Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2002 7:02:47 PM EDT
I did a "little" research on this one, so don't be afraid to let me have it.

Second, good luck in finding an FFL or company that will do the transaction.

Third, I'm talking about stripped lowers only.  you will have to go with out the pistol grip or afix a 10 round magazine if you want to build it.

The banned (Roberti-Roos) list is very long, but not every reciever is on the list.  the list specifies the name of the manufactorer and the the name of the banned rifles or receivers that they produce.

Some companies sale complete rifles wich are banned, but the "stripped lowers" they sale are not.  The stripped receivers are "not" considered a model of their rifle line.  They are considered "stripped lowers" only.  They some times indicate this on the sereal number markings (ie, RG567645"S") that they were sold as a striped lower only, not as part of their "named" rifle line.

Now, if they have a " model name" on the lower that is on the banned list, you are S.O.L.
Or in the case of PWA, it indicates: PWA-"all."  You are also S.O.L.

The above should keep you out of hot water if you keep it stripped or afix a 10 round magazine in the mag well and build it.  

This should also allow you to purchase "certain" stripped lowers out of state or keep one if  you didn't register it as an AW.

Just food for thought, go ahead and chime in with your thoughts, I could be missing some thing :)

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Legally it sounds good in theory – actually doing it may be a different story.  BTW: did you actually find a lower that was not named?

- Sulaco
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You'd also have to buy the lower/rifle without a pistol grip, or it becomes a 'banned by features' assault weapon under SB23.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Sulaco,  yes I did.  It is on one of my AR's.  All of my AR's are home built and all "are registered as AW's".

I was thinking, what if I did not build or register one of the receivers?  Could I still keep it in the Kaliban if it remained stripped or build it with out the evil features?

To me, the answer would be yes "if it was not on the banned list".  That led me to some research that indicated that it was not a banned model by name.

I called the manufactorer, they  confirmed that it was not considered as one of their rifle line (wich are on the list).  They verified this by certain marings that they place on the receiver to indicate that it was sold as a stripped receiver only, not one of their line of factory built (banned) rifles.

Sorry, but I will not tell who the company is.  You will have to do your own research.  I'm sure that really don't want the attention.

I didn't ask if they would ship a stripped lower to the Kaliban.  Even if they would, you would never find an FFL that would do the transaction.  Not that many would even deal with a FAB 10.

Just remeber, not every lower receiver is named on the banned list.

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If the factory-built rifle is on the banned list, and the stripped lower receiver has the same model name/number stamped in it, but lacks the stamp that ID's the weapon as a factory-built rifle like ArmaLite/Eagle Arms's white fake DOD acceptance stamp, it's still banned, even as a stripped lower.  

In the case of DPMS, the banned name is "Panther" and for Armalite/EA it's M15A2/A3/A4.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top