Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 12:42:44 PM EDT
Ford is coming out with the GT40 from Lemonds fame. Anybody know how much $ and when it will be on the market? I think I really ned one of them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ford is coming out with the GT40 from Lemonds fame. Anybody know how much $ and when it will be on the market? I think I really ned one of them.
View Quote

Ford may be releasing a vehicle with the name GT40 but it will be a pale shadow of the original cars built for The Deuce by Eric Broadley at Lola Cars in England in the mid-1960's.  After Henry Ford II tired of beating Ferrari, Porsche et al at Le Mans, John Wyer bought the team and continued its success through the remainder of the decade running under the Gulf banner.  If you've seen Steve McQueen's movie Le Mans you'll know it as the recreation of the 1969 Le Mans when Wyer's Gulf GT40's drove Porsche's new 917 through their brakes and won in the closest Le Mans on record.  (In the movie replace the Ferrari's with GT40's and the Fords passed the Porsches to win).

Edited to add there were more than one version of the GT40.  Mark II cars won the first of several Le Mans with the 4-cam overhead cam small block V-8's that went on to fame as Formula 1 engines in the 1970's.  But the beast was the GT40 Mark IV Series-J (we knew them as "J-cars") built to run the 427 SOHC engine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While you're at it, get me one, too.  Blue with white stripes, please. [:D]
View Quote

Those were Cobra colors at Le Mans.  My choice would be the Gulf colors.  Orange stripe on robin's egg blue background.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't wait on Ford, build your own...
[url]www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm[/url][smoke]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, IIRC blue with white stripe is the "official" color scheme designated for US cars (now mostly ignored).  Kind of like "British Racing Green", Italian Red, and German Silver.  
I once saw a list, prob in R&T.
View Quote

Daytona Blue and white are official American colors.  Never really made any difference but it was important to The Deuce after Enzo Ferrari played him for a sucker when Ford tried to buy Ferrari.  Enzo Ferrari had a stupid sense of humor and for it Deuce beat the sh_t out of him on the racetrack, where it made Enzo the most difference.  Henry Ford II rubbed Ferrari's nose in it by running American colors.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't wait on Ford, build your own...
[url]www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm[/url][smoke]
View Quote

Yeah, that's a replica of a Mk I.  Never saw a Mk I run on the track but did see one of the GT40 Mk I sold by Neiman-Marcus.  Headed into Dallas on a cold fall day in 1966 and a yellow GT40 passed me going east on I30.  Never forget the sight of that beautiful thing in motion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Some stuff to look at:

[url]http://www.stangnet.com/shows/gt40/index.html[/url]

[url]http://jedm.imconline.net/frosty/cz/gt40/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder where I could access a list of those colors.  I understant that just about every country has 'official" colors.  Given the number of countries, there must be some wierd combinations...
View Quote

Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) in Paris regulates these issues. Look in [url]www.fia.com[/url] and you'll find that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/ArticlesFord2.aspx[/url]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/photos/s_ford_gt403qtr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/photos/s_Ford_GT4013.JPG[/img]

Looks like a Mk I but it's stretched much longer under the A-pillar than the real thing.  The show car got most of the exterior details right tho'.

[img]http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/photos/s_Ford_GT4012.JPG[/img]

Phil Hill, Lloyd Ruby, Bob Bondurant, Carroll Shelby and Jackie Stewart with J Mays.  Lloyd Ruby from Wichita Falls, TX was the best damn tire tester Firestone ever had.  That's one fine group of drivers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
How about that lineup of "da boys"...?!!

(Guess you did see that one---the pic just appeared!)
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ford may be releasing a vehicle with the name GT40 but it will be a pale shadow of the original cars built for The Deuce by Eric Broadley at Lola Cars in England in the mid-1960's.  After Henry Ford II tired of beating Ferrari, Porsche et al at Le Mans, John Wyer bought the team and continued its success through the remainder of the decade running under the Gulf banner.  If you've seen Steve McQueen's movie Le Mans you'll know it as the recreation of the 1969 Le Mans when Wyer's Gulf GT40's drove Porsche's new 917 through their brakes and won in the closest Le Mans on record.  (In the movie replace the Ferrari's with GT40's and the Fords passed the Porsches to win).

Edited to add there were more than one version of the GT40.  Mark II cars won the first of several Le Mans with the 4-cam overhead cam small block V-8's that went on to fame as Formula 1 engines in the 1970's.  But the beast was the GT40 Mark IV Series-J (we knew them as "J-cars") built to run the 427 SOHC engine.
View Quote

The MkII was also a 427 but not the SOHC 427. The SOHC 427 was rated at 616 horsepower (@7500 RPM) with a single carburetor or 658 horsepower (@7500) with two carburetors.

The MkI's mostly had small-block 289s, 302s and 351Ws in the later years ('68-'69) To bad the Cleveland was'nt in production!

AJ-Foyt drove the MkIV "J-car" (from the serial number) and won the 1967 24 hours of Le Mans race. The Mk-IV's were all built in the states.

I think the MkI's and MkII's were all built in England. Only a few of the MkIII's (289cid)were built.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Boomholzer your details are correct.  Mk II's ran nickel-iron 427 side-oilers.  J-cars were modified slightly in the rear to accomodate the anticipated fully-developed and slightly wider 427 SOHC engine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mk II's ran nickel-iron 427 side-oilers.
View Quote

Yep, 427 side oiler.
A dry-sump, conventional push-rod motor.... That motor in a '67 Shelby GT500 is one of my dream wants.

Wish I had one to rebuild.

I have a 71 Torino with a 429CJ. I love Ford Big Blocks.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#18]
A little extra info on engine options. [url]http://www.bonforums.com/cars/gt40_engines022702.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.bonforums.com/cars/gt40_engines.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Some more pictures
[img]www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/images/2002/february/0202_gt40_main.jpg[/img]
[img]www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/images/2002/february/0202_gt40_front.jpg[/img][img]www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/images/2002/february/0202_gt40_rear.jpg[/img]

(I've never experienced raw carlust before.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
(I've never experienced raw carlust before.)
View Quote

When you look at these photos remember the basic design and vehicle you are seeing is FORTY YEARS OLD.  These cars were designed with the single simple purpose of beating anything in the world on the Mulsanne Straight.  They did so and they did it over and over again for a decade until their chassis, tired from the beating of massive torque, aerodynamic stress and rough country road race surfaces, were retired victors with honor.  But there was a time when, if your job was to pilot a race car down the Mulsanne at speeds somewhere North of Reality, your weapon of choice was a Ford GT40.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Somehow the shelby cobras beat out the gt`s ....as far as a production oriented sportscar.....either politics or cost conciderations.......the 40`s were WAY ahead of anything at the time.......(except maybe the chaparrale).....[:)]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#22]
There was a lot of "buzz" at the time about the gt`s and the chapparalle`s being built and sold to the public......apparently the us factories did`nt share the same passion for exotic cars like the ferrari and other euro-gt types.....quite a few corvettes made it into the gt circuit.....it went the route of nhra...nascar...ahra.... where the detroit mass produced muscle car made history.........oh...and...gas was still reasonable....about 30 cents per.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Somehow the shelby cobras beat out the gt`s ....as far as a production oriented sportscar.....either politics or cost conciderations.......the 40`s were WAY ahead of anything at the time.......(except maybe the chaparrale).....[:)]
View Quote

A few GT40 Mk 1's made it to the street.  As I mentioned Neiman-Marcus had a pair of them in their 1966 Christmas catalog.  There were others.  Carroll Shelby would build whatever you wanted if you had the money; Cobra's, Daytona Coupes etc.  Bruce McLaren built a handful of M6B-GT's.  The few of these sold were usually to placate FIA's production requirements.  To my knowledge Jim Hall never sold any Chaparrals.  He recycled the Chaparral 2A into the 2D coupe then winged 2F Le Mans coupe and the 2C into the 2E then 2G.  The Chaparral 2H and 2J were dead-end development projects.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
God, I had not heard of this before.  It does look a lot like the original.  As someone said already, this creates a lot of car lust.  You never saw GM do something like this.  No, the Chaparelle was a privateer project, not a factory effort.  Besides, the Chaperrelle never really accomplished anything like the GT40 or the original Cobras or Daytona Coupes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw one of the originals at the Richmond VA Ford dealership with a window sticker, mid 60s...$30-40K. Wasn't the muscle car era grand?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Cheetahs and Chapparals were the hot bow ties!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cheetahs and Chapparals were the hot bow ties!
View Quote

Well...let's not forget Lance Reventlow and his Scarabs and then there was this car called Corvette that sold a few units.  Bill Thomas never intended to race the Cheetah, it's primary purpose was making money, but a few got raced.  Jerry Titus ran one in 1963 as did Jerry Grant till he wrapped it up at Daytona the same year.  The Cheetah was not destined to be competitive since it was matched against the Chaparral 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top