Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 7:20:41 AM EDT
Howdy!  I'm a displaced TFL member who is happy to be visiting your forum.  

Ok, so I want a mini-AR-15.  We're talking, collapsable stock (6-position) and an 11.5" bbl w/ flash suppressor.  Semi-auto; not "rock-n-roll."

So, I COULD get a preban lower and register it as an SBR, but what else could I do?  Heck, even if I could pay $200 to get it registered as a full-auto, it would be cheaper than buying a pre-ban!  Is that an option?  

Help me out- what's the cheapest/easiest way to get what I want?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing..You can't register a NEW machine gun unless you are a class 2/SOT.  People have not been able to register new machine guns since the ban in 1986.

Unless you have state laws that say NO..you can register an AR as a SBR.  

You can register a post ban as a SBR, BUT you still can't add a collap. stock, bayo lug, or flashhider.  Going with the pre ban is the only way you can do this.

If you want full auto you can always purchase a registered machine gun.  M16 will start at $5000 on up depending on conversion and other factors.  A LL will start at about $2500 and a RDIAS will start at $4000.

If all you want is a SBR with a collaps. stock and flash suppressor.  Get a pre ban AR and register it as a SBR...the registration will still require a $200 tax to the ATF, CLEO signature, fingerprints and a Form 1.

medcop
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
"...unless you are a class 2/SOT"

Explain, please.  I might know someone who is.

"...A LL will start at about $2500..."

A what?  I got the other two, but I don't know what a LL is.

Can you tell me what a registered AOW is, and if that applies to this discussion?

Thanks for the help...

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're the C2/SOT, you wouldn't be able to possess the machinegun after your 'friend' registered it.  In addition to joe sixgun not being able to register new machineguns after 5/19/86, machinegunes registered after that time are restricted to law enforcement/gov't/military and export only.

The "Lightning Link" is also known by its formal name as the SWD AR-15 Auto Connector.  It's a drop-in machinegun conversion that works with all semi-auto fire control parts.  There are something like a thousand that were registered before 1986.

An AOW is "any other weapon" which is the NFA classification for guns that don't fit into other categories (like machineguns or short-barrel rifles).  AOW includes gadget guns, smoothbore shotgun pistols, and also pistol-type firearms with two handgrips and no stock.  Since an AOW isn't a rifle, pistol or shotgun, legally, it's not subject to the 94 AW ban.  It can have any of the pre-ban features except a shoulder stock (collapsing or fixed).
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the good information.  I really appreciate it.

Well- I guess I'm stuck in the middle w/ the rest of the US, all wanting an old gun that will allow us to have our fun.

I pray for the day we elect legislators who will repeal this crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top