Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2002 3:27:28 PM EDT
I'd just like to know I was talking with a friend who in to home defense in a big way and he told me that he did not know why I had one(Got it for my last job.) Now I'd just like to know how many people have one and why you did or did not get it?

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I own 2:

Dept Issue Level II Point Blank

and a Level II Safariland

and it's Bullet Resistant [b]NOT[/b] proof!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How effective are the new bullet resistant vests?
I remember seeing something on the discovery channel a while back that talked about some of the history of the bullet resistant vest.  The vests during the Vietnam era were more fragment resistant than bullet resistant.  I think the requirement of a service rifle in our armed forces was being able to pierce infantry body armor at 100 meters, so with that in mind bullet resistant vests don’t sound very effective against anything bigger than a light infantry rifle using ordinary ammunition.  Could be wrong on that 100m requirement though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Issue.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I never really gave it too much thought, but when you think of how much money, time, and effort is spent by people purchasing "that perfect firearm/ammo" to keep yourself alive, what's the harm in employing a passive protective measure as well, such as a ballistic vest?  Now that I think about it, in a strange way it's almost silly NOT to wear one.  After all, it's protective gear that's not ever going to injure yourself or someone else.  Your 5 year old kid isn't going to accidentally kill your 3 year old kid with it.  It costs less than most good handguns or rifles, it doesn't take practice to become proficient with, or have a continuing cost of use associated with it.

It is certainly not the end-all, it can be uncomfortable, and WON'T make the wearer Superman, but when the chips are down, don't you want all the advantages you can employ to make sure you survive the encounter?  That's why we all spend our hard earned money buying firearms that 99.9% of us will never actually use in defense either.  Many, many people have stayed alive solely because of ballistic armor.  I just don't see the harm in it.

Afrer all, how many police officers would go out on the beat without one?  Well, smart officers I mean.  I know Waverunner wouldn't! [:)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
 3A concealable and a PASGT.  Private purchase.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Those Interceptor vests are pretty cool, aren't they SinistralRifleman?  The level IV plates cost a bundle though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have more than one.

Why do I have them? If I need one I live a long way from the bullet-proof (resistant?) vest store.

Why would I need one? Gee, I don't know. Hardly anyone ever gets shot at in this world.

But if a situation comes up while you are at my house having a tall ice tea, I have an extra vest. (And an extra AR, and an extra pistol, and an extra shotgun and plenty of ammo, why do I have that?)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes. Level II. Private.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how many people in Isreal are wearing them now?

Got to be a hell of a way to live.

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, Galls Level II. Private.

Because there is no second place in a gun fight and if it's a tie, then the vest is a real good idea.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Back during the '92 L.A. riots, a lot of people were wearing them. You never know when when you might need it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
no..but i'm saving up my milk money for one of [url=http://www.firstdefense.com/html/imagePPU.JPG]these[/url].
View Quote

Is it me, or is the guy in the suit looks like he is crossed eyed?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread reminds me of the Ranger in the Battle of Mogadishu who had one of his balls shot off.

Give me one with the EXTRA protection, please.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We are working on getting stab proof ones at work for our medium and maximum prisons.
One thing I've never been able to figure out when it comes to vests. All of our police agencies issue them to officers with carriers that you must wear [b]over[/b] your uniform. I argued for hours with a good friend who is the firearms,use of force instructor for the local PD about this. My rationale is..if the perp see's the vest..he's going to shoot for your head. If he doesn't see it..he will probably just shoot. The Montreal officer that was killed last week had a vest on..over his uniform. He was shot in the throat. Granted...most people know police are wearing vests..but why confirm it for the guy shooting at you?
View Quote

I had a sample piece of Kevlar, and I could poke a hole in it with my Benchmade 910 Stryker pocket knife, and I can cut the material with my kid's scissors.
Here in the U.S., there have been reports of more law-enforcement people being shot in the head because the bad-guys knew they were wearing body armour. But I don't know the article or when.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Point Blank Level 2 with shock plate. This one was Dept. Issued. I also have a Flak Jacket Nam Era. I wear my Point Blank when I go to the range. I don't care what people think. Just like people ask why do you carry a gun. People a ranges ask why you wear a vest. My answer is because I can.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
no..but i'm saving up my milk money for one of [url=http://www.firstdefense.com/html/imagePPU.JPG]these[/url].
View Quote

Is it me, or is the guy in the suit looks like he is crossed eyed?
View Quote

i saw the same thing even before i read down to yours guzzler. he does appear crosseyed... one to many .45 rounds to the faceplate?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
And if not one too many .45 hits in the faceplate, maybe the groin protection failed the "backface deformation" test right before the pic was taken..... [;)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a Pointblank Level IIIA Interceptor vest.  It can accept ceramic plates to make it Level IV.  MOLLE pouches also can attach directly to it.
View Quote

Sinistral,

Where can one obtain an Interceptor vest, and how much?

Right now I have a PACA Level II, nothing special...
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Point Blank II, with plate. Bought it off a buddy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I say the guy in the suit. He is crossed eye from going into heat exhaustion. Wearing that under camera lights. If I am not mistaken (ERU) which is Rikers Island Jail in NY's Emergency Response Unit. They got those when they take down a whacked out inmate. You should see what these guys do. 9 line up in the hall no guns. They have a guy in a suit with a Body shield. They open the cell door and all 9 rush in. The guy holding the shield is literally pushed by the other guys. When they get done EMS comes and takes the inmate to the Hospital.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
after a 12 pack i am bullet proof. does that count?

mike
View Quote
LOL I love dealing with you guys! hahaha I have a Point Blank 2A w/plate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top