Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 12:26:58 PM EDT
Hi,
I have found a 1988' lotus esprit for a reasonable price that I would like to restore. It's in good mechanical condition, it's just the interior needs restoration. This would be a project car, but I would eventually like it to be my daily driver. I was just wondering if anyone here has a Lotus and what they thought about it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2000 Lotus esprit (One of my dads cars he left me).  It is a great machine, lots of fun, not for kids or for carrying groceries.

A tuneup costs $1200.00 and I had to replace a front bumper and it was $4900.00.

YMMV .
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hielo,
Is it the V-8 model or 4 cylinder? How fast have you got it up to?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It is the 2000MY version, 8 cylinder.

Personally I haven't done any kind of extreme driving with it, last summer I opened it up a bit on a lonesome stretch of highway, I hit 140 before I lost my nerve.

A friend of mine brought it up to Watkins Glen (A 20 minute drive from my house) and had it up to 160mph, more than enough to make me brown my skivvies.

Fun car though, handles like a dream.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I got one to tool around in while the Maserati and Aston-Martin are in the shop.[:D]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Aren't lotuses built on a space frame chasis, I had always heard them compared to kit cars, and I know that tubualar space frame construction is suprisingly strong and durable for it's weight.

Also I heard that Lotus uses GM engines that they modify, does anyone know if that's true?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Lotus is, or atleast was, partly owned by GM.

Lotus also has a large engineering division that designs suspensions for other car companies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top