Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 12:29:33 PM EDT
Instead Lamar Alexander seems to be the top candidate.  I think Mr. Thompson is one we can all thank for his service.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Thompson will be sorely missed.  I always thought of him as one of the better representatives we had in congress.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Not good news.

I wonder what caused him to change his mind as he was going to run again ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
He hasn't said, but speculation runs around him mourning his daughters death back in January. Who could blame him.  He might run again, but who knows.  Yeah, I didn't agree with everything, but he Is honest and real, and in Washington that hard to find.

NICE WORK MR. THOMPSON. IT IS APPRECIATED

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I fully expect Lamar Alexander to win his seat.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a huge loss. Not just for supporters of RKBA, but for conservatives and sensible government as well. He would make an excellent president.

Lamar Alexander? I'm not impressed. To me he is the republican version of Klinton.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I got to meet Fred at Barbara Mandrell's Skeet Shoot a couple of years ago. Wonderfully nice fellow.

Ya'll got to remember that he's been in DC since the Watergate days with the Nixon bunch, a loooooooong time. He's ready, IMO, to go back to making movies & probably making more money than he is now.  >gg<

He's one of the FEW politicians who's not been touched by some sort of scandal: bribes, Enron, waste, etc. etc.

No doubt he'd make a damn fine prez, he'd kill any Dem who debated him.

As for Lamar, I wouldn't bet on him just yet. There's a few others who'd probably be able to beat him in the primary, Knox mayor Victor Ashe would be my guess/choice.

Can anyone imagine Fred & Gordon Liddy teaming up to make a movie????  The "cool factor" would be off the scale!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a sad day in Tennessee.

I just hope that Victor Ashe doesn't run for his seat.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
[>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(]

on the plus side, maybe hollywood can actually have real men starring in its movies now.

but i'd still rather have him in congress than in movies.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
He WILL be missed, for sure!!  Best of luck to him in any future endeavors.

I think I'll forward a link to this thread to his office.

Tate

edit - done - sent the link - hope an assistant will at least take the time to view this thread and mention it to the senator
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Republicans will probly get Lamar Alexander to run.  

Have heard that Harold Ford JR is probly going to make a run for the Dems.  That is sorta scary.  But at least he hasnt called his non-black constiuents 'White Devils' like his dad (who he 'inherited' the congressional seat from) did.  And he seems to be better spoken and has so far avoided the quasi-criminal activities of his uncle John Ford (a state legislator, who threated untility workers with a shotgun, waved a gun out his sunroof at a trucker, etc).  Them Fords are a real interesting bunch down here in Memphis.  

Harold Jr comes off as intelligent articulate and reasonable, a very bad combination.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I've always thought it was a little odd to be a Senator in real life and play a bureaucrat in the movies.  Since most actors have no grip on reality whatsoever, I wonder if the esteemed Mr. Thomson  does either.  Blurring the lines between real and make believe is never good.

Plus, he was in office far too long to do any real good for this nation.  

I don't know why I bother to say that though because the more I look around, the more I know that America as a free republic is dead anyways.  Might as well pile on the atrocities at this point, it will only hasten the eventual collapse and maybe take us back to some kind of reality.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]

I've always thought it was a little odd to be a Senator in real life and play a bureaucrat in the movies. Since most actors have no grip on reality whatsoever, I wonder if the esteemed Mr. Thomson does either. Blurring the lines between real and make believe is never good.
View Quote

You can take one look at Mr. Thompson you can hear his voice and you know that the man has full control of his faculties and is a no bullshit person. That much is evident.

Plus, he was in office far too long to do any real good for this nation.
View Quote

Have you ever sat and watched him in a senate hearing on CSPAN??? The man has his shit together.  He did real good for this nation and that is the first time that I have ever said that for anybody since Ronaldus Magnus.

I don't know why I bother to say that though because the more I look around, the more I know that America as a free republic is dead anyways. Might as well pile on the atrocities at this point, it will only hasten the eventual collapse and maybe take us back to some kind of reality
View Quote

Would you surrender your mother?? Would you surrender your father?? Of course your family is more important than America, But Blood is Blood, and America is in my Blood.  You can't surrender it without surrendering your Soul as well.

Trickshot, I have thought that way before, But you have got to fight. Have you ever heard the saying , "Evil spreads where good men fail to act." .  Trickshot, I see what you are saying more clearly then you realize, all I have to say is this.  Americans are not powerless they have been ignorant at times but they are not powerless and they are never without a way to get what they want, if they will reach down and grab hold and go.[Thinking]

Benjamin

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I think he's heart broken over Lorrie Morgan getting hitched.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  

I don't know why I bother to say that though because the more I look around, the more I know that America as a free republic is dead anyways.  Might as well pile on the atrocities at this point, it will only hasten the eventual collapse and maybe take us back to some kind of reality.
View Quote

America has a large number of ups and downs coming before its final collapse. Before it is over we will become an empire that will make Rome look like Guatemala. Even now things are improving. Maybe not everything but improving, nonetheless.
If you really want to work towards improving this country support efforts that enhance responsiblity and self reliance. Put an end to entitlements. So doing will decrease the size of government and their power over us in numerous ways. Forcing people to rely on themselves will end liberalism. Without a constituency of losers with their hand out the democratic party as we know it will cease to exist. It'll be TEOTWAWKI for liberals. Self-reliance would force an end to the everything is going to hurt me mentality. Sounds like Utopia to me[+]:D]
I know, fat chance. What do you want from me anyway?[:)]

Thompson is at the top of my short list for people who I would like to be President. Still. Who knows what's in his future?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top