Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2002 3:24:49 PM EDT
$10,000 writ bond for murder??

Hey DonR keep me posted on how this plays out in court, can't wait to see what defense lawyer drams up.

Posted on Thu, Mar. 07, 2002
                                               Bizarre details of man's death revealed Hit-and-run victim lived for two days while trapped in windshield.
By DEANNA BOYD Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - When Gregory Glenn Biggs' body was found in October in Cobb Park, evidence pointed to a hit-and-run.

But in the past two weeks, police have learned that Biggs lived for two or three days after he was hit, lying on a car hood in a southeast Fort Worth garage, his body trapped in the windshield.

Despite Biggs' pleas, police said, the driver refused to help and left him to die. Afterward, the body was dumped in the park.

"I'm going to have to come up with a new word. Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Heartless? Inhumane? Maybe we've just
redefined inhumanity here," said Richard Alpert, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney.

What happened to the 37-year-old Biggs, police said, was not a simple case of a driver's failure to stop to help an injured man. It was homicide, they said.

"If he had gotten medical attention, he probably would have survived," traffic investigation Sgt. John Fahrenthold said.

Wednesday, police arrested Chante Mallard, a 25-year-old nurse's aide, basing their case primarily on Mallard's confession about four months later of what happened on an October night as she drove near the East Loop 820 split with U.S. 287.

Mike Heiskell, Mallard's attorney, called the woman's arrest on a murder warrant premature.

"I think this is overreaching on the part of the prosecution and the police, and in the end, I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid," Heiskell said.

By Mallard's account, as told to police, she had been drinking and using Ecstasy that October night and was driving home when she struck a man.

The impact hurled him headfirst through the windshield, his broken legs protruding onto the hood. She panicked, she said, and with the man lodged in the windshield, she drove a few miles to her home. There, she parked her 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier in the garage and lowered the door.

Biggs pleaded for help, she told police.

He got none. Not then, or for the next two or three days, as he remained lodged in the windshield, bleeding and slowly going into shock, police said.

Mallard told police she periodically went into the garage to check on the man. She said she apologized profusely to him for what she had done but ignored his cries for help.

When the man died, several of the woman's acquaintances helped remove his body, putting it into the trunk of another car and driving to Cobb Park, where they dumped it, police quoted the woman as saying. Two men found the body Oct. 27.

"This goes so far beyond failure to stop and render aid because she did more than not render aid," Alpert said. "She made it impossible for anyone else to do so."

Mallard first surfaced in the investigation last month when police received a tip that she might have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, Fahrenthold said.

Mallard had recently told a friend "bits and pieces" about an accident when questioned at a party about why she was no longer driving her car, Fahrenthold said........

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
"Within the next day or so this girl came forward and told what had happened because she couldn't live with that," he said.

On Feb. 26, police obtained a search warrant for Mallard's house in the 3800 block of Wilbarger Street. Inside her garage, they found the damaged Cavalier. Blood, hair and other trace evidence was visible inside and outside the car, he said.

The car's seats had been removed and were found in the back yard, one of them burned, Fahrenthold said.

Mallard agreed to go to the police station for questioning. There, she gave a statement and was arrested for failure to stop and render aid.

She was free on bail when officers arrived at her home Wednesday morning and arrested her on the upgraded warrant charging her with murder. Later in the day, she was released on a $10,000 writ bond

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office has told police that Biggs suffered no internal injuries and apparently died from loss of blood and shock, Fahrenthold said.

The investigation is continuing and other arrests are expected, he said.

"We think there are other people involved, at least after he had passed, in taking the body and putting it in the park," he said.

Biggs' mother, Meredith Biggs, said she and her son had been estranged for several years. Medical examiner's records listed Gregory Biggs' address as 1415 E. Lancaster Ave., a homeless shelter.

Meredith Biggs said she and her daughter, Janeen, had recently begun  looking for him. They were frightened when a search on an ancestry Web site a couple of months ago indicated that he had died. They prayed it was a
hoax.

Wednesday, she learned it was not, and was told the details about her son's death.

"How could she just leave him like that to die?" she sobbed. "Drugs and alcohol wear off, so why didn't she get him some help?

"I should have prayed more."
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Cold-blooded, deliberate, pre-meditated, murder in the 1st degree.  If the prosecutor charges her with or goes for anything less, he's a disgrace.  This woman deserves the death penalty.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit man, this is sick.  Kinda makes me think that this has the potential for an outrageous TV movie.  What a disgrace for a human being.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Grin, I wish I knew what to tell you on this one. It's got me scratching my head too.  I'll talk to some of my FWPD buddies and try to get more info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
"I should have prayed more."
View Quote

That's sad.  His mother blames herself for her son's death because she didn't pray enough.z
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That chick doesn't deserve the death penalty.

She deserves to be slowly bled to death after her limbs have been smashed with a claw hammer.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Hate to say it guys.  But the race card is gonna get played on this one.  I can smell it already.  Sucks for the dead guy.  His family will have a hard time getting justice.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My boss thinks we should load her in a cannon and shoot her into a winshield, see if she lasts 3 days.

The only good news is the kidnapping law.  If someone jumps into your car and you drive off with them, when they want out, if you don't let them out, that's kidnapping.  This guy was kidnapped.  A murder that happens during a kidnapping is capital murder in Texas.  She should get the needle, which is too kind for her.

She was also a nurses aide.  She is a waste of oxygen, as I'm sure the oxygen producing species on this planet would reject this scabs co2.

WL

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Burned at the stake?  Who so fast and painless (well, relative to what can be done).

The old ways are the best.

The Turks would head a metal rod, put it on the body of the person and let it burn it's way in a bit...it would slowly cool and heal over.  After about 2-3 days, they'd rip the rod out of the skin and start again...you could keep Chante howling for weeks doing this.

The Natchez Indians had fun with their prisoners (they scalped em first though) Chante's a fat pig, maybe slowly roasting a finger and then feeding it to her or her daughter has an old-fashioned beauty to it.  As a nurses aide, I'm sure you could show her various veins and muscle groups, one at a time on her arm...or her daughters arm (remember, Janeen was there too!

There really are many many interesting techniques that should be used on this lovely group (don't forget the neighbors who helped).  It'll never happen though.  The murderer is the wrong sex and color to be punished...they still haven't announced what color the victim is...Hmmm, wonder if that means he's white?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Now watch that woman get off for killing all her kids.   TX got something for killers of kids & homeless?

I used to think they had capial punishment in TX.  Damn I hope you don't go the way of IL

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I think this is overreaching on the part of the prosecution and the police, and in the end, I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid," Heiskell said.
View Quote

I wonder how this lawyer would feel if it was his son?  I'm sure he will make the case that the guy should have got the hell out of her way!
How do guys like this sleep at night?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Evil Bitch.

Sounds like a Stephen King story.

TX is not known for being soft on crime, so we will just have to see.

Of course, if it can be proven that the homeless guy comitted a hate crime by busting in her windshield, then she will walk. Sounds like a job for Johnny Cockgrin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, you can bet the groceries, this one is going to be a TV movie.

Think about it.
Have we really come to this in society?
She kept going to check on him, like he was a wounded raccoon or something.
Her "friends" (drug buddies?) advised her not to call for help ???!!!!!

I am sure that people like this are the exception, and not the rule, but, still, it makes me wonder about the future.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Evil Bitch.

Sounds like a Stephen King story.
View Quote

Precisely what I was thinking.

And the dictionary definition of "Depraved Indifference."

I was going to say I'd put a dog down that behaved that way, but dogs aren't capable of that kind of behavior.  Only "humans" seem to be.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I have yet to receive a response from the author of the article as to the ethnic origins of both the victim and the perpetrator.

Does anyone know?

Also if the lady is black and the victim is white or vice versa would this be considered a hate crime?

Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#19]
The only good news is the kidnapping law. If someone jumps into your car and you drive off with them, when they want out, if you don't let them out, that's kidnapping. This guy was kidnapped. A murder that happens during a kidnapping is capital murder in Texas.
View Quote

Good point.  And kidnapping is a federal crime -- where are those FBI agents with the itchy trigger fingers when you need one?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#20]
The driver of the car was a black woman and the man killed (eventually) was white. In a case like this it shouldn't matter but I'm sure it will.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm certain it will be shown to be a case of the white male attacking the minority female in her vehicle.  The white male was obviously attempting to carjack the minority female.  Under no circumstances can comparisons to a dragging death be made.  This is another deplorable case of white on black crime.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I just saw the attorney for Mallord on CNN. He was articulate, smooth and arrogant to think that he actually has case that will win in a court of law.

He was using trigger words (most lawyers do)to evoke sympathy at this medium i.e., she's an emotional girl, our sympathy goes out to the Biggs family and she's young and didn't know what she was doing. The feeling process that plays well with many people.

These statements may be true, but it doesn't warrant the taking of someone's life (out of negligence/stupidity) nor does it exonerate them from the full extent of the law because of an attorney's legal semantics or rubbish as I like to call it.

What this attorney is looking for is the collective "sigh" from those that will shallow the dribble that is leaking out. Damage control!

I understand that due process is at hand, but surely this attorney cannot whole heartedly believe that he has a case that "could" be won, yea, even reduced through an exercise in aforementioned futility.

Now where's my attorney! LOL

-pgo-

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#24]
It's always the lawyers fault huh people?

1.  The lawyers don't commit the crimes.
2.  The lawyers aren't the uneducated cattle who can't see through a BS defense story.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#25]

2.  The lawyers aren't the uneducated cattle who can't see through a BS defense story.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#26]
sorry for the double post
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#27]
If she didn't know what the hell she was doing, why did she keep going into the garage and apologizing to the poor SOB stuck in her windshield and begging for help??? [:(!]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey guys, don't be so hard on the poor drug addicted, alcoholic. Sure she let him remain stuck in her windshield with broken bones and slowly bleed to death, but she told him that she was sorry. What do you want from her?  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I just heard on the news that she was joking about this out loud at a party!!! Someone please tell me I heard wrong.  This sick excuse for a human really needs a serious case of lead poisoning[pistol]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#30]
There are ways of dealing with"people" like this. Unfortunately the "Court" has already set the tone with bail.Damn bleeding heart liberals......
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
sorry for the double post
View Quote

FYI -That little trash can to the right above your post will make it go away.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My boss thinks we should load her in a cannon and shoot her into a winshield, see if she lasts 3 days.

View Quote

I wholeheartedly agree.  Though not a religious person, i have to admit that the bible has some excellent guidelines for crime and punisment.  In this case(and entirely too many these days) "eye for an eye" sounds like it would be an appropriate measure.  Let her see how it feels to be stuck in a windshield for a few days-the final ironic touch would be someone coming out to visit her every few hours, and telling her that they were "real sorry that they had to do this".  Poetic justice.  Sounds about right to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Didn't anyone notice that she was driving around with a man stuck in her windshield?  It's not as if this happened way out in the boonies where there wouldn't be any witnesses.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Vicious subhuman crime... we've seen them before.

But... what makes this one different is the obvious racial issue we are all discussing.

We can reverse the color and see the outcome...

White man in Texas runs down black woman, drags her body for miles. Let's her bleed to death over two days. Keeps checking on her until she's completely bled out. Gets his other "white" buddies to hide the body and destroy evidence. He's arrested and then let back on the streets the next day.

Fort Worth erupts in riots.

Texas "Hate Crime" statistics spew all over CNN for the next six weeks.

Candlelight vigils are held across the nation for the (yet another) victim of racist hate-crimes against blacks.

Jesse Jackass's "rent-a-mob" storms City Hall and holds the Mayor and Governor hostage until a summit on racism is held and the all the police investigators and the judge are fired.

CNN/CBS/NBC/ABC/Katie/Bryant/Dan/Peter/Wolf/ all scramble for daily opening leads and in-depth dirty-details of that white-racist's life and background.

Nope. It didn't happen that way. Not one word about hate-crime in the news reports.

Blacks can kill whites anytime, anyday, anyway possible.  But NO ONE in the media is gonna use the "R" word with that drugged-out, [b]FATASS BLACK BITCH[/b].

Is the word "nigger-bitch" allowed on this board? Because that just about sums up the vile disgust I have for her.

If she were white, I probably wouldn't call her a "whitey-bitch" because that almost sounds silly and just doesn't have the sound of utter revulsion I'm feeling. So if she were white, maybe I'd call her a "putrid c*nt-bitch". But since she's black, I guess "nigger-bitch" is just as offensive, IMO.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#35]
She will be the toast of the minority society this weekend.  Supporters will materialize from every corner as a mad rush to comfort her anguish is solicited from every self-loathing white.  She's the victim you understand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Perhaps an attorney's moral compass is broken or depolarized when it comes to making a living or doing the right thing.....it all starts "law school".

-pgo-
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hate to say it guys.  But the race card is gonna get played on this one.  I can smell it already.  Sucks for the dead guy.  His family will have a hard time getting justice.

View Quote
[sniper] justice is no longer the feds perogative.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
justice is no longer the feds perogative.
View Quote

Justice today means just keeping the riots to a minimum.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]
mmmmm...nothing like HOT SEX after having a guy you've rundown stuck through your windshield  bleeding, pleading for help...Xstacy...
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
You know, I thought I'd just about heard it all...Dahmer eating people, kids going screwy and gunning down classmates, moms drowning all of their children...but this just about seals it--WE ARE ALL DOOMED.  

Save yourselves, get a gun, find Jesus, Buddha, or anyone else to keep you eternal soul and hunker down, because the end is nigh.  

This sick bitch should have her lights put out forever.  No debate, no trial, just lop off her head expeditiously and head back to the bunker.

BTW, there certainly is no ethical, moral or any other duty that a lawyer take a case he doesn't believe in or is repugnant to him.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Actually she was released on 10,000 dollars bail.

And the DA went and found another judge who was SANE and now she is under house arrest on $250,000 bail.

Texas Woman Under House Arrest in Windshield Death
Fri Mar 8, 7:23 PM ET

FORT WORTH, Texas (Reuters) - A Texas nurse's aide -- accused of letting a man bleed to death trapped for two days in her car's windshield after she hit him -- was put under house arrest due to a state judge raising her bond to $250,000 on Friday.

Photos

Reuters Photo  

Chante Mallard, 25, was ordered to wear an electronic monitor, avoid drinking or driving and undergo counseling after prosecutors argued the community was outraged by her previous release on a $10,000 bond.

Mallard is charged with murder for allegedly letting Gregory Glen Biggs bleed to death in her garage wedged in her windshield after she hit him on a Fort Worth highway last October. The charge carries a penalty between five years and life.

"It's no secret that the community is outraged by this offense," Tarrant County assistant district attorney Richard Alpert told the court.

Biggs, 37, was hurled headfirst through the windshield by the impact of the late night accident, his broken legs lying across the car's hood.

Instead of seeking help that police say could have saved Biggs' life, Mallard told investigators she panicked and drove to her nearby home, where she closed the garage door with Biggs still in the windshield.

Over the next two days, investigators say, Mallard repeatedly went into the garage but never freed Biggs or called for help.

Biggs, who lived in a city homeless shelter, died of blood loss and shock, according to the coroner's report. He probably would have survived with medical attention, police said.

Biggs' 19-year-old estranged son, Brandon Biggs, who lives in the West Texas town of Albany about 140 miles west of Fort Worth, told the Fort Worth Star-telegram he had no animosity toward Mallard.

"I'm not angry at her. I pray for her actually," he told the newspaper.

Mallard was arrested on Wednesday after police received a tip in the investigation that started with the discovery (news - web sites) of Biggs' body in a Fort Worth park, where it was apparently dumped after he died.

Police said the tipster told them Mallard had told friends at a party that the accident happened after she had been drinking and taking the drug Ecstasy.

Police said a search of Mallard's home found the car still in the garage with the windshield broken and blood and hair evidence intact.
View Quote

Well its not first degree murder, so I dont think they can do No Bail under the law.  But it should be AT LEAST $1 million.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's a photo (images typically expire on Yahoo after two weeks, if you're seeing this late):
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020308/i/1015630642.2483535989.jpg[/img]
URL to Yahoo photo:
http://[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/020308/170/18d86.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Incidentally, for those of you who are pissed off because you think she'll play the "race card", H. Rap Brown just got convicted of murdering a cop and shooting a second cop.  The jury included nine blacks.  Just last Thursday, the day the case went to the jury, someone here was bitching that the jury was sure to let him off.

I don't have much faith in the black community's "leadership", but most people have more sense than the ruling elite anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't difficult.  [b]No one[/b] said it was the lawyer's fault.  She should have a lawyer in court to make sure that she isn't railroaded.  They said, rightly, that it takes a real scumbag to make public statements excusing this behavior.

A third post to excuse a double post?  Learn how the icons work, it's not that hard.  But then, reading posts seems beyond you.  You're an idiot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#48]
According to this article she was remanded to the Tarrant County Jail on Friday.

[url]http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1289003/[/url]

FORT WORTH -- The suspect in what authorities say is one of the most inhumane crimes they have ever seen was a Girl Scout who cared for babies at her church and took nursing classes in college, her family says.

But authorities say Chante J. Mallard's relatives don't truly know the woman, charged with murder after a homeless man she hit died in her garage, his body lodged in her car's windshield.

After some of her family testified at a bond hearing Friday, state District Judge James R. Wilson raised Mallard' bond to $250,000. He said if Mallard posts bail, she must be under house arrest, wear an electronic monitor, continue counseling, avoid alcohol and undergo drug testing.

Wilson also imposed a gag order in the case.

Mallard, who had been released on $10,000 bail after her arrest Wednesday, cried in the courtroom and was taken into custody after the hearing Friday. She remained in the Tarrant County Jail early today.......

Additional stories at:

[url]http://chantemallard.newstrove.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top