[#1]

"Daddee" ~ my son.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Any big block Mopar

The sound of money coming my way
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Buffer Assy in AR's - Music to my Ears!!

Large buck coming towards deer stand.. (providing it turns out to be a buck!)

Sound of nocturnal critters and campfire crackling under northern MN sky at night.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The sound of the superchargers in a Rolls-Royce powered P-51 Mustang.

The A-minor power chord on a 5150 HalfStack tuned to the amps sweet spot and cranked to 5 on the power amp.

The whistle of the wind comming off an F-16 thats down on the deck, with the coals be shoveled to her, then the Boom of the P&W F110 when the fighter is already 400 feet away moving around 950 FPS.

The sound of an F-15 doing Viking Departures in stage 5 afterburner.

The smell of an F-4 Phantom II (J79Turbofan).

The smell of burnt gunpowder.

The sight of these things.

The look of the men who early one morning in the mid 80's come double timing it down our block; Yes, Marines they were; about 15 of them.

The look of my ,, Laying in bed fully u....  Thats mine....

The Smell of strong coffee
The taste of strong coffee

The look of mathematics, physics, engineering.
The feeling of doing those things.

The Look of the Outdoors, when no one is around.

The feel of family

The look and feel of the statue of the minuteman.

The look of Washington DC before the onset of politicians. When you are growing up and you see the flag and you see Washington, YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. WHEN YOU GROW UP YOU ONLY KNOW WHAT IS WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN. Same way with the Constitution.  Sturdy is the man that hasn't betrayed those ideas.  Havn't seen one on TV in ages, George W. might be close to upholding them.

The look and feel of American Gold.
The look and feel of the Godess of Liberty

The pride of skills in shooting, hunting, fishing, camping.

The order that is in the universe.

The hardness and gleam in an old farmers eyes, you know the one, he lives on the prairie, drives his tractor, has leather tan gloves on that have turned black from use, has wrinkles all over, tanned himself, slightly disheveled silver hair, very warm smile. The kind of people who don't exist anywhere else in the world but in America and then only certain places.

The morning, and the evening , and sometimes the day.

War Stories from the people in your family.

Firecrackers and the 4th of July

The Sea, and the fisherman who roam her.

The look of the USS constitution.

The smell of algae on the rocks below the I-40 overpass going over Eufalua lake. The stickiness of chicken liver on your hands while fishing.  The twilight while fishing or hunting or camping. That same campfire.

The wind hitting a tent.  

The feel of wandering all over someplace you have never been just exploring.

The mountains of Colorado, Northern NewMexico, the Formations in Arizona.  The mountains of california. The Sea.

The ideas of America, the results of those ideas. The promise of those same ideas.

To have lived and seen the paintings of Norman Rockwell because of who you are and where you were born.  And to know that his vision was not a vision, but could and still can be found in parts of the country.

COLD FRIED CHICKEN and Potato Salad and Pork and Beans out of the can.

Steaks while camping cooked over mesquite.

Skinning and frying catfish right on the river bank with cornmeal, fried tators and those same pork and beans out of the can.

The Fort off in our old neck of the woods beside our cabin and up in the tree on Eufala Lake.  Many a enemy soldier, bird and lizard met their fate there.  

Benjamin

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The sound of an F16 Fighting Falcon as its engine winds up.

The sound of ANY modern American fighter jet as it makes a low-and-fast pass overhead.

I get chills just thinking about it.

[Can you tell I like airshows?]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
My darling daughters saying, "I love you, Daddy."  That's my favorite.

A Pontiac V-8 with the Tri-Power full on is right up there.

Harley's are the only motorcycle sound I dig.

Tower of Power's horn section is the best.

Zippo lighters open/close is very distinctive.

The Blue Angels screaming over Lake Washington makes my skin crawl at the awesome power.

Top Fuel Dragsters at SIR are incredible.  Especially in pairs.

The quiet of the forest has a unique sound of its own...
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The "ping" of a 6 inch metal plate at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
BENJAMIN Cont.

My BB Gun that my uncle gave to me, I musta been 4 years old , I couldn't even cock the thing, spring loaded.  Never seen one like her. Had a picture of that Minuteman on the side and an NRA sticker read as cica 1976 or so.

Playing on OLD FARM EQUIPMENT, OLD CAR BODIES, Playing Army Men and building forts in the sand.

I could go on and on. Life is a beautiful thing. When you remember what its all about.

Thanks for the initial thread, this has made my day

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The sound of a big bass blowing up a buzzbait on a still and quiet morning.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Bagpipes on a foggy morning

The sound of Artillery in the distance, the sound of Freedom....
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Tough to believe that no one so far thinks that this is a favorite....

BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!SPROING!

That, of course, would be the distinctive sound of the M-1 Garand's en bloc charger ejecting after the last round is fired. There are too many to list...sound is often more distinctive than sight!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#12]
The sound of terrorists dying slowly after having failed to injure anyone in their attempts to recruit an honor guard.

The sound of the Thunderbirds in a six ship formation buzzing the crowd back in the 70's when they flew lower, faster, and used F-4's, pound for pound the loudest damned plane ever made.

The sound of B-52's on takeoff.

The mind-numbing sound (and sight) of SR-71's taking off the main runway at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, 1969.

The sound of a Peavey 5150 guitar amp being crushed under a steamroller, slowly.  Extra points if it's turned on and plugged in at the time.

A world-class customized Marshall amp being played by somebody whose musical and guitar tastes I wholeheartedly approve of.

Eddie Van Halen's original Plexi Marshall tone, with Phase 90 and Echoplex.  There is no better tone.

Volkswagons being crushed.

The roar of a General Electric M143 Minigun

The bigger roar of a General Electric GAU-8 Avenger cannon fired from an A-10 Warthog

The subtle but alarming 'click' of the safety being thumbed off on an M1911 carried in Condition One.

The sound of the UPS truck bringing me a few
cases of ammo.

My girlfriend whispering something nasty and inviting in my ear.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The sound of any full auto firearm is one of the finest sounds I can think of...

A small block chevy winding to 5000 rpm and exhausted through 3" pipes and a pair of flowmasters!

Wind through leaves on a cool spring day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#14]
any V-8 with a loping camshaft
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I enjoy the soothing hum of a custom exhaust while going down the highway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
The swish of the high-level shut off on a R-ll refueller... it means you aren't going to have to JP all over your shoes...  [>Q]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]
The pause of sound between the lightning and thunder---svaha---a waiting for promises to be fulfilled.

that one thing gives me hope--the future
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife saying "You're right honey, you do need another gun!"
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The high-rev pop and growl of a 250cc two stroke engine.  Better yet, a whole group of two-strokes.

The sound (and feel) of a 50cal

The gurgle of water from a certain type of relaxation aid.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]

The first minute or so of "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who
The roar of a chainsaw
The sound of a balisong opening/closing
The "whoomp!" sound of gasoline being ignited
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe there are some great sounding 5150's out there, but I haven't personally heard one. Not in person. Good, yes.  Great, no.

Incidentally, last I heard, EVH used 5150's as power amps only.   His Marshalls provide the tone via slave outs, fed to the 5150's.  I can't say if he ever changed that setup.

A modded JMP or early JCM800 (which IS a JMP) is the Marshall I most want for myself.  I do appreciate Plexi's a great deal as well.

You're right. Tone is mostly with the player...but the right equipment helps!

Currently I use an SG (custom built, I made it) into a Mesa SOB head/1-12 EV cabinet.  Very straight ahead rock and roll tone, no toys.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Sound the wife makes when she...

Sound of an M1A bolt closing. It sounds like a real battle rifle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#26]
The words "You're Approved" from my bud at the gun store after getting the call back from NICS
[heavy]
The chirping/barking noise my wife makes when I'm doing it right. [sex]
and
The shuffling type sound the ATM makes right before spitting out lots and lots of money. [whacko]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#27]
The sound of my granddaughter Kristin's voice on the telephone when I call her and she knows that it is me:

[size=3][b][i]'Granddaddeeeeee!'[/i][/b][/size=3]

Eric The(That,Kristin,WillGetYouAnythingYouWant!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The openning guitar lick from Run Like hell by Pink Floyd.
View Quote

Good.
Better... the opening sequence to "Time" by Pink Floyd.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The high-rev pop and growl of a 250cc two stroke engine.  Better yet, a whole group of two-strokes.

The sound (and feel) of a 50cal

[b]The gurgle of water from a certain type of relaxation aid[/b].
View Quote

Yeah, that one will really hit the spot after a long, hard day.  Nothing quite like the feeling produced from, ah, 'hearing' that device being properly used.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The call of a loon echoing on a calm lake at twiglight.

The chirp of an airplane's tires touching down.

The BRRRRRP of an M-61 Vulcan cannon.

The click-whirr-click-whirr of an SLR camera with an auto drive.  (Picture the song "Freeze Frame")

Any jet in blower.

Sidewinder tone.  (It is actually a growl).

The "warping" sound of a jet flying by at transsonic speeds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Have to go with the sound of the Garand’s clip being ejected.
Dropping the slide on my Glock and on the AR.
That transmission sound that some Japanese cars make while driving in reverse.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#32]
just love the sound of vulcan cannons off in the distance (as long as they are not shooting at me)
M-60 LMG teams talking to each other (sounds great to here m60's alternating fire,...and again its a great sound as long as the fire is not directed towards you}
and even though im a grunt...i grew quite fond of an M1 battle tanks turbine engines screaming across open country.
and i love the sound of rain dropping on my poncho hooch as i stayed nice and dry in my poncho liner with a cup of mocha brewing in my canteen cup
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Military Police Platoon online firing the Final Protective Fire.
Marine Recruit Series online firing the the FPF with A2s and two 60mms only.
The sound of 50 helos inbound at Cobra Gold.
The night street life noise at Payatta Beach, after a hard two days work at Utapo and an hour long van ride.
The quiet of the woods during a big snowstorm.
The waves and spray off a dive boat bow in the west pacific.
The sound the M16 A2 makes when you grab it on the run full palm on the handguards.
When you are an MP out on midnights on a call and you hear the whole shift pulling up to back you up. (brakes, doors opening, and running boots and whisping duty gear) The silence other than them running is sudden and deep.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Click, Bang! In that order.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Iron Maiden "Live After Death."

The sliding metallic sound of an M1A bolt stripping the top cartridge from the mag.

The whine of the LDS (Launcher Drive System) kicking on when you arm the rockets in an MLRS launcher.

Rush.

The whine/whistle of a turbodiesel, and the clatter of a naturally-aspirated diesel.

Track noise (other than a track being thrown.)

The sound of 100 feet hitting the ground simultaneously while at a fast doubletime.

Kansas' "Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel."

Night sounds. The ocean at night.

Being in the field on a quiet, clear Ft Bragg summer night with only the wind, insects, and the sound of your humvee radio (turned down low) breaking the silence.

A capacitor charging up.

The THX sound.

A woman I love.

Military marches.

Granny gear in a truck transmission.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#36]
1. The sound of the bolt charging on my AR15.  

2. An afterburner on a jet fighter.

3. The properly muffled sound of a V8 engine.

4. An A10 Warthog discharging the nose cannon.  There is no sound like it.

5. The woods coming alive at daybreak.

6. The screech of and eagle or call of an owl.

7. My labrador whimpering for my attention (she knows how to play me).

8. The sound of my heartbeat and the crack of my .30-06 as I harvest a deer.

9. Pink Floyd om my sterio.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#37]
the sound of the greens mowers running at 5 am in the morning
the sound of a perfectly struck 8 iron
the sound of the ball hitting the flagstick from 160 yards after the precious!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Maybe there are some great sounding 5150's out there, but I haven't personally heard one. Not in person. Good, yes. Great, no.
View Quote

The cabinet was built to be miked for sure as it is highly directional there is a convergance zone about three feet in front and two feet up centered where it all meets.  You can also get some pretty good sound if you are standing at a fourty-five.

Incidentally, last I heard, EVH used 5150's as power amps only. His Marshalls provide the tone via slave outs, fed to the 5150's. I can't say if he ever changed that setup.
View Quote

Hmmm, the last I heard he was using his typical 5150 straight through but was using HIWATT 100's to gain because they don't distort. But shit who knows, he does so many things and has started so many things that he is always getting new tones.  I chased everyone out of Rawsons Music here in town about a year ago playing on a plexi, THE TONE IS THE TONE, You can't turn it up or down without effecting the tone, So you have to play it like its supposed to be played. I was rattling shit on the walls.
I really like the patch cable work. Hahah

A modded JMP or early JCM800 (which IS a JMP) is the Marshall I most want for myself. I do appreciate Plexi's a great deal as well.

You're right. Tone is mostly with the player...but the right equipment helps!

Currently I use an SG (custom built, I made it) into a Mesa SOB head/1-12 EV cabinet. Very straight ahead rock and roll tone, no toys
View Quote

No shit about the no-toys.  I play straight through as well. Usta have a flanger/chorus, etc. when I first started, but then I was covering up so much shit that had I stuck with it I would've never learned to use the strings and making them do what I want.

I have two EVH Wolfgangs a Red Flametop (bought as soon as they came out) and a GOLD WOlfgang Special. Love them both. I have gone through a Yamaha Pacifica , a Green MetalFlake Ibanez, and A US Standard Strat. I wish I had the Strat back because my Sweep picking is comming along pretty good now and I am started to be able to lay down some groove ala Stevie Ray Vaughan. I have been working on it for almost 4 years and its really starting to come along here recently. But with blues its all mood so you have your great days and you have days where you can't swing for shit. But in 20 years I will be a good guitar player.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Mid August after cutting and spliting a cord of wood, I like that little poof sound that a cold beer makes when you crack the top.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#40]
The peace, serinity and total relaxation I felt after my wife(for the fifth time in 15 years) told me she was leaving for the last time. My focused and total resolve to not let her come back ever again even if she showed up at the door on Christmas Eve again (after being gone for a year,and saying she didn't have anyplace to go). AAAHHHHHHHHHH I've grown acustomed to the quiet!  [:)]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The words "You're Approved" from my bud at the gun store after getting the call back from NICS
View Quote

The sound of your right being restricted.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Open Hedders...aaaahhhhh.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
The National Anthem.
Lightning cracking through the sky.
The sound of LOUD thunder rolling over the ground.
Tannerite blowing up.
The whop whop of a Huey flying low overhead.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#44]
No problem bee keeper, hahaha.   People have some good ones. I can just imagine some of them.

Benjamin0001, you made me wistful. Thanks!

One thing that will always stop me dead in my tracks, even when turkey hunting intently, is the mating call of the bobwhite quail. I have to stop dead and listen for the next one. I love that sound.

Canada geese at night flying over, unseen, but very wild.

Bullfrogs.

Once I heard two whitetail bucks fighting from about 40 yards away. It was at night. I heard every grunt, and the forced heavy breathing. I looked at the spot the next day and the whole area, in a 20 yard circle, was tore up to the bare dirt. Very unique sounds.

Mama gray squirrels calling their young to the nest at dusk.

Whippoorwills.
View Quote

Yes, someone stated the sound of the woods during a snowfall at night, OH JEEZ I have been there. God thats beautiful.

The sound you make when you are calling the squirells to you.

The blinding snowfall in the morning on a rabbit hunt.

The old broken down slap board houses you come across out on the prairie or woods and wonder who lived there, what did they do?? Where did they go??  

The old windmill type water wells.  The ones made out of tin.  

DUSTING A CLAY THAT IS MOVING REALLY FAST IS JUST ABOUT TO GET TO FAR. hahah That is a good feeling.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#45]
The sound of an F-18E/F doing a cat shot 100' away.

Slide locking into battery on a 1911.

The bolt closing on a new magazine of .223 in an AR15.

The sound of 10 rounds being fed into an AR15 mag using a stripper clip.

The sound a 1911 slide makes when lapped to a NM fit on a stripped frame and allowed to move under its own weight.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#46]
The ching of the clip out of a Garand.

The crunch...crunch... of the dry fall leaves under the hoves of a White Tail.

The pop of a 125 grn. Thunder Head into the rib cage of a White Tail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
To crush your enemy.  See him driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women.[}:D]

The utter silence of late evening in a heavy snowfall in Nebraska, near Christmas, with everyone's yard lit in Christmas lights.

Your brother breaking that silence, screaming down the street on a sled.  You live on a 15 percent grade hill!

Watching the shuttle or space station fly overhead in orbit VERY early in the morning, and trying to hear the sound of its passing, though you know there isn't any.

The crackle of a warm fire and the smell of a cup of Mom's hot chocolate after a day playing in the snow, when you're a kid.  (Or when you're older!)

Hearing the animals early in the morning on the farm when the morning fog covers everything.  

The incredible noise of Bike Week, Daytona Beach, Florida.   Dyno Drags.

The sound of .45 brass hitting the concrete at the range.

The appalling rumble of a true thousand watt subwoofer in your home theater system, being pushed to its limits.   Picture to match!  

Hearing a politician you actually trust saying that he supports all gun rights and won't even consider supporting a replacement for the assault weapons ban that expires on Sept. 13, 2004.

Hearing your local chief law enforcement officer saying yes, he'll sign off on your machinegun purchase, as long as he gets to try it out!

CJ

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#48]
The sound of young Children playing.
The sound of a continental leaned just right in cruise flight....
Little Children laughing...
The sound of the Polaris as it hits max Rs at about 70mph on a smooth lake....
The subtle sound of a snowfall while sitting in the hot tub...
Little Children singing....
The rack of the Glock...
The sound of the turbo diesel spooling up in the Ram under acceleration....
My daughter saying "I love you daddy".

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#49]
The first thing that came into my mind is Colorado.

-The feeling I get when there's nothing I can hear except the reel of my fly rod and the Animas (North of Durango a bit).

-The sound of the Jeep going up Black Bear Pass (Ouray/Telluride).

-The Waterfalls...

-The "creaking sound" of my hammock.

-The sounds just after a huge snow...the snow falling off the trees, the stillness.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Mostly loud noises, it seems...
AA fuel dragsters and funny cars
Diving Stukas
The 3-d sounds the Grateful Dead used to be able to get out of their Quad system
20mm Vulcans
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top