Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 7:23:41 PM EDT
Just wondering if you know any good ones out there that I could include in a paper I'm assigned to do.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
One from the man himself:

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms... The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson

---
And my favorite is not really gun-related (more general liberty):

"What constitutes the bulwark of our own liberty and independence? It is not our frowning battlements, our bristling sea coasts, the guns of our war steamers, or the strength of our gallant and disciplined army. These are not our reliance against a resumption of tyranny in our fair land. All of them may be turned against our liberties, without making us stronger or weaker for the struggle. Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in our bosoms. Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where. Destroy this spirit, and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors."
Abraham Lincoln
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
"Democrats piss me off!"

-Eric Cartman
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
[b][u]First the Antis:[/u][/b]
"For target shooting, that's okay. Get a license and go to the range. For defense of the home, that's why we have police departments." ~ James Brady.

"The sale of guns must stop. Halfway measures are not enough." ~ Sarah Brady.

"Every good communist should know that political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." ~ Mao Tse Tung

"Ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." ~ Heinrich Himmler

"History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so." ~ Adolf Hitler

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." ~ Janet Reno

"I stand in support of this common sense legislation to license everyone who wishes to purchase a gun." ~ Hillary Clinton

"When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it. That's what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how we're going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities." ~  Bill Clinton, 3/22/94, MTV's "Enough is Enough"

"We cannot be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." ~ Bill Clinton, USA Today, 3/11/93   page 2A

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms." ~ Adolf Hitler.

[b][u]Now the Pros:[/u][/b]
"Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore  be the constant companion of your walks." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes" ~ Thomas Jefferson.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~ Thomas Jefferson.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." ~ James Madison

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself." ~ George Washington

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." ~ Patrick Henry.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~ Alexander Hamilton,

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason.

"Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns." ~ James Earl Jones.

"But the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government... which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert Humphrey

"...hundreds of Korean storeowners in LA using handguns and shotguns to successfully repel looters." -ABC's "Nightline", covering the '93 LA riots

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed." ~ Exodus 22:2

"...he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." ~ Luke 22:36

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace." ~ Luke 11:21
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
C. Heston "Mr. Gore, come take this!"
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
A bumper sticker I saw in Utah once:
The west wasn't won with a registered gun
[:D]

Not gun-related, but certainly self-defense related:

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife

(Justice Holmes of the US Supreme Court, in Brown v. United States, 1921, dismissing a prosecution against a man who defended himself against a knife attack)

http://[url]www.davekopel.org/2A/LawRev/SelfDefenseCases.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Two bumper stickers:

"It's not Gun Control - It's Victim Disarmament"

"CCW Stops Rape"
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
"When did it become the right to bear inferior arms?" - unknown
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
"...the Second Amendment is not for killing little ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louis without an aunt and uncle.  It is for hunting politicians, like [in] Grozny, [or back in] 1776, when they take your independence away!"

- California Rep. Bob Dornan, Congressional Record, 25 January, 1995

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#10]
So many to choose from.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny." - Edward Abbey

``The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. He, who has nothing, and who himself belongs to another, must be defended by him, whose property he is, and needs no arms. But he, who thinks he is his own master, and has what he can call his own, ought to have arms to defend himself and what he possesses; else he lives precariously, and at discretion.'' -Andrew Fletcher (1655-1716)

"The tank, the B-52, the fighter-bomber,  the state-controlled police and military are the weapons of dictatorship. The rifle is the weapon democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among  the outlaws." - Edward Abbey "The Right  to Arms" (New York, 1979)

"No man can be truly free whose liberty is dependent upon the thought, feeling, and action of others, and who has himself no means in his own hands for guarding, protecting, defending, and maintaining that liberty." -- Frederick Douglass, 1882

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. --Noah Webster

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to puchase temporary safety, deserve neither."
-Ben Franklin

-"From my cold dead hands!"  C. Heston

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:09:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Gun Control:
The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]
It's better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 ![x]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Admiral Yamamoto, of WWll fame, advised others against invading the U.S.

I don't recall the quote but it had something to do with "guns behind every blade of grass."

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
"Liberty is the sheep with the .357mag telling the wolves where to stick it."

"The difference between Congress as envisioned by the Founding Fathers and the Congress we have today is that one of them inspires patriots to support it, and the other inspires patriots to buy extra ammo." [50]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]
When I first got into collecting firearms one of my friends, who is anti-gun since being robbed, confronted our friend "Eggman" who was also just starting to acquire firearms.

"But Eggman, we're hippies!" said the anti-gun friend.

[b]"We're hippies with guns!"[/b] replied Eggman.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Admiral Yamamoto, of WWll fame, advised others against invading the U.S.

I don't recall the quote but it had something to do with "guns behind every blade of grass."

View Quote

I think the quote wome something more like "it would be impossible to invade mainland America; there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I know I'll butcher this one, but here goes...

Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria, something to the effect of:

"Laws prohibiting arms do not deter crime, for they affect only those who are not inclined to do criminal acts. Disarmament only helps to promote crime, for an unarmed victim can be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."

I think that's the sum of the premise, but the wording is incorrect...

Edited to say that this was my 100th post...who better to try to quote than T.J. himself...
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#20]
"To this day, it is 1999, isn't the male primarily responsible for the physical defense of the American home? If you hear a creak on the floor downstairs in the middle of the night, the woman never says, 'Let me check.' You have to check. And you're supposed to go downstairs and confront whoever's down there with Plan B, whatever it happens to be — 'My good man, please give me that firearm and leave the premises'? I mean, give me a break! The reason men are more pro-gun is because they are responsible for the physical protection of the American home." — [b]Chris Matthews[/b], host of CNBC's [u]Hardball[/u]

"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family.' And anyone who objects levels the deadliest insult possible: 'I don't trust you unless you're rendered harmless'!" - [b]L. Neil Smith[/b], [u]The Probability Broach[/u]

"The lesson this [an example of successful resistance to lynchers] teaches and which every African American should ponder well, is that a Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home, and it should be used for that protection which the law refuses to give." — Civil rights leader [b]Ida B. Wells[/b], [u]Southern Horrors: Lynch Law In All Its Phases[/u] (New York, 1892), 22-23.

"Contemporary scholars have little explored the preconditions of genocide. Still less have they asked whether a society's weapons policy might be one of the institutional arrangements that contributes to the probability of its government engaging in some of the more extreme varieties of outrage. Though it is a long step between being disarmed and being murdered—one does not usually lead to the other— it is nevertheless an arresting reality that not one of the principal genocides of the twentieth century, and there have been dozens, has been inflicted on a population that was armed." — [b]Daniel D. Polsby[/b], [u]Washington University Law Quarterly[/u], Volume 73, Number 3, Fall 1997
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Also, click [url=http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a3b69fe193338.htm]here[/url] for a pretty exensive list of RKBA quotes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I quote Charlton Heston saying to al bore
"YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS"
can`t say it any better myself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top