Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2002 12:10:13 AM EDT
Just bought another HS2000 [size=1](the greatest handgun in the world)[/size=1], but this time for my Dad, a week ago.  I signed out the FFL yellow form, the NICS, or whatever the hell you do for handguns in Alabama...I stopped keeping up with the ever-changing multitude of red tape you go through.  Receieved the gun from my local gunstore, and drove to my father's to deliver to him (he even out-shot me with it on the range versus mine, the brigand).

My question...since I'm the one who underwent checks for it, the HS2000 [size=1](the greatest handgun in the world)[/size=1] is still registered to me.  How do I go about changing full ownership of the pistol to my Dad?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just bought another HS2000 [size=1](the greatest handgun in the world)[/size=1], but this time for my Dad, a week ago.  I signed out the FFL yellow form, the NICS, or whatever the hell you do for handguns in Alabama...I stopped keeping up with the ever-changing multitude of red tape you go through.  Receieved the gun from my local gunstore, and drove to my father's to deliver to him (he even out-shot me with it on the range versus mine, the brigand).

My question...since I'm the one who underwent checks for it, the HS2000 [size=1](the greatest handgun in the world)[/size=1] is still registered to me.  How do I go about changing full ownership of the pistol to my Dad?  Thanks.
View Quote

Actually, the HS2000 isn't registered to you.  There is no registration system in Alabama.  This ain't California!  As far as the NICS check goes, the FFL just tell the Feds you are buying a handgun, not what type, it's serial number or anything that could identify it.  If you want to sell a gun (or give it away) in Alabama, and it's to a private citizen, there's nothing legally you have to do.  Just give the gun to your dad and you're done.  I guess if you really wanted to do things the right way, he should have had the NICS check done, not you.  But if anyone asks, just say you bought it, decided you didn't want it anymore and gave it to your dad.  Don't tell anyone you bought it for your dad and he didn't have a check done.

I think I'm starting to ramble.  I hope you get the idea.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Your entitled to make a gift purchase and IMHO this falls under that umbrella.

As to how you tranfer ownership, sounds as if you've already done that. As long as he is not a convicted felon, or intends to go postal you've nothing to worry about.

Technically the gun is not registered to you, no-one but the dealer retains the 4473 form and it will stay in his possession until he is no longer in business, (at which time he is required to turn all 4473 forms over to the BATF). They (BATF) are allowed to review records of the dealer at any time, but if I understand correctly they may only make copies of specific 4473 transactions and are not allowed to willy-nilly take forms unless dealer has quit the business.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top