Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2010 6:32:08 PM EDT
He doesn't own a gun, and is looking to get his first.  Someone suggested a CZ as his first gun.  What can you tell me about CZ, and the idea of it being a first gun?

Gun will be for home defense.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Deagle wit da beamz
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
shotgun for simplicity etc.
is he only open to handguns?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Is he a good friend? If not, I forsee a jennings in his future.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
shotgun for simplicity etc.
is he only open to handguns?

He wants a handgun because he will eventually get his CHL.  He won't carry the CZ concealed he says.  He just wants a good gun for now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Handguns are not for beginners IMO.  10/22.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Steer him towards the Darkside (HK)
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield XD-9
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
shotgun = best weapon for home defense
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Springfield XD-9

This.

The safety features make it an awesome first gun

ETA

nuke_boy a troll account or just cleverly named?

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing wrong with starting out with a CZ is that he might find it so suitable that he won't go out and buy a bunch of other guns.  I was a good gunshow customer until I bought my PCR.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't the Swedish Bikini Team shoot CZ's?

Just saying.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Would I reccomend one? Sure, but maybe not as a first gun.

I think a first gun should be super simple

I usually reccomend the XD series to newbies, mostly because there is no DA/SA to fool with, but it still has a safety of sorts

The two CZ pistols I have owned were smooth as silk and very accurate, but I also found them to be somewhat ammo picky. They tended to jam with certain types of target ammo. I dont mess with guns that jam, so I sold them both.

CZ makes a damn fine pistol, they just arent for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have shot a CZ-75B. Great pistol. If I wanted to add a 9mm to my battery, it would be the first pistol I would consider.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I always recommend a DA revolver in .357 for a first gun. You can shoot .38s and it's less complicated for a beginner so they can focus on safety and the fundamentals.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Springfield XD-9

This.    

The safety features make it an awesome first gun

ETA
nuke_boy a troll account or just cleverly named?

WTF!?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend one, but it might not be the best first gun for a rookie.  

My CZ P01 shoots everything I feed it and hasn't jammed yet, plus its accurate too.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell him to get a SP01 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I always recommend a DA revolver in .357 for a first gun. You can shoot .38s and it's less complicated for a beginner so they can focus on safety and the fundamentals.

DA revolvers take more skill to operate them sufficiently. The DA trigger is often cumbersome for newbies to shoot them accurately. It also takes considerably more practice and coordination to become proficient with reloading.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Marlin 60.

Cheap.
Accurate.
Low Recoil.
Fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#21]
4" S&W 686 no-lock or a G19.

HH
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#22]
No. I have never shot a CZ.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#23]
CZ, or not Cz, that is the question ?

CZ what son, you sound like a fucking hood rat.......Le'me see d.at Glok Homes, no les see th CZ....Thas betrr..........I like's dat......

So what " starter gun " are we talking about here, other than a ........You know a "CZ"  ?

Sorry if i'm comming off a bit caustic here, but damn !
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I have never used a CZ. They could be the best guns in the world for all I know. Even if they are, I wouldn't recommend one for a first gun, because they aren't very common. Just like I wouldn't recommend a High Point for a first gun, cuz they aren't very common (amoung many other reasons). There are going to be more resources for information for guns that are very common.

Glock
Xd (only because it's a sort of wierd cross between the two)

Pros and cons to each of course, but there are lots of people that know lots of stuff about each of these guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#25]
CZ75's are great, just make sure your friend doesn't get a CZ52 or something like that for home defense.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have never used a CZ. They could be the best guns in the world for all I know. Even if they are, I wouldn't recommend one for a first gun, because they aren't very common. Just like I wouldn't recommend a High Point for a first gun, cuz they aren't very common (amoung many other reasons). There are going to be more resources for information for guns that are very common.

Glock
Xd (only because it's a sort of wierd cross between the two)

Pros and cons to each of course, but there are lots of people that know lots of stuff about each of these guns.

I know nothing about CZ guns.  Never shot one, and probably couldnt even identify one in a a lineup.

To me though, it seems more logical to stick with a "name brand" gun as a first gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Never owned or fired, but I read a lot and the burden of material seems to be positive, FWIW
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I've never owned one but I've shot several.  I have no complaints but I'm not interested in owning one either simply because I have other interests.  Jeff Cooper seemed to think highly of them.  The Bren Ten was modeled after one.  It's a highly copied designed all over Europe and even Israel.  

You might check out the site that indicates there is a relationship between the BHP and the CZ.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#29]
There are plenty of people who have never owned a gun but know a lot about them. He might have learned from parents or friends. He could even, in theory, be a very experienced shooter. The fact that he picked out the CZ as a potential first pistol indicates to me that he knows something about firearms. The fact that he cares what other people think tells me that he’s not very experienced.

I’ve never fired a CZ but I’ve owned and fired plenty of similar designs and there’s no reason he shouldn’t get one as his first handgun. (My first handgun was a Taurus PT99 which is the same class of pistol.) The CZ pistols have a good reputation. I’ve heard people say they prefer a different gun or that there are better pistols out there. But I’ve never heard anyone seriously say that the CZs aren’t good pistols. If he wants one and it feels right in his hand then that’s what he should get.

If someone wants a gun but has no real interest in firearms or in shooting then I would recommend a .357 revolver because it’s so simple to use. The mechanics of using one well are much more difficult of course, but a person like this isn’t going to use an autopistol well either. But when someone is actually interested and wants to learn then any (reasonable) pistol is acceptable as a first gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#30]
S&W 686+
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#31]
honestly I think a 22lr rifle would be better served. A Marlin Model 60, Ruger 10/22, Savage MkII, or CZ 452 would be ideal

But then again most first time adult gun buyers tend to look at the 22lr with distain as something of a kid's gun and think that they can figure out a hand gun or rifle with no training.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Start with a 22 or a shotgun so he can shoot cheep.
Spending $100 each time you go out can take the fun out of shooting when you start out.
Hell it takes the fun out of it now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Post to clairify :  CZ has been in the firearm biz. for well over 50 years, and has made/ makes firearms in the range of small /med.pistols, to small /large bore rifles as welll as shotguns. Calibers from .22lr- .375h&h at least

Ok to answer your poll:

Have you shot them ?    Yea some of them,but not all.

Would you recomend them?   Some, but not all.

Now, 'caus I'm a nice guy, i'm going to think the best of you, and I'll wait for the particulars on said firearm.

Then I may make a recomenation or not.........BASED on the MERITS of the MODEL...........But never strictly on a brand name.

I'll let go of your tail now, at least for the present.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#34]
My first gun was a CZ 52. I still have it and love it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top