Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2002 6:57:05 PM EDT
Okay, we all know that Hesse is marketing a 223 composit pistol.  This pistol, is said to be 100% AR parts compatible, unlike the Professional Ordnace one.  This makes the 50oz limit and all the other requirments.  The FAC wholesale cat I saw last listed it under $600.00.

Now, the hypothetical situation (since a topic was started about a 9mm hesse based pistol lower).

If one were to make a new upper in 9mm (custom made, not factory offered).  Say using an ASA 9mm bolt, (ASA mag well adapter), a shortened ASA 9mm barrel (5-7"), barrel nut, and charging handle.  

If one were to use this conversion on the Hesse pistol (lets assume it's slightly heavy, the 9mm upper), does the converted pistol have to be under 50oz??  The original form passed the qualifications and this is a conversion.....can be switched back and forth???  If the parts can make less then 50oz converted, then there is no point in asking this, but if it is over 50oz converted, is this leagal????

Someone asked about making a 'new' 9mm pistol out of a stripped Hesse composite lower/upper.  And if it's new, it has to be 50oz or less.  But, how about a converted .223 pistol????  What's the legal status of this???  Figured I'd ask....

(I hope I wrote things clear enough....)

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Break 50 oz., break the law.  It's like asking if you can add a "preban" upper to a "postban" rifle on the theory that the original "postban" upper was legal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Example makes sence.  Thanks Dave_G

Guess if someone does make a caliber switch on the pistol, it'll have to be light enough......really thin barrel or a tad bit shorter. The 9 bolts are heavy.

The only thing the law allows for is "accessories"....like sighting devices (lazers, red dots), different grips.... I assume....[:\]...those would ad weight to the pistol.

(And the next problem would be finding a legal scale to wieght the thing on....)

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you were to use the Oly system rather than the Colt style, you would reduce weight by using the Oly-modified Sten mags and having the magwell adapter as part of the magazine instead of part of the receiver. You're also removing the gas block and gas tube when making the conversion, since the 9mm is blowback, reducing weight a little more. The 9mm bolt system is usually heavier than a .223 bolt and carrier, but you may make weight anyway. Plus you can turn the barrel down to reduce more weight...

Hypothetically.[;)]

[blasphemy]Of course you could just buy a TEC-9 instead, since that's essentially the same configuration.[/blasphemy]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you were to use the Oly system rather than the Colt style, you would reduce weight by using the Oly-modified Sten mags and having the magwell adapter as part of the magazine instead of part of the receiver. You're also removing the gas block and gas tube when making the conversion, since the 9mm is blowback, reducing weight a little more. The 9mm bolt system is usually heavier than a .223 bolt and carrier, but you may make weight anyway. Plus you can turn the barrel down to reduce more weight...

Hypothetically.[;)]

[blasphemy]Of course you could just buy a TEC-9 instead, since that's essentially the same configuration.[/blasphemy]
View Quote

I have a 'tec type weopon'...aka AB10... problem is the barrel is 'shot out'.  Ya can push a bullet down the barrel w/ a pencil.  Unless you know how to remove the barrel assembly from a AB-10 w/ out changing the upper unit....

Interesting Treetop.  It's been a while since I thought about it.  I was thinking, use a Hesse composite upper.  I don't really like the Oly system.... but... oh well.  I'll think about it later on........ someone built one using a modified car stock, aluminum carrier, composit upper and short barrle 7"......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top