Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 9:09:54 AM EDT
BATF has issued an ittelegance alert about the letter openers CAV Arms plastic molder handed out at SHOT show.

BATF issued a intellegance alert to all local LE agencies regarding "a new type of undetectable knife, handed out at a recent Las Vegas gunshow".

The bulletin includes a photo of the "Tactical letter opener" handed out by Arizona precision mold.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
there nothing new ever hear of a CIA letter opener?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
there nothing new ever hear of a CIA letter opener?
View Quote

Yes, which is why BATF said a "new type", I guees they should have said a new [b]Brand[/b].
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Boy they're some really quick dudes aren't they?

CIA letter openers have only been on the market for what 30 years, hell I have 3 Cold Steel tanto versions that are over 10 years old.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Somehow the words "intelligence", "alert" and "BATF" just don't go together. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
In this case, it would appear that "intellgence alert" is an oxymoron.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This is not good. The BATF now has a reason under fighting "domestic terrorism" to go after Cavarms. Stand and fight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In this case, it would appear that "intellgence alert" is an oxymoron.
View Quote

I posted the info only to let CAV arms know their reputation amoung LE agencies is being damaged by their association with this company. In the post 911 world it was short sited of Arizona Precision Mold to hand out a non detectabkle knife to trade show attendies who were most likely [b]flying[/b] home.

Personally I think the biggest "risk" of these knives is their overall substandard quality (when compared to the CIA letter opener) will result in many of them being thrown away where they will be recovered by the dumpster diving dregs of society.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Are these plastic knives have serated sections running the whole length each side of the blade?

I remember back at the last show in Ft Washingtong (THE LAST) a dealer friend of mine had this one plastic knife with a razor sharp blade.  It wasn't the cheapo plastic of some of the copies, had some kinda glass mixed in.  We couldn't really figured out what it was made of.

Heh, 'Tactical Letter Opener", that'll go great with my "Tactical Copy Machine" and "Tactical Copy Machine" :D
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Why is the BATF even involved with letter openers?  Is there a tax on letter openers?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
i was augmented for car searches on base.  during morning role call we had to look at an email about this "new terrorist weapon" a plastic knife.   it had to be the one sine they said a new molder was giving samples of the quality work they can produce.  a guy on duty with me said he had one in the early 80's.  so much for a new idea .
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
if anyone finds any INTELLIGENCE at BATF, by all means ALERT us.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Never under-estimate. We may not like the BS legal labyrinths they impose, but the BATF are not stupid...

This does look like they be attempting to use the Homeland Security excuse to go after Cav.Arms.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#13]
My big question is...[b]What in the hell does the BATF have to do with knives or letter openers or anything else for???[/b] They are supposed to be a tax collecting agency in charge of tarrifs on alcohol, tobacco and firearms [b]ONLY[/b]!

They're gonna stick their jurisdictional neck out too far one day and get it chopped off.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link or source please.

[rolleyes]

I did predict this in that last thread that CAV ARMS would be a target.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
By golly, those feds are smart cookies, yup, yup, yup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Just in case the Feds want something else to worry about--Boker sells a nice line of ceramic kitchen knives.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you mis-interpreted what I meant.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why is the BATF even involved with letter openers?  Is there a tax on letter openers?  
View Quote

Yes under the NKA there's a $200.00 tax on
these.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Haven't jailbirds been making "shivs" out of plastic toothbrush handles for like 40 years????

These BATF guys are SHARP. they're on top of things, I tell ya what.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Ponyboy
My big question is...What in the hell does the BATF have to do with knives or letter openers or anything else for??? They are supposed to be a tax collecting agency in charge of tarrifs on alcohol, tobacco and firearms ONLY!
View Quote

This was my thinking as well. This should be none of their concern. So since Cav Arms also deals in firearms, I guess the ATF thinks they have jurisdiction...

Also, there are MANY things that can be used to cut or jab, that are already on a plane. Look at the aluminum cans they serve! tear one of those in half, and they can cut anyone's throat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Link or source please.[rolleyes]

View Quote

Post your Fax number and I'll send you a copy this week.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Imagine the panic when BATF finds out that for years McDonalds has been giving out plastic knives for free!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes under the NKA there's a $200.00 tax on
these.
View Quote

Even if there was, the BATF shouldn't have jurisdiction over them. There would then be the need for a [b]new[/b] federal agency. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Me too?  Fax 707-220-4593

I heard that terrorists training manuals from Afganistan talked about easy access to plastic knives.  Read that at Bradycampaign.com (Terrorists and Plastic Knives).  Time to close the McDonalds plastic knife loophole![moon]

Thanks!

Shok
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
What the hell?  I saw lots of plastic molded knives and push daggers at the last gun show I attended.  They've been around forever.  The recent popularity is related to the airport crackdown.

When I can get an undetectable ceramic or plastic gun and all plastic ammunition, I'll take it right on the plane with me!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
If the ATF really wanted to hassle CAV Arms they would go at them under 922(p):

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer, or receive any firearm -

SNIP.................

(B) any major component of which, when subjected to inspection by the types of x-ray machines commonly used at airports, does not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the component. Barium sulfate or other compounds may be used in the fabrication of the component.

(2) For purposes of this subsection -

SNIP.................

(B) the term "major component" means, with respect to a firearm, the barrel, the slide or cylinder, or the frame or [red]receiver[/red] of the firearm; and

SNIP.................
View Quote

So, does a Plastic Lower show up on an X-Ray Machine ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I haven't seen this alert come through my office yet, but when it does, I'm going to make a copy, get a Cav Arms letter opener, and frame the two together. [8D]

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Somebody better tell EBAY about this, I see these "high tech" plastic throwing knives all over that site,,, but god forbid you should happen to list a 30 round ammunition magazine.... [:O]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm surprised they haven't regulated plastic soup ladles.  After all, these make a larger hole when you stab someone with them. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#30]
yeah a patented letter opener made outa plastic     is easier to find than a terriorist that wants to kill a bunch of people .
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#31]
dont worry about the fire arm worry about the barrium sulfate that u have to use to make it show up in the x-ray machine.last time i heard barrium i got it in the u know what , and i think thats what there trying to do with this .
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow... Your telling me they have NEW plastic knifes. Thats terrible almost as bad as one of those spoons with the teeth on it.. Somebody better do something soon!!!! MORONS  

Fantom  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I would like to comment on this thread but I am busy deleting any emails or posts concerning Gary or Cav Arms.

AR what?

Gary who?

Whats a CAV?

AR15.com .... I don't think I have been to that site.

LOL
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, und Knives.

BoATFuK??

Maybe they should regulate chainsaws, too.

Insert obligatory beer joke here.

Ah, I know:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, und Composite Knives.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Charlie!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Haven't jailbirds been making "shivs" out of plastic toothbrush handles for like 40 years????

[rolleyes]
View Quote

They also heat up the handles and stick em in  the key holes...."Insta-Key"

Tooth paste and dental floss......."Insta-Hacksaw"......not so insta but you get the point..

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Where's my Spork (tm)?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top