Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2002 11:02:11 AM EDT
Dose anyone know if you can regester a weapon as an AOW in CA w/o any special permits?  And if so, how much dose the permit cost to convert a wepaon into an AOW <$5>?

Actuly never mind that CA part, you don't need a special permit for an AOW in CA, just the NFA paperwork.
Also, all NFA items cost 200 to make, but AOW's require a $5 transfer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Read California Penal Code Section 12276.1 in it's entirity.  An AOW based on an AR15-type receiver would be classified as an assault weapon as either a rifle, a short rifle under 30 inches overall or with a short barrel or a pistol.  Making one would be illegal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have made it clearer,
The question for AOW's was for a short-barreled shotgun with out a stock so it would qualify as an AOW.  Costs $200 to make, and a $5 transfer fee instead of $200 like SBR’s or MG’s.  

Although I have wondered if being classified as an NFA item like a SBR or AOW would exclude it from any Assault Weapon status from federal or state laws, much like an NFA MG’s excluded from that status.  I think the only part excluded is it’s barrel length and the length of the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
This is Kalifornistan remember! Good luck getting any SBR, AOW, NFA, MG's, SBT's, McD's, KFC's, CPT's or LBZ's or anything that requires a permit. Permit=no!

Even if you did get one, the hassle you would get everytime at the range would be too much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Actuly JBear, there is no such thing as an AOW permit in CA.

So you can still buy AOWs here just like anywhere else [:D]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
But there is such a thing as a sawed-off shotgun, which you can't have.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But there is such a thing as a sawed-off shotgun, which you can't have.
View Quote

True, but what is the definition of a sawed-off shotgun?  A requirement for an AOW shotgun is that the shotgun left the factory could with ought butstock.  So it must come with a pistol grip only or no stock at all if you want to use it as an AOW shotgun.

Hears a picture of one - and dam if this doesn’t qualify as a sawed-off shotgun then I don't know what dose.

[img]http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/supershorty.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a short-barreled shotgun as defined in California law.  The only way you could have something like that is if the DOJ specifically authorizes you to possess it.  That will not happen.  

I suggest that you do your own research.  Try [url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html[/url].
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds good,
I’ll go ahead and look into it but I wouldn’t bee surprise if you were right about that Dave.  I know there are forms for AW’s, MG’s, SBR’s and DD’s but nothing for AOW’s so I just put two and two together.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
you cna get a AOW in california
problem is just about every AOW has been legilsalated away. so good luck finding one

and ven better luck getting the sign off
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#11]
This is KA.  Class III or Class IIA?  Unless, you're rich, famous or LE/Military, forget it.  It's not going to happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top