Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 8:35:04 AM EDT
Just when you thought you'd heard it all, here's a bill to put POTATO GUNS in the same legal category as mortars and grenades and big naval guns:

[url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2501-2550/ab_2513_bill_20020221_introduced.html[/url]

Here's what the San Diego Daily Fishwrap has to say about the bill:

[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/sat/news/news_1n9spudguns.html[/url]

It's a very silly bill.  A spud gun or any other device used to launch a bomb, incendiary device, chemical weapon, etc. is already a state and federal destructive device.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop the madness.

Before they turn me into a FELON!

[img]members.cox.net/southparkmilitia/images/guns/spud/spudgun1.jpg[/img]

That should do it.  btt.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It hasn't happened yet.  The bill is still in early stages.

It's very poorly written, very poorly thought out, and it can be stopped.  I'm not sure whether to use reason, ridicule, or a healthy serving of both.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Who's idea was it to make potato guns DDs?  This is the worst, most laughable gun control law EVER.  This would only be worthy of mockery, if the mindset that it belies were so frightning.  A legislature willing to even consider such a bill...?
Truly scary laws await the future...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't a bottle rocket or model rocket with report be defined as a DD under this bill?
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who's idea was it to make potato guns DDs...
View Quote

Assembly Member Jay La Seur of the 77th Caliban Assembly Prefecture.

[size=4][b]He's a REPUBLICAN!!![/b][/size=4]

Here's his Web site:

[url]http://republican.assembly.ca.gov/members/77/[/url]

Some thoughtful emails and letters might be in order.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wouldn't a bottle rocket or model rocket with report be defined as a DD under this bill?
View Quote

No.  Most "common fireworks" including bottle rockets are illegal under a different code section.

Model rockets are protected by some other weird code.  You can fly up to 'E' engines in a lot of public parks, at beaches, etc. (with some restrictions of course).
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Next up - [b][red]Water Balloon Sling Shot[/b][/red]

Jim
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
CA Kid

I am glad they have seperate legislation to protect us from those evil fireworks.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
SC is a fun state.  Nowhere else in the USA can you find a fireworks store right next to a gas station.  With the store owner smoking a cigar right behind the big NO SMOKING sign.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
WTF?  I can't even have a spud gun anymore? My scoutmaster used to make a potato gun for every kid in my troop who made Eagle Rank.  [pissed]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess some of the Legislatures saw Tremors III and watched a Potato Gun used as a serious deterant to the flying evolution of the creature in the movie.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF?  I can't even have a spud gun anymore? My scoutmaster used to make a potato gun for every kid in my troop who made Eagle Rank.  [pissed]
View Quote

Please don't jump to conclusions.  [b]THIS IS ONLY A BILL[/b].  It has a long journey before it could ever become law.

Check this out:  [url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/[/url]

Go to "Bill Information".  Put "AB2222" in the bill number field and hit the Search button.

La Seur has a reputation for having bats in his belfry.  The Assembly USUALLY ignores him.  This is your chance to contact YOUR Assembly member and talk about it!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Kid,

You might as well go ahead and put a bayonet lug and collapsable stock on that thing!

Saleen
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The California legislature is over paid and they have come up with some of the stupidist laws in the country.  Unfortunately they also believe everything Hollywood tells them.  So if its in a movie then it must be true.  That the legislature should show some common sense is beyond them as they are out of touch with reality.  

Have fun with the spud gun[bounce]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Just fired off this letter, He prolly won't read it, but I HAD to say something.

It's not a crime to call a big shot politician stupid, is it?

Thanks for the E-mail link, Cali Kid.  Here's what I sent him.

[I understand you have a bill in the works to make spud guns illegal?

That is far and away the most STUPID legislation I have ever heard of.  You should be ashamed to call yourself a Republican.  Please concentrate harder on formulating policy that actually has a potential to help society.  The trend in government to criminalize everything will continue to ruin peoples lives, as long as people like you insist on trying to turn law abiding citizens into criminals.  Thank you for your time.  Sincerely, Bill Sotatop.]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
At first I thought this was another ridiculous bill by the democrats, but then I read this:

Quoted:

Assembly Member Jay La Seur of the 77th Caliban Assembly Prefecture.

[size=4][b]He's a REPUBLICAN!!![/b][/size=4]

View Quote

It should now be blatantly evident that this legislation is reasonable and common sense.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sincerely, Bill Sotatop.
View Quote

You don't really think the dim bulb will catch that, do you? [BD]
View Quote

I thought your last name was Seotatop??
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok,

Now I'm afraid.  What if they find out where French Fries come from?  Could they be considered Flechette Rounds?  Dang it.  I love those things.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top