Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2002 7:31:53 AM EDT
How old were you, when you shot your first gun?

Question for you all?

I have three nephews (9,5,3). My brother thinks is time for the nine year-old to start handling a firearm. (wants to take him out target shooting, with a BB-gun) On the other hand, my sister in law is freaking out.
“No son of hers is going to touch one of those “things” as long as he is living under her roof. Yap, yap yap…..”

I know is never too early to educate children about firearms;  

But, what will be a suitable age for a child to start handling a firearm of any type?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Believe I was 6, my twin boys were started at 8.

note : sorry but you can't mention target shooting and BB gun in the same sentence, the BB guns sold  (for the most part) nowadays aren't worth squat and generally don't shoot straight. Try a Sheridan pellet rifle, their single shot and will shoot relatively straight.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I started at age six.  I also bought my older son his first .22 (Marlin 15YN) at six.  He is ten now and a very accurate, very safety-conscious shooter.

My younger son is seven, almost eight, and he is still at the initial stages of shooting.  I totally "shadow" him whenever we are at the bench, and I have not even begun to teach him offhand shooting techniques.  He still has that innocence to him in that he feels invulnerable and I feel he does not have a total grasp of cause and effect.

My point is that I really believe every child is ready at a different age, as I have witnessed the incredible difference in my own two sons.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't remember how old I was when I first shot a BB gun, but when I was 8 I shot my first "real" gun - a .30 carbine. I was just suppose to be watching, but I nagged my Dad to death and he finally let me shoot it.

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Too young to remember exactly.  I think I had my own Lil' Scout when I was 7, and was shooting well before that.  I used to shoot rats with my uncles .22 around that age as well.  

If they are interested, that is the time to start.  Curiosity killed more than the cat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad had me:

Handling the Carcano (home defense) at 5

Shooting my Daisy 130 by age 7

Shooting my Rem700 3006 at 11

Buying massive amounts of firearms while working at a gun store from 17-19.

I'd say that 9 is very safe, HOWEVER, the 3 and 5 year old will have to be taught at the same time, since they will see the 9 year old handling the gun and you know how younger siblings are!  If they are not taught, then there will be bigger problems later down the road.

I'd also suggest making the BB gun a reward for school work, which means that the gun can be taken away if he is not responsible in school and with the gun.  

All in all, 9 is not too young, just make sure the other kids are also taught.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I was about 13... at boy scout camp.  I shot a single shot bolt .22... For the rifle shooting merit badge, I was the #6 top score that week of summer camp.  First time I shot a shotgun was at camp a year later... 5 rounds at 5 skeet, and I hit the first three.  I just wish I could shoot that well now!  LOL

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Tough call... I know it was at summer camp and I was in the youngest group at summer camp. Say 7 or 8. Got my first gun at 10.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad bought me a Savage24V .222/20GA when I was 2, it sat in the cabinet until I was 5 and started shooting it off the bench.  He used to have to load it for me because I couldn't work the lever to break it open.  When I was 7 I started shooting his 6MM Rem 40X off the bench.  I wanted to start shooting offhand so he got me a Marlin "Little Buckaroo" .22...

When I was 8 I wanted to try smallbore so he got me a Anchutz 1403, and I shot smallbore with that until I outgrew it and built a Win52B ... the rest is history[8D]
[url=http://home.epix.net/~angrytek/24V2.JPG]I still have the 24V[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Boy Scouter here.  First shot was a .22 rifle at about age 12 or 13.  My three daughters, OTOH, fired their first shot at about age two.  Obviously, that's more of a trick than any serious education.  They all were shooting .22 rifles and handguns under close supervision at age eight & up.  Only one has shown any real liking for shooting.  She's presently going throught the CMP program for 50 feet .22 rifle shooting & showing the boys how.  The other two are still interested in the occasional trip to the range for some tin can shooting, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Well………. I was 14, it was a Smith & Wesson.  I wass completely inexperienced,  held it to close to my face, and with the recoil, I almost knocked myself out.  I sported a bruise above my eye for about four days…   [B)]

Hey, No shame on my game!!!! [:I]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I shot the BB gun at 5, the .22 at 7 or 8,  the 30-30 a year or two later, and had my first gun (a 12 Gauge single) at 10.  I was first allowed to shoot unsupervised around 11 or 12.

My 3 year old can already tell you what to do when you pick up a firearm, "Check no cartridges". (His words)  Actually applying that to be certain the gun is empty will take a few more years.  I keep testing him with empties in the gun and he runs about 50% actually determining if there are cartridges in the gun.  I'm trying to take the mystery out of guns by allowing him to inspect guns, with my close supervision of course, any time he wants, within reason.  Fortunately, Mrs. Canoe is very gun, hunting, and outdoor oriented so she's cool with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my first .22 when I was 7, Dad felt "real gun" was better to learn with.

I got a 12 gauge breech when I was 10.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't get my first gun 'till I was 11...Until then, I was too busy with model cars...
Dad was a cop, so he was more than happy to get me into guns, and started with a scoped Crossman 760 pump pellet gun...
When my brothers and I were teenagers, he took us to the police station one Saturday, and let us shoot a MAC10/9mm submachinegun...

I now have 4 kids of my own, all girls...11, 6, 2, & 1
The older two, shot for the first time a year ago and loved it. The oldest shot 28 rounds of the 30 round mag...The 6 year old said she had enough after shooting the last two rounds...  

The 11 yr old is very petite and dainty, the 6 yr old is a true "tomboy"...

Their range experience was completely opposite from what I expected...

Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I was 5 and shot a .22 browning semi-auto.  I wa 6 when my Dad let me shoot his first AR-15 from a bench.  It was a A1 model.  Unfortunately for my bank account, I have been hooked ever since.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I was 7 or 8 when I was allowed to shoot my dad's BB gun with supervision.

I was not allowed to own my own gun until I was 18 and got my own FOID card.

I plan on starting my kids between 8 and 10, and the same rule will apply to them: can't own your own gun until 18.

If they want one, fine, but I store it with my guns and I keep it locked in the safe. If they want to shoot it, they do so with my supervision.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#22]
6 years old.  My dad bought me a Marlin Model 60, made me read the manual before I could even touch it, I think...then he quizzed me on the book.  We then went out and shot at a target against a hillside...  I remember several of those trips. By the time I was 9, I was trusted to go wherever I wanted in the woods with it, and a box or two of cartridges.

I lost my dad several years ago (1996) to Heart Disease.  The memories of he and I shooting are some of the fondest I have of him.  Tell your brother about that.  No matter what the wife thinks, the time he spends with his children will be FOREVER appreciated by them.

Make sure there's only one gun there when he takes all three out...
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I was 7, if a Crossman pump-action BB gun counts. I was around 12 for a double barrel shoot gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#24]
My father started me out on a shotgun when I was 11, then he succumbed to soccer mom's wishes to keep the marriage, later her concern over rifles diminished somewhat when both her sons joined the military...when I returned home from the Navy I found both rifles and shotgun had been sold by soccer mom because she didnt want any guns in the house.  Many years later she still has not been forgiven for that deed.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I was about 8. My dad took me pheasant and rabbit hunting on one of the farms he grew up on. Used an old (even then) 410 double barrel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I had my own shotgun when I was 9 and was hunting by myself when I was 11 or 12.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was about 8 years old I shot a bb gun at the Adventureland shooting gallery in Disneyland.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#28]
 About 5 or 6, Dad and my older sisters popping tin cans in the back yard with a Mossberg 22.  After Dad died, the guns got 'put away' intil i was about 14 or so.  I really started shooting about 1982 or 83, at age 30.  Boy am i sorry i missed thse years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well………. I was 14, it was a Smith & Wesson.  I wass completely inexperienced,  held it to close to my face, and with the recoil, I almost knocked myself out.  I sported a bruise above my eye for about four days…   [B)]

Hey, No shame on my game!!!! [:I]
View Quote

Who in the hell let you shoot like that?

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I was 5 and it was a 20 gauge shotgun and bruised my shoulder for a week and I can still remember it.(46 now)  My mom just gave me some old memorabilia stuff she had and in it was an old children's diary she kept and in it was a list of  sixth birthday wishes and one of them was for a rifle.  My wife saw that and was ROTFLHAO  she say's,  "some things never change, forty years later and your birthday list is still the same"!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TylerDurden

Who in the hell let you shoot like that?

View Quote

Hmmmm......my step dad, he thought it was funny……. That bastard.. [pissed]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Young enough that I don't remember.

I do remember when I was about 13/14 and the old man let me shoot his .270. I asked him if it kicked much and he said no. I knew about shotgun recoil but....

Was wondering why he had such a shit eating grin until I fired the thing. LOL
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]
age 4 at Grandpa's, with Mom & Dad looking on. Remington Mdl. 510 targetmaster. I have this rifle to this day. I have a 1 year old grandson, I bought his Cricket the week after he was born. Can't wait for him to get big enough to hold it!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, my mother has a picture of me at 5 years old (in the ugliest red plaid overalls you ever saw) leaning WAY back to hold up Grampa's H&R666 'cause it's so heavy. I don't know when the first time was, but it was way before then with a single shot bolt action Mossberg .22 rifle.

P. S. I own that Mossberg myself now and it is the first rifle my daughter ever shot. Own Grampa's H&R too... tiny little thing just disappears in my hand. Ah, memories!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I was about 7 when my dad let me shoot his Ward's Western Field bolt-action .22.  I put all 7 rounds into a pepsi can at about 5-10 yards.  He was proud of me.  [^]
Got a Daisy BB gun at about 9.  At 13, I shot my first shotgun. Single-shot 20-gauge, and it hurt like hell after 3 rounds.  Got a Ruger Single-Six 22 revolver that Christmas, and also shot my dad's S&W .357 magnum around that time too.  We never really had anywhere to shoot, so I didn't shoot much (other than the BB gun) until I got older.  Got my first AR-15 at 23.  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Single shot air gun under intense supervision about age 6.

First firearm at 10 after intensive safety instruction from my stepfather, who had taught basic rifle and other topics in the Navy.  He put the fear in me.

I didn't own any of my own firearms until my mid-20s.  I had lived in a series of situations in which it wouldn't have been allowed or appropriate to have a firearm around.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Five years old, as was my son and two daughters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#38]
First BB gun at 8.  First shotgun (16 ga.) at 11.  First rifle (30-06)at age 16.

Bob B  [moon]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Sometime in the summer of my fourth year my dad and I were out fishing at our cabin. While we were there the fishing sucked so he brought out a beat to hell Ruger 10/22 that one of his hunting partners kept kept in the Cabin (it is owned by four guys) and a Colt Woodsman. That was the first time I shot a gun. Two years later I got a Marlin/Genfield Mod. 60 (ironically I didn't get a BB gun until a year later), at eleven I got a Winchester Mod. 1912 20 ga., at sixteen I built a AR-15, and for graduation I got a Colt 1991A1 Commander from my dad.
That is not all of them, but there is the highlights.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#43]
young, probably under 9
I'm almost positive I shot a bb gun before being 9, and probably 80% sure I shot my dad's ruger mark2 .22 on a fairly regular basis before turning 9
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#44]
The first Real Gun I shot was a .44 magnum. I was 7 years old, and had been shooting, supervised, a .22 cal Benjamin air rifle for about a year. I was allowed unsepervised access to that rifle at about age 9 and graduated to a 20 gauge pump at 11. Been shooting ever since. It all depends on the child, and their grasp of cause and effect.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#45]
My father started me and my two brothers out shooting at the age of six.  By ten we were shooting his .45.   12 ga. shotgun and .308 at 12.  AR-15 at....36!  Finally!  

We had a SWEET shooting Benjamin Franklin pellet pistol (pump action) that was one hole accurate at fifty feet.  We literally wore it out beyond any possibility of refurbishment.  In its day, though, at 25 pumps it would slam that pellet into a steel trashcan lid so hard that the pellet disintegrated, and blew a nice hole in the lid.  I never chrono'ed it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that it could deliver in excess of 800 FPS, judging by the results.

I'd have to say that's the gadget that made me a pretty good pistol shooter, that little pellet gun.

I'd REALLY like to get another of those pistols!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I got my first Daisy at 5. My dad had to help me hold up his Winchester 290 so I could aim it when I was 6. I taught my son with that same 290.

Thanks Dad.

I'd say firearm awareness should start the same time as 'crossing the street' and 'don't go with strangers'. Hands-on training should start as soon as junior (or missy) is big enough to hold up a Daisy one-pump and responsible enough to not shoot the neighbor kid (even if he deserves it).
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I was 5 when my dad started my brother(3)and I with his S&W .22 Jet.  We of course started with .22lr and cylinder inserts.  I still remember his helping hands wrapped around mine and that gorgeous Smith.

My sons started at 3(my oldest, now 7), and my youngest(2), last Sunday.  They have started with the same .22lr Savage 73Y single shot that my dad gave to my brother and I for Christmas when I was 6.  My oldest son shot the Colt woodsman for the first time this summer at our cabin.  He did great!  We had a spinner out at about 25yds for him.  He consistently had "CLANGS".  It was a real treat.  I of course sat behind him with my hands on his forearms to help steady his grip and make sure the muzzle never went in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#49]
God do you remember the anticipation when it was time to go hunting.  Going through life playing every day. Then one day, "Boys we are going hunting next sunday for a couple of days.", great the next seven days were spent in agony. First you would get all your stuff ready to go, only 6.5 days left until you actually went. And then from there on out through the actual hunting trip is was playing like you were already there camping in your room.  Beds were promptly discarded. "Yep, sleepin on the floor, were roughing it". Playing with your camping gear.  Shooting imaginary quail, pheasant, deer and anything else that seemed like it would be fun.  Reading your hunting books so that you could make sure that your could properly identify the tracks and droppings. And studying your foliage, just in case you got stranded(which would be even more fun). It just went on and on. Then actually getting to go hunting, not sleeping most of the night, Crawling out of bed at 4:30 am and getting dressed and hitting the road. Sleeping all the way there after you had grown tired of listening to your dad and his brother tell stories and lies to one another and basically cutting up.  (Brothers are the best things in the world by the way; you are lucky if you got one). Getting there and setting up camp, which in this case was a trialer that was used for hunting camp. Running into the bedroom you sleep in just to make sure the gun rack and old taped up double barrel 12 gauge are on the wall with the intricate scroll worked Colt revolver. Yep all is in order.  God why do we have to grow up?? What a frickin shame.  But owe how beautiful that world is. My God.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a BB gun before I was in Kindergarten, not sure how long before.  Probably 4...got my first 22 for my sixth birthday, I've probably run 25000 rounds through that little savage lever action, one load at a time...moved onto a browning BLR22 when I was 8, ditto on the round count on it...shows some signs of use, but still in good shape and still have both in my safe.  The savage is a wee bit small for me to shoot now, with it's shortened stock, but my daughter will be ready for it soon.  She's 9.  First shotgun was a 20 gauge winchester pump when I was 11, first centerfire a 3030 model 94 at 12, but I had been carrying a .357 carbine for deer for about a year before that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top