Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2001 12:06:00 PM EDT
I'm new and I don't mean to be ignorant, disrespectful,yada yada yada.I would like to get a Galil in 7.62 in the future, I want know how it compares in terms of reliability and accuracy to the AR type rifle.I'm not trying to start another which one is best but how they compare, I've been told the Galil is the best type of AK.Does anyone know where I can get an semi leo Galil? The reason why I ask this question here, is because people here seem to know there s#%& and are honest in their responses.THANKS
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The Galil was originally designed to be a 5.56, the 308 version was made as an afterthought.  While the 308 is not a bad gun, the magazines are INCREDIBLY expensive (over a hundred dollars each).  The 5.56 Galil has much cheaper mags available ($30 Orlites from CDNN) because those mags were produced in bulk for the Israeli military.  
If you are in the market for a semiauto 308, the DSA FAL is one of the best for the money.  If you like the AR design, the AR10 is a good gun, but you have to feed it quality ammo, not military surplus.
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had both and loved them for different reasons. My Galil was a ARM in .308 w/folding stock, nite sights and bi-pod. It is heavy at over 10 lbs. unloaded. Never had a malfunction of any kind with it. It is accurate with the iron sights and a side mounted reciever scope mount is made for it. If you find one, expect prices above $2,500.00. Check the gun auction sights. Mags are expensive. If I could afford another one I would'nt hesitate. My AR was an Olympic Arms Ultramatch. This gun was unreal. It shot under an inch with quality ammo at 100 yards. This gun had a couple of functioning problems. One was my fault (okay, everybody laugh) forgot to wipe the oil out of the chamber after I pulled it out to shoot. Remember, I had the Galil handy in case something got interesting. So the AR was kept in storage mode. I'm sure the Galil would function if dropped in the mud,sand or whatever.
The AR-10 would be excellent choice though
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Well ,thanks for the info, I have an AR-10 coming soon.Do you know where I could find a L.E.O. version?
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ghostface,
I am interested also in the Galil and AK type of weapons. Robinson Arms is importing a high quality Ak style of weapon called VEPER II. It comes in .308, 7.62X39 & .223. They are made in Russa, and look like the best quality AK I've seen. I've got a Norenco AK I got back in 88, it shoots flawlessly but its not a piece of art. If I could come up with the money for the Galil i would probably not shoot it much because of its value. I was considering a VEPER II in .223 until the group purchase came along. If you wanted a LEO verson they would be sweet with a folding stock and shorter barrel. Maybe someone here has one and could give us both some feedback. Check out their website. Thanks, Jeff[url]http://www.robarm.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info FRO, I like you have my heart set on a Galil. I believe I'll waite until someone points me to a L.E.O. dealer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
First, let me be clear, I am an AR man to the bone.

Now here's my take on the Galil.

If you take the M-16, FAL, AK and combine their strongest assets you get the Galil. The Israelis have refined this unit to the point many now feel the Galil is one the world's best assualt type rifles. The Galil is heavy when compared to say the M-16. When a 5.56 Galil is fired using a full auto burst it should place all shots into a chest sized target at say 50-75 meters. It does good at practical miltary engagment distances and is very accurate for it's intended use.

I believe the SADF do mfg. the Galil under license and there could be others. Like most everything the Israeli make... the Galil was tested and designed to work flawlessly in the sand and mud and whatever muck is worked into the guts. The IDF really can't afford to have equipment failures in the heat of battle while out numbered 5-1.

IMHO, I believe the AR is much more accurate rifle compared to the Galil. I'm not an AK fan, but if I was forced to select an AK type weapon it would no doubt be the Galil, is it fair to catergorize it as an AK type?

Just me thinking loud.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get a galil at gunsamerica.com and go to their custum search.  I want a galil for sentimental reasons but I guess I would actualy get an fal instead since I could get parts and magazines cheaper. I did hear that the fal had some problems in the desert but I think that they are reliable.

Are the Isrealis tossing the galil for the m16 or the tavor? I keep hearing different stories.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top