Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2002 8:49:43 AM EDT
I ordered 2 rifles out of shotgun news. Before placing the order i checked with a local FFL dealer about having them shipped to his shop. They said it would be the usual $15.00. Today I called to see if they had arrived. He said they had caused all kinds of problems by violating federal laws. He claims only an FFL holder can order from an advertiser in Shotgun news, even if they ship to an FFL Holder. Further he said I purchased from a distibutor he uses. I think he's pissed he isn't getting to mark them up so he's adding a $40.00 surcharge. Then he said Shotgun News is really intended for dealers only not for the general public.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I ordered 2 rifles out of shotgun news. Before placing the order i checked with a local FFL dealer about having them shipped to his shop. They said it would be the usual $15.00.
View Quote

If he said it he should stick with it.

Today I called to see if they had arrived. He said they had caused all kinds of problems by violating federal laws.
View Quote

???

He claims only an FFL holder can order from an advertiser in Shotgun news, even if they ship to an FFL Holder.
View Quote

Some distributors will only take orders from the dealer.  Good idea I think.

Further he said I purchased from a distibutor he uses. I think he's pissed he isn't getting to mark them up so he's adding a $40.00 surcharge. Then he said Shotgun News is really intended for dealers only not for the general public.
View Quote

Well he should have asked those questions prior to letting you order.  Shotgun News is a pain in the ass sometimes for dealers but, it does have it's good quailities.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell that guy its $15 or your going to another FFL. Thats BS what he's doing. And Shotgun News is for the gun owners who DONT want to get ripped. I would be insulted by what he said.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He said they had caused all kinds of problems by violating federal laws.
he's adding a $40.00 surcharge.
View Quote

ok, we've violated federal law, so paying him $40 makes it right. sure...

Shotgun News is really intended for dealers only
View Quote

why can i get SGN at wal-mart? only ffls buy at wal-mart! officer, arrest me!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I would look around on the net or just ask around for someguy who deals out of his house.  He'll be glad to get 15 bucks for maybe a few minutes on the phone, or perhaps fax an order.  Hell the guy I used, found me a better deal through his catalogs of stuff not in SGN.  I even got a discount when I ordered 3 firearms at once.

Hey man, you gotta find you an FFL guy like this.

Most of these guys are already on file with all kinds of wholesalers, so no waiting for paperwork.  

The gun and pawnshops here wouldn't even think about doing a transfer for me.  all baout the $$$$
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey what part of bama you in, I'm in Hunts'vul
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
THE GUY IS TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF.

As far as only an FFL dealer ordering from
shotgun news, all the law requires is the weapons are shipped from an FFL dealer to an FFL dealer. Shotgun news doesn't care who buys or uses their rag as long as somebody does.

If he complains about you using his FFL and undercutting his rip off prices tell him as a thank you will buy ammo only from him.
Of course unless he has awesome prices on ammo buy it from some body else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Well here is how it played out. I went down and picked up the guns. He was willing to return them to Centerfire provided I pay shipping (of course he would have to arrange it). Then centerfire would have a restocking fee (can't blame them they did exactly what they were asked to do). So I gave up the extra $50 and told him I hope it was worth it to sell his honor for $50, also hope he likes screwing over a member of the biggest gun club in the area. You know how folks talk at the meetings. paybacks are a B#*$&. Buy the way the rifles were some very nice SKS M59's. these are the Yugo's built before thye added the grenade launchers in 66. they had the cleaning rods, slings, matching s/n's and no carving in the stocks and it appeared some one cleaned a lot of the storage grease out before shipping. I almost wonder if he was pissed his distributor shipped me nicer ones than he's been getting. I payed $150 each. He's selling them for $240 (LOL).  

BIGN - I'm just north of our capital city of Montgomery. Could you pull this cold back up your way, i'm trying to get the pool ready.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well here is how it played out. I went down and picked up the guns. He was willing to return them to Centerfire provided I pay shipping (of course he would have to arrange it). Then centerfire would have a restocking fee (can't blame them they did exactly what they were asked to do). So I gave up the extra $50 and told him I hope it was worth it to sell his honor for $50, also hope he likes screwing over a member of the biggest gun club in the area. You know how folks talk at the meetings. paybacks are a B#*$&. Buy the way the rifles were some very nice SKS M59's. these are the Yugo's built before thye added the grenade launchers in 66. they had the cleaning rods, slings, matching s/n's and no carving in the stocks and it appeared some one cleaned a lot of the storage grease out before shipping. I almost wonder if he was pissed his distributor shipped me nicer ones than he's been getting. I payed $150 each. He's selling them for $240 (LOL).  

BIGN - I'm just north of our capital city of Montgomery. Could you pull this cold back up your way, i'm trying to get the pool ready.
View Quote

Sounds like what he did was totally illegal. He was holding your merchandise (that you already paid for) hostage by making you pay more money or he will send the merchandise back and make you spend even more money-- he was threatening you financially and claiming you violated federal laws. If you violated federal laws, then he just aided you (knowingly) in purchashing your firearms since you ultimately ended up with them! You should ask for your $50 back, now that you have the upper hand. Just to make a point, it sounds like you should take him to court and make an example of him, and add some extra money to that for your pain and suffering. I hope you have witnesses. I bet you can subpoena his firearm transfer records to show that he charged you more than his usual transfers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#10]
So, what is the name, address, and phone number of this FFL dealer, and what is the contact's name that screwed you over? And do they have other locations, maybe under a different name?
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
the company name is Magic Pawn and they do have other stores. I am trying to find out who the actual owner is then i will get my money back. Well i've got some bores to scrub. Is my life just work, work, work, bahaaaa.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like this person was trying to suck more money out of you.  Saying a bunch of stuff to see how much you really knew.  Plus must have been PO-ed that it was nicer stuff then what they stocked.  But, if I recall, there is the option of having 'hand selected' stuff......

Most advertisers will state on their ad or web site or when you call, that they only sell to FFL holders.  I have no problem with that.

Then there are dealers that say that they will not tranfer a gun that they are a dealer for or stock.  In my area, most dealers are $20-$25 per firearm.  One is $10.00 and another is free [:D]..... his choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top