows or stares at the gas station or grocery store though. Why do I carry?
Because I can.  [uzi]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
"why do I carry? because I can"
Great point!
People in california just dont know the concept! and never will.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hang on, let me get this straight.  You can open-carry in AZ without needing a permit?  So if I visit AZ I can just strap on the Beretta and mosey down the street?
View Quote

Have you ever read the item in the AZ Constitution on bearing arms?

26 Bearing arms

Section 26. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.
View Quote

[b]Ain't that the coolest phrasing![/b]
Can't you just imagine what was on their minds when that section was written?
Doesn't that just conjure up images of the olde west, cattle barons and "regulators"?!!

I loved Arizona when I lived there!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup, back in '85 me and several guys strolled into the Phelps Dodge Grocery in Bisbee with or pistols strapped on  .  .  .  
{that's [b]1985[/b] not 1885, before you start goofin' on me [;)]}
Anyway, there were five of us, having spent the afternoon exploring old mineshafts for rattlesnakes. We were hungry & thirsty, and were fixin' to buy a load of groceries for a really excellent bar-b-que. No one wanted to be left to sit in the pickup, in the heat, with all the shootin' irons. So we just [i]wore[/b] them in.

As I said, I have a few fond memories of Tucson, and Bisbee.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmm. So what's the job market like in the great State of Arizona? And what about the cost of living?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
very poor chance you will be able to find work!
housing very high$!
and hot very hot!
your not thinking of moving out here are you?
its just the price we pay to live the real life!
What was your question?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I grew up here in AZ and as teenagers, we wore our pistols all the time.  I really dont remember anyone ever specifically telling us we could, we just somehow knew! now I'm more discreet, which is why i asked the question about a certain type of carry on another thread.  the funny thing is though, we never felt privelaged, it was always sort of expected.  Fountain hills was a neat place to grow up, not too far from the city, but just far enough!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Driving through AZ on may way out of CA and to TX, I opened carry all the way. Much like Troy, I stopped and the first rest stop after CA border and strapped my Tac Holster on with my Glock in it and a spare mag. Then I stopped at a McDonalds for a bite(got weird looks), then a gas station to gas up(no weird looks there).
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't been to Arizona since I was a kid. I remember when I first went there I noticed the open carry and thought "cool!", but wondered why it wasn't like that in California or Colorado, where I lived. I think it really put the seed in my mind that made me the freedom lover I am today.

I really gotta go back and visit sometime...
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#14]
lots of states have open carry laws,here in Alabama we do,the problem is lots of LEO's don't know it's legal.but,if you do carry "open" and slip on a coat,where the weapon is hid,you best have a CCW permit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
That's why I'm going to retire in Arizona, got 11 more years and then I'm free from the Caliban.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
visitors can open carry, cool, i will remember that next time i am out there, but one question comes to mind, is the pistol, say in a fobus holster to be considered concealed while on your side while driving in the car?, in mich any pistol inside of a vehicle is to be considered concealed
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't been to Arizona since I was a kid. I remember when I first went there I noticed the open carry and thought "cool!", but wondered why it wasn't like that in California or Colorado, where I lived. I think it really put the seed in my mind that made me the freedom lover I am today.

I really gotta go back and visit sometime...
View Quote

You CAN open carry in Colorado.  The cities may, however, enact ordinances against it.  I carry all the time when I'm in the mountains or on the Pawnee Grass Lands.  Most people don't in town cause it's too damn difficult to keep track of what city you're in and what the law is there.

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Back before I sold my Revolver (now only have rifles and shotguns) I would open carry whenever I was in Alabama. It never seemed to get a second look.

I got some shit a while back when I refered to Texas as Moderate for Gun Rights. I had to repeatedly explain that the lack of Open Carry w/o a CCW is what put them in the Moderate Category. I didn't explain that I put them lower in Moderate than a number of other states becuase of the crap they put CCWs through and all the places that are off limits.

Then again, I also ranked Alabama in the Moderate Category due to the fact they do not allow open carry in vehicles. I don't know why I can walk down the street with a pistol on my side, but I can't have a loaded pistol in my vehicle w/o a CCW.

Here in Florida we don't allow open carry. But, 5 minutees away in Alabama it is legal except in a vehicle and 45 minutes away in Mississippi you can carry openly, and however you damn well please in your vehicle. OTOH, Florida does allow me to carry anywhere I please in my vehicle as long as if it a handgun that it is in a holster.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey LngBch, I lived in Lakewood CA most of my life.  I moved to AZ at the 25 and could not imagine going back.  It is a great place to live for many reasons.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
visitors can open carry, cool, i will remember that next time i am out there, but one question comes to mind, is the pistol, say in a fobus holster to be considered concealed while on your side while driving in the car?, in mich any pistol inside of a vehicle is to be considered concealed
View Quote
AZ doesn't specifically prohibit open-carry in car. To play it safe, if you get pulled over, make sure to move it into plain view before LEO gets to your window (hands off the gun by the time he gets there). To play it safer, check with someone who knows more than I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top