BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 5:37:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the CMOS battery.

Does the motherboard's BIOS keep track of the temp of the processor?  Does the beeping start as soon as the computer boots up or after it has been on for awhile?  Have you inspected fans, power supply, etc and make sure they are all working and not dust covered?

What brand of MB?  What processor?  Overclocked?

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Ilikelegs,
Check out your air inlet/output holes on the computer case for dust or anything else blocking them. My computer will beep when it overheats and clearing the vents takes care of the problem. Hope that helps

Karl
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
What have you touched on it latley?
When was the last time it worked?

1.re-seat the video card.
2. re-seat the memory.
3.double check anything that you have touched or removed to be sure its seated and not backwards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto to GoatBoy's reply:

sounds like problem I had recently.. I have an AMD750, started beeping after being on for extended periods.  My PC is a custom build (aka: mutt), but my builder was "johnny on the spot" for me.  Turns out the AMD has various alarms, one being processor fan speed, in addition to temp, other fans, etc..  Simply replaced fan, all is well (no charge after 1 yr+ !).  As GB noted, be sure you cpu is located such to provide adequate ventilation, not tight in corners under desk.

On start-up, you can go into system set-up and check where alarm triggers are set for.  May be just configuration.

Hope this helps,
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
That's definitely the CPU or motherboard chipset overheating.  Your motherboard manufacturer should have some monitoring utilities showing temperature and fan speed available for download.

It should run fine without the case being closed.. Most likely causes are the CPU fan not spinning fast enough or at all, or the heat sink being loose.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, or someone might have played a joke on you and changed your temperature alarm setting way way down.  Check that in the bios setup.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Or, one of your fans, or fan speed sensor has died.

Go into your BIOS when the system beeps (try del, F10, F12, esc keys, depending on manufacturer). Then look for "Tempurature / Monitoring" type of selection.

In there you will see fan speeds, and system temperature. Something has exceeded it's limits. Your system is letting you know that something is wrong. Look at the one that is giving you an error and take approprate action, repair/replace, or turn off that setting.

Good luck, this message will self destruct in 30 seconds... 1, 2, 3, ... [grenade]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 2:15:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Ya, use 12-gauge slugs on the mutt!!!!

I have some reserved for the ol' "Zeos" Pantera P90 I bought years ago for $3,013.00!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 2:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the make, model, and revision number of your motherboard.  Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and look under support for the beep codes.  It will tell you EXACTLY what the beeps mean.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Screw all of this replacing the fans or leaving the cover off stuff. I vote for you to shoot the thing!!![uzi]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Legs,

Do you have a weather bug installed on your computer? Weather bug is real time news and weather reminder. The one I have an alarm when some kind of weather advisory come out. ie.. wind advisory or flood watch. It took me a few weeks to figure out where that damn beeping was coming from.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ya, use 12-gauge slugs on the mutt!!!!

View Quote

i always use the waterhose on the mutts when they lock up and make noises, works every time
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Your problem may be that you are running it with the cover off.

I was always told that the computer's fan is designed to circulate air though the closed system.

Also, with all of those devices in the system, how many watts is your power supply?

My weather bug "chirps" when there is an advisory and the temp icon changes to a white lady bug also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top