Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 2:20:08 PM EDT
I'm trying to apply for a job online, but they don't want my resume in MS Word format. They want it sent as an "ASCII text" file. Is that just a plain old .txt file that I can cut/paste my resume into on Wordpad, or is there more involved?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
that's it. watch your formatting!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
nope, thats all there is to it. just a .txt file.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm trying to apply for a job online, but they don't want my resume in MS Word format. They want it sent as an "ASCII text" file. Is that just a plain old .txt file that I can cut/paste my resume into on Wordpad, or is there more involved?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

You're correct--they want just a plain old text file.  When you're in Word, choose "Save As" then select "Text only" as the file type.

You might have to edit briefly with notepad to clean up the formatting--MS Word sometimes doesn't handle its own formatting correctly.

Oh, by the way:  ASCII stands for the "American Standard Code for Information Interchange" and makes up the entire standard character set (256 characters.)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that's it. watch your formatting!
View Quote

what formatting? Tabs'N'Spaces is all hes got! [:P]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Damnit, back in my day there was no such thing as these fancy word processor formats. You had to use ASCII, but you first had to convert each character into binary just so it could be fed into the computer that had a whole 6k of ram.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys freakin' rock. Thanks for the heads up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top