Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2001 1:56:57 PM EDT
I saw for sale an Olympic Arms upper assembly with an 11.5 inch barrel with a 5 inch flash supressor.  If the supressor was threaded on would this be legal for an average guy to own?  

Link Posted: 3/22/2001 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If the long hider is pinned/welded in accordance with ATF guidelines, yes it'd be legal.  I have one of those myself - the long hider is threaded on, then drilled for a blind pin.  Pin is installed, end welded over, area ground flat and refinished.

If the hider can simply be unscrewed to remove it, then no - it's and SBR and you'd need an NFA tax stamp to possess it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info circuits.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the opinion stated IF the upper is installed on a lower. If not, I believe the 11.5" barrel is legal to own with or without a permanently attached 5.5" fh. Just don't install it on a lower w/o the fh.Maybe it's questionable, but I see no reason it's not legal to own as a part. Naturally, the fh would make it a preban upper even if permanently attached to the barrel. If this is wrong, please quote the section defining this as I'd like to know.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have an upper that is less than 16" in the same location as another AR-15 that IS NOT registered as an SBR, this is considered intent to build an illegal SBR by the BATF.

You must keep them separate (not in the same location) until you register a lower as an SBR.

Stupid, yes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
drfcolt;
I've heard of this rule, but never seen it in writing. Any links you know of for this info? Have not located it on ATF site.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It's kind of scary knowing a gov. agency has the power to make arbitrary decisions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a guy who has collected AR’s for many years He has a 11.5 inch Olympic arms with short flash suppressor collapsible stock, on pre-ban lower bought in he thinks 1987. I have told him many times how much I liked the configuration and wanted to purchase a pre-ban lower and build the same configuration. What are the laws on his AR? What are the laws on the configuration I want to build? Where can one go to find out about all the laws pertaining to AR configurations?
Craiger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top