Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2002 9:18:41 AM EDT
Not too bad for me. It's been kind of a mild winter here in south Tennessee. A few nights of 14 degree temps and short stretches of 30ish temps. I heat with wood and use sawmill slabs that I get for free. There about 6 hardwood mills and one cerar mill within 5 miles of me. They pile the slabs up and burn them to get rid of them. My cost this year has been about $50. Thats with depreciation of heater and stovepipe, gas, oil and chainsaw stuff. I doubt most people will get by for cheaper than I do unless they live in a tropical climate but I wish you luck!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The last three years for gas and electric have averaged about 160.00 a month.This is a house where three of the four people dont know how to turn off a light.I have become my father.I have hot water heat 1937 circa house.Replaced the windows[27] and thats about it.After we add on I was going to add a outside woodburner for the hot water heat.Was also thinking of using my well for geo-themal cooling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Heat only, runs about $2000.00 a year. My house is well insulated. Just f@%king cold!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I heat with a lump coal stove and happen to get free coal every month from work. The only cost to heating would be the blower fan to which it may add a dollar or two to the utility bill. This is in Wyoming where it gets down below zero.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If you live in a cold winter area and heat with gas you need to get a 90+ efficiency  furnace. The savings are substantial and the comfort is also. They are expensive up front but worth it. Put some money into attic insulation or new windows also.

Get prices from at least three contractors before you buy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm with ARgon.  We live in MA and this has been a very mild winter.  Heating has been around 2000.00 and always about 150.00 - 175.00 for electric.  I have six bedrooms to heat and two large living rooms where we spend a lot of time.  Our bills last year were way higher.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]
What's a heater?

[img]www.wilsoninfo.com/arizonaCx_c1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's a heater?

[img]www.wilsoninfo.com/arizonaCx_c1.gif[/img]
View Quote

A Colt 1911A1 circa 1932
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top