Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 9:07:07 AM EDT
i thought i did once - my former brother in law was also an FFL holder, so i of course bought all my guns through him at cost.  he calls me up one day and said he was contacted by the police, looking for info on a gun that was used in a crime.  turns out it was a glock 30 that i ordered from him, and had later sold at gunshow in a private sale (dumbest transaction i ever made, but that's another story).  he said to expect a call from the police, or BATF or somebody very soon, but no one ever called or contacted me.  that was about 10 months ago.

has anyone actually gotten "the call", saying their gun was used in a crime?  i've bought/sold several guns in private deals like that, but had never given the potential consequences much thought until then.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I sold a gun to a coworker. The gun was later stolen in a residential burglary.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, since I've never sold a gun and don't intend to I hope I never have to deal with that question.  

I do have a question though.  If you sold this G30 which was used in a crime by another party, what significance would there be in law enforcement officials contacting you?  You sold the gun to another individual in good faith that he was not going to use it for criminal purposes.  Shouldn't the buck stop there so to speak?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Has or can a ffl ever become liable for a sale of a gun too a someone who uses it in a crime if they did everything legally?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
turok -
i believe the way it works is...........the police would trace the serial # to the dealer, then contact the person the FFL sold it to.  that person would either still have it, has sold
it, or it was stolen.  the question i have is, if they sold it like i did - how far do they
have to go to prove it?  any criminal using his own gun could say, "yea i sold that awhile
back.  i don't remember the date, and i didn't get his name."  
with all the private sales and stolen guns in the world, i'm sure this takes place all the time.
criminals don't walk into a gunstore, fill out the paperwork, get a background check, then rob a bank - they use guns not traceable back to themselves.

1911greg -
if an FFL conducts a sale according to the law , i believe he is fine no matter what happens to the gun.  of course he could be sued in a civil case though - no matter how unrelated he is.  that's our "justice" system.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to my knowledge. The closest I've ever came to anything like this was shooting a 9mm Ruger pistol about 12hrs before a friend of mine accidentally killed himself playing around with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I sold my Father a Glock 22.  He carries it whenever he is on the farm.  One day he drove the pickup to the hayfield and forgot he was wearing it.

We live in Illinois, so he committed a crime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top