Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 6:43:49 AM EDT

A.A.A.D.D. !  

They have finally found a diagnosis for my  condition. Hooray!!  

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder...  

This is how it goes: I decide to wash the car; I  start toward the garage  and notice the mail on the table.  Ok, I'm going to wash the car. But first I'm  going to go through the  mail. I lay the car keys down on the  desk, discard the junk mail and I notice the  trashcan is full. Ok, I'll  just put the bills on my desk and  take the trashcan out, but since I'm going to be  near the mailbox anyway,  I'll pay these few bills first.  

Now, where is my checkbook? Oops, there's only one  check left. My extra  checks are in my desk.  

Oh, there's the coke I was drinking. I'm going to  look for those checks.  

But first I need to put my coke further away from  the computer, oh maybe  I'll pop it into the fridge to keep  it cold for a while.  

I head towards the kitchen and my flowers catch my  eye, they need some  water. I set the coke on the  counter and uh oh! There are my glasses. I was  looking for them all  morning! I'd better put them away first.  

I fill a container with water and head for the  flower pots - - Aaaaaagh!  

Someone left the TV remote in the kitchen. We'll  never think to look in  the kitchen tonight when we want to  watch television so I'd better put it backin the  family room where it  belongs.  

I splash some water into the pots and onto the  floor, I throw the remote  onto a soft cushion on the sofa and  I head back down the hall trying to figure out  what it was I was going to  do?  

End of Day: The car isn't washed, the bills are  unpaid, the coke is  sitting on the kitchen counter,  the flowers are half watered, the checkbook still  only has one check in it  and I can't seem to find my car  keys! When I try to figure out how come nothing  got done today, I'm  baffled because I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL  DAY LONG!!! I realize this is a serious  condition and I'll get help, BUT  FIRST I think I'll check my e-mail...  

Damn if this just doesn't ring too true. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need a COLD one!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm intimately familiar with your condition. There's no cure but I have developed certain coping skills.

I've taken to putting things in my pockets as reminders. I notice them later and it reminds me of what I was doing when I got distracted.

I wander around the house collecting artefacts like a 3 dimensional to-do list. When my pockets are full, I start pulling things out and doing whatever they remind me of.

Once I've emptied my pockets, I repeat the process.

Problem is my pants keep falling down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like they just renamed the "but first" disease.

I'm gonna go take a shower, but first I'll go pay the bills, but first I'll get myself a drink, but first let me clean the refridgerator, but first I'll defrost the steaks, but first I'll do the dishes...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm also familiar with this problem...now I know what to tell my wife the next time I'm accused of this condition  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's just a variant of the CRS syndrome?  Might want to get a second opinion!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
That sounds like me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#7]
dude,
you should be on disability. Just send me your form.[:)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to try some "medicinal" marijuana.

-SS
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
The cure is an old one:  Walk right past all that junk, pick up your AR and some ammo and head for the range.  At the end of the day, the same things are still undone, but you'll know what you were doing all day.

[:)]

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to do something today.... not sure what it was..
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The cure is an old one:  Walk right past all that junk, pick up your AR and some ammo and head for the range.  At the end of the day, the same things are still undone, but you'll know what you were doing all day.

[:)]

View Quote

I usually do something like that. Today it's a funshow. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I truly feel you pain.  Here's my coping mechanism and

The words I live by.

"Why do today what you can put off for tomorrow"
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What if you wrote down in a small notebook what you are going to do as soon as you decide to do it. Add to the list as you go and cross off things as you complete them. This will give you a "running" list of all the errands/jobs you were going to do each day.
View Quote

As one who was also recently diagnosed for the same thing, that just doesnt work.  I MEAN to write stuff down, but before I do, I get distracted with something else.  BTW, it doesnt seem to effect things that you want to do, only things that you have to do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#15]
The cure is simple:  

Get married or get a good girlfriend.  Let HER deal with those chores.  All you have to worry about is remembering where your keys are and to bring the shooting supplies you need in your range bag when you go to the range to go shooting.   Make a list of the contents of that range bag, with quantities, and guess what?  It's her job to keep that properly stocked, too! All you have to do is grab your rifle, your range bag, jump in the car, and GO!

Oh, I'm going to get it now, I bet!  [peep]
I'll probably regret that....[grenade]

CJ

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy crap... that's me to a T!  I didn't think my condition had a name, I just thought I was forgetful, or at least got sidetracked easily.  Scary!  Shit, I'm only 27!

cmjohnson, you are absolutely right about the good girlfriend, she takes care of the details, I just load up the jeep and head to the range!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm intimately familiar with your condition. There's no cure but I have developed certain coping skills.

I've taken to putting things in my pockets as reminders. I notice them later and it reminds me of what I was doing when I got distracted.

I wander around the house collecting artefacts like a 3 dimensional to-do list. When my pockets are full, I start pulling things out and doing whatever they remind me of.

Once I've emptied my pockets, I repeat the process.

Problem is my pants keep falling down.
View Quote

I tried this and I kept washing my pants with all the crap in the pockets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My Father engages in a hobby my wife calls "Better Homes and Puttering."  Sound familiar?

Edited to correct that my wife coined the phrase.  (Sitting correctly in my place now.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, an entire website of people with the same problem as me....
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Hell, that's day to day normal routine for me. I've found that doing absolutely nothing for the entire day helps out quite a bit. [xx(] [xx(]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top