Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 5:23:58 PM EDT
I apologize for asking such a fundamental question, but here it is.

I have a postban Bushmaster. If I buy a new complete upper with a flash suppressor and park it in the safe [b]next[/b] to my bushy, am I committing a crime?

I realize that putting it on the lower would be a bad thing, but is it legal to own the aforementioned upper (legal in my state) with a postban rifle sitting next to it?

If the Men In Black paid me a visit would I be looking at charges of conspiring to assemble or some such?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting convicted of this would require an act of God.

If you are not doing anything else to draw the attention of Federal Agencies then i wouldn't worry about it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
AR-10, this is MY answer, and it is an opinion only-

Who cares? If you are going to be busted, I seriously doubt you'll be singled out for having a non-NFA weapon with a few bad features. How many people REALY have the MIBs show up at their door to haul them away for something like that? Less than 1% of all gun owners, and I'd put BIG money on that. Read my post about obeying unconstitutional laws.

You arnt even TALKING about having a 'post ban Assault weapon' in your posession, so I seriously doubt that unless you assembeled it, it'd even be illegal. It might give some asshole agent who is just LOOKING for something to gig you on a chance, but unless it was on the gun when they found it, I realy seriously doubt they can do anything, legaly about it.

If they want to confiscate your guns, you can have a closet full of bolt action antiques and old pump 12-guages, and they'll take them and dont have to give them back to you for as long as they can keep up the leaglese.

My advice to you is dont live in fear of 'them'. If they want you, they'll get you, broken law or no. If you want to take a 'bad' gun out in the desert or the mountains and shoot your AR with a bayonet mounted, you'll probably get struck by lightening because of the gun before you get in trouble because of it. Most LEOs in my experience dont even CARE about the AWB unless you give them a reason to.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a postban Bushmaster. If I buy a new complete upper with a flash suppressor and park it in the safe [b]next[/b] to my bushy, am I committing a crime?
View Quote

Yes.  The law bans the possession of a SAAW, or the [b]parts to assemble[/b] a SAAW.

As markm said, it would pretty much take an act of god to be convicted of this--assuming that was the only thing you were being prosecuted for.  If you ever get into any trouble for _anything_ expect this to come back and bite you on the rear.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have followed this type of question since I joined this board and decided to ask a couple of LEO's I know.  A couple of them work for our local police dept and another is my brother in law who is a sheriffs deputy.  They all told me the same thing.  They wouldn't know the difference between a pre-ban or a post-pan weapon and they really couldn't care less.  As long as you are not breaking any laws with the weapon they don't care about the time or place it was assembled.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the answers.

I figured that was the situation.

If I had an extra upper floating around, I'd just have to buy another lower anyway. Might as well get a whole rifle. It just pains me to shell out an extra five or six hundred bucks to get the FS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top