Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2002 5:38:57 PM EDT
A buddy of mine just bought a Remington 597 (with the plastic mags).  I asked him why he didn't spend the extra $30 on a 10-22, and he said he didn't have the extra $$$.  So anyway, he picks up the rifle.  I help him strip it down and make sure it's oiled (it felt kind of stiff).  The whole time I'm taking it down I'm giggling to myself at how crappy it is.  So we get it back together, it feels a little smoother (but still not impressed).  We load it up and take it to the yard (he lives in a rural area) and test fire it.  It fires ONE SHOT and jams.  The bolt came back, ejected the spent case, and instead of stripping the next round out of the mag, it smashed it against the inside of the mag.  I pried the offending round out of the mag, reinserted mag, and tried to chamber the next round.  bolt went forward, but I could see that it didn't close properly.  The base of the round was still held firmly between the lips of the magazine, with the bullet pointing straight up in the chamber.  At this point I gave up trying.  He asked me what to do.  I told him "trade it for a Ruger."  I've had the dubious pleasure of using three of these rifles, and they all have had feeding/ejecting problems.  Supposedly the new metal mags will fix the problem, but I'll believe it when I see it.  

Anybody else have problems with this particular rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top