Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2002 12:12:18 PM EDT
In this first incident a witness to a misdemeanor hit and run traffic collision gives chase and [b]fires a warning shot[/b]!
[url]http://www.nctimes.com/news/2002/20020306/54502.html[/url]

In the second incident a ships captain fires a warning shot becuase he thinks a jet skier is acting reckless!!!

[url]http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/020306shooting.shtml[/url]

Warning shots are always a bad idea, in both of these incidences the "warning shots" border on brandishing or ADW.

Shooting a gun or even displaying a gun is an over reaction to a misdemeanor hit and run or a reckless jet skier.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe I read something about the jet skiing incident when it first came out.  

In THAT paper it was stated that the captain was firing a warning shot per his maritime rights because the jet skier was out of control and was threatening to hit (or getting real close) his boat and the passengers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess thats what that "agent" did to the EAGLE SCOUT !!! except the "agent" missed with his warning shot.
OR maybe thats what JBT's consider a warning shot ??
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Two biggest lessons from my CCW class:
1) NEVER shoot a warning shot. It'll only get you in DEEP shit.
2) NEVER shoot to wound. ALWAYS shoot to kill.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the captain was firing a warning shot per his maritime rights because the jet skier was out of control
View Quote

How would a "warning shot" cause the driver to regain control of an "out of control" personal water craft?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope, for your instructor's sake, that this is a joke.

We shoot to STOP an imminent threat of death, serious bodily injury, or if someone needs shootin'.    [}:D]

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope, for your instructor's sake, that this is a joke.

We shoot to STOP an imminent threat of death, serious bodily injury, or if someone needs shootin'.    [}:D]
View Quote

Exactly....I will shoot to stop a threat. I will also shoot for the center of mass because it is the easiest place to shoot under duress. It has nothing to do that all of your guts are in there [:)]

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe I read something about the jet skiing incident when it first came out.  

In THAT paper it was stated that the captain was firing a warning shot per his maritime rights because the jet skier was out of control and was threatening to hit (or getting real close) his boat and the passengers.
View Quote

Not being a maritime guy myself -

How much damage can a [size=1]teeny weeny jet ski [/size=1]do to a [size=6]SHIP?[/size=6] [}:D]

Do you really hafta fire a warning shot in this case???
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Warning shot eh?  Is that what they call misses these days?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Trying to remember the article.

It wasn't a ship.  It was a small touring boat that could have been taken down by the jetski.

And it wasn't "out of control" in a reckless fashion, ie. the guy was playing chicken with his boat full of tourists.

Changes the perspective on it, don't it?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Ponyboy,

Heh heh.  Actually all of those guts are probably the reason that so many instructors cringe at the term "center of mass", since it's located low relative to your thoracic cavity.  

The best place for those first shot/shots are the thoracic cavity, especially centered in the triangle formed by connecting an imaginary line between your nipples and your adam's apple.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Afterthought:

this was being discussed on some forum somewhere at the time.  Someone brought up (don't know the truth of it) that the captain is within his rights on his ship to fire a warning shot.  SOP or something.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Not being a maritime guy myself -

How much damage can a [size=1]teeny weeny jet ski [/size=1]do to a [size=6]SHIP?[/size=6] [}:D]

Do you really hafta fire a warning shot in this case???
View Quote

I've seen a ship in dry dock, off of Lake Texoma, that had a Sea Doo drove through the side of it. It was probably a 42" yacht or so. I don't know all of the circumstances, but I know that it left a big hole midship and probably a hell of a lot of water damage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Good thing that was not a NINJA on the JET SKI! he would have flipped out and cut off the captain's head while he crapped his pants!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're not in fear of your life or someone else's life enough to shoot "for real" then you aren't afraid enough to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Two biggest lessons from my CCW class:
1) NEVER shoot a warning shot. It'll only get you in DEEP shit.
View Quote

You must not have paid attention in your CCW class.

You NEVER "shoot to kill" the person.

You always "shoot to stop" the person from doing what caused you decide to use deadly force in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Take one bullet out of your weapon and throw it away. That'll be equal to a warning shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top