Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2010 2:49:08 AM EDT
I just changed over to a single point sling and was wondering about the proper way to "wear" it. I have previously only used leather shooting slings and the two point ones that allow patrol carry. Putting it on over my head and under my right shoulder like a guitar strap looks like the right way, but it's a little aggravating around the neck area. Maybe it just takes getting used to, and I need to adjust it. Any advice on that would be helpful as well. Any links to pics would be great. It's a Blackhawk if that helps. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I go the other way around, on top of the right shoulder and under the left arm.
I shoot right handed as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Put your shooting arm through it and then over your head
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what I do. I guess it just takes getting used to. How should I adjust it as far as length , and what is the proper and safest way to carry it ? It's on a 16" barreled M4 type 6.8, and attached to a Magpul end plate. I have seen some people with the weapon on the strong side at their side, and I've seen some people let it hang centered in front of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
ive only used the single points that attach to your LBV or armor, but im gonna keep an eye out on this thread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]
while single point s have their uses (for swat team members on entry) the whole single point craze is hopefully dying out among the wanna-be's.

you question was answered above.

have it fall on your non-side arm side or support leg.

falling between your legs or hitting a knee cap is a real game stopper, and forget about running with it hanging or even moving around a lot (which helps you "not get shot")

but for range cool guy factor they do get you laid. (or not)
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

while single point s have their uses (for swat team members on entry) the whole single point craze is hopefully dying out among the wanna-be's.

falling between your legs or hitting a knee cap is a real game stopper, and forget about running with it hanging or even moving around a lot (which helps you "not get shot")

I prefer a single point while riding four wheelers on the ranch, which allows me to quickly mount the rifle to shoot coyotes, porcupines, and other vermin.  

Admittedly, I was not a door kicker in the Army during my enlistment, but I have been seeking an alternate mounting system for my said use, seeking your approval.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Slings are personal preference if not mission dependent.

I tried single-point but it never really worked for me.  Too much weapon flopping around going on and I didn't like how low it hung because the full length of the gun was at the end of the sling.

So I switched to an adjustable two-point - the Vickers sling from Blue Force Gear.

This setup works absolutely because of the adjustment tab - the green web part on the pic below.  Pulling or pushing on the tab tightens or loosens the length of the sling.  

I'm a rightie shooter and put the sling over my head and under my left arm so the butt of the weapon is towards my right shoulder.  There are times the gun hangs almost vertical but it's vertical in front of me and I can sweep it to my left side quickly to get it out of the way.

And here's an action shot how it lies in front with this sling:

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought I'd try the single point. I bought one of the  Blackhawk  models yesterday. I have had the Blackhawk swift 3 point sling on one rifle, and my son still has it on his AR, and I love the way it carries, but what I don't like is that the sling seems to get in the way of the bolt release, and sometimes the safety selector. I have primarily used Turner leather shooting slings in the past as most of what I shot were battle rifles, mostly the M1a/M14 and I replaced the 3 point with one on my LR308, but I wanted to try  something a little different. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of proper technique when using one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad to see some love for the VCAS.  I have one en-route right now.

I got the AA version - from what I could tell, the buckles were pretty much as strong as the metal.  Of course, the main reason was the price difference.  As a poor student, I'll even be attaching the thing to my front sight post until I can find a reasonably priced front sight swivel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

falling between your legs or hitting a knee cap or hitting you in the balls is a real game stopper, and forget about running with it hanging or even moving around a lot (which helps you "not get shot")

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put your shooting arm through it and then over your head

I do the opposite, like this guy:

Quoted:
I go the other way around, on top of the right shoulder and under the left arm.
I shoot right handed as well.

but my sling has a taper on it for where it comes over the shoulder.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Which way is most common? Is the sling on the shoulder of the off hand and under the arm on the dominant side, or is it opposite of that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just changed over to a single point sling and was wondering about the proper way to "wear" it.

There's your problem. You read about a piece of gear, and 'switched' to it before you understood it.

Personally, I think the best place for a single-point sling is on a loaner weapon, so the guy who wants to borrow a rifle can get beat up by its bouncing and thereby learn to procure his own gear next time.

I prefer a setup similar to this one:

Quoted:

I tried single-point but it never really worked for me.  Too much weapon flopping around going on and I didn't like how low it hung because the full length of the gun was at the end of the sling.

So I switched to an adjustable two-point - the Vickers sling from Blue Force Gear.

This setup works absolutely because of the adjustment tab - the green web part on the pic below.  Pulling or pushing on the tab tightens or loosens the length of the sling.  

I'm a rightie shooter and put the sling over my head and under my left arm so the butt of the weapon is towards my right shoulder.  There are times the gun hangs almost vertical but it's vertical in front of me and I can sweep it to my left side quickly to get it out of the way.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Single point works fine if you are mainly going to be shooting, not going for a hike-ie you need to be able to let the carbine go to open a door, grab a pistol etc but aren't going to be  hiking cross country with it and it is mainly going to be in your hands. I have a single point on my carbine since if I use it I am only slinging up because something is going on in my house and I feel I have time to get the sling on.

A single point allows you to shoot bilateraly, an adjustable two point does that poorly, either you are basically choking yourself or slipping your arm out and using it as a single point.

I would not want to take a single point hunting or on some long hike. Magpul (I think) has a sling that works both as a single point or two point, however I have not used that sling myself.

I do see your point; I can see how one could be useful in self-defense scenarios.

However, my go-to guns have two-points; the sling will be ignored until AFTER whatever situation I'm addressing is resolved, anyway.

I just really think that for most use, even with the limitations of 2-point slings, the single-point is a design that looked better on paper than in reality.

YMMV, of course.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I dont much care for the single point slings although its whats on my gun. never been annoyed to the point of changing. As above, I dont like how low the gun ends up being and I dont like the rifle flopping all over.

But, it does work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I dig single points.  I've run 2-points as well but the single works well enough for me.  With carbine slings, you want to run it over your head and under your non-dominant arm so that when you transition to your sidearm, the carbine drops to the side AWAY from your sidearm and ensures a smooth drawstroke (like others above have described).  Personally I dig the OSOE single-point bungie-sling as the bungie allows a lot of flexibility when switching shoulders, for muzzle strikes, etc.

RIGHT (or at least the best I could find via Google Image)

WRONG

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I dig single points.  I've run 2-points as well but the single works well enough for me.  With carbine slings, you want to run it over your head and under your non-dominant arm so that when you transition to your sidearm, the carbine drops to the side AWAY from your sidearm and ensures a smooth drawstroke (like others above have described).  Personally I dig the OSOE single-point bungie-sling as the bungie allows a lot of flexibility when switching shoulders, for muzzle strikes, etc.

RIGHT (or at least the best I could find via Google Image)
http://img.youtube.com/vi/gesXIMa0vFU/0.jpg 2 point
http://www.spectergear.com/cqb_sling_pos_right.jpg 3 point

WRONG
http://www.specialforceskit.co.uk/store/images/single%20point%20sling%20web.jpgone point moran

I only see one pic of a single point there, and it is probably the most retarded pic you could find
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just changed over to a single point sling and was wondering about the proper way to "wear" it.

There's your problem. You read about a piece of gear, and 'switched' to it before you understood it.

Personally, I think the best place for a single-point sling is on a loaner weapon, so the guy who wants to borrow a rifle can get beat up by its bouncing and thereby learn to procure his own gear next time.

I prefer a setup similar to this one:
Quoted:

Single point works fine if you are mainly going to be shooting, not going for a hike-ie you need to be able to let the carbine go to open a door, grab a pistol etc but aren't going to be  hiking cross country with it and it is mainly going to be in your hands. I have a single point on my carbine since if I use it I am only slinging up because something is going on in my house and I feel I have time to get the sling on.

A single point allows you to shoot bilateraly, an adjustable two point does that poorly, either you are basically choking yourself or slipping your arm out and using it as a single point.

I would not want to take a single point hunting or on some long hike. Magpul (I think) has a sling that works both as a single point or two point, however I have not used that sling myself.

I really enjoy the koolaid w/regards to the magpul sling and ASAP plate.  The best parts of a single and twopoint sling.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I am very interested in trying a Vicker's adjustable sling with a ASAP sling plate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Magpul ms2 sling, you can buy one sling and change it real quick from one to two point configuration, and with the attachment hook you can buy one and use it on several rifles
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Magpul ms2 sling, you can buy one sling and change it real quick from one to two point configuration, and with the attachment hook you can buy one and use it on several rifles

My friend has the MS2. I did not like the clip used to change it to 2-point.

The MS3 uses a different clip, I will be interested to see how that works out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I used a one point for my second deployment. It went over my non-shooting shoulder. The rifle, when I let go of it, came to rest between my side plate and firing arm. This was so from a rest, I could quickly grab my grip and bring the rifle up.

I did not worry about a side arm at the time as I did not have one. Now that Im a civiy an I do have a side arm, I keep the same sling set up. If I need to transition, My firing hand lets go of the rifle and grabs my pistol. At the same time, my non-firing hand brings the rifle to a rest in front of me both clearing my sidearm and not wacking me in the balls. As the pistol comes out of the holster, I let go of the rifle and bring it up to support.

There are many ways to use a one point sling. Experement and find out what works best for you.

(I'm a lefty)
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I only see one pic of a single point there, and it is probably the most retarded pic you could find

The arm you sling under is the same - single-dual or 3-point because the concept is the same - the carbine rests AWAY from the side you keep your sidearm on.

-Mike
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the great responses. I bought this to try it out. It is the bungee type and seems really well made, and has the mash hook. No Magpul koolaide here, the sling is Blackhawk, the end plate is Magpul. I'll try it on the opposite draw side and see if it helps, and I can always buy another sling if I don't like it. Like I said earlier, I've had the 3 point type, and there is a Blackhawk swift on my son's AR. I like the way it carries, but it seems to get in the way of the bolt release, and that's not that bad of a problem. I can use it as a standard sling, a single point type by releasing one of the buckles, or as a patrol type. I may go that route. I guess I'll have to buy my old one back from InfidelJoeBob, I don't think he's put it on his Bushy yet. He liked the single point but his was hooked to his molle gear like I've seen a lot of guys using. He said most guys in his unit went that route, but his first few deployments he just used the standard issue 2 point. He told me I might mot be comfortable with the single point, but I wanted to try it out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Put it over your strong side shoulder, with the strap going from your strong side shoulder, towards the bottom of your weak side ribcage or hip. That way the gun falls away from your pistol when you transition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top