Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2010 8:34:30 PM EDT
Anybody on this? I'm curious –– Worthwhile?
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have bought some odds and ends from there. If you need quality air tools or anything don't even thingk about it but I have bought a lot of random shit there that is not needed for heavy duty use and saved a shit ton of money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have bought some odds and ends from there. If you need quality air tools or anything don't even thingk about it but I have bought a lot of random shit there that is not needed for heavy duty use and saved a shit ton of money.

Their Earthquake series is OK.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you need somthing that is going to see little use harbor freight is great. If you plan to use these tools alot look else wear......Lord knows i have bought a ton of crap from them that i know is either going get lost or stolen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I already get the "Weekly email with members-only savings" for free.  IMO - the rest of the features are BS.

Harbor Freight is pretty low rent, disposable stuff.  I can't imagine buying a membership to get it.  The weekly coupons are free and good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a hammer at H.F. once.  I was thinking "this should be safe, nobody can fuck up a hammer."   Yeah, the chinese can fuck up a hammer.  The face of the hammer splinters when driving nails.

The damn nails are harder than the hammer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The club is bullshit.

They're testing it out. Basically the sales flyer goes down to once a month.

The weekly flyer is the members deals. If enough people don't join, it goes away.

I predict people won't join because HF's customers are the cheapest bastards on Earth.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
dont do the club thingy, they always have 20% coupons in the nra magazines and many others

i have bought quite a bit of stuff from them with no problem (mainly handtools)

i did by a corded drill last year for $15 to use for trimming brass, and its still kicking ass
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I found the ITC to be of no value.  Also, the last I checked, it was only available online.  I wouldn't  buy stuff from HF online unless it is something extremely obscure that I can't get anywhere else.  I signed up the one and only time I ever bought something from their website, let it expire the next year.

Anything I buy from HF, I am going to go to the store and look at it in person to decide it's crap worthiness.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I found the ITC to be of no value.  Also, the last I checked, it was only available online.  I wouldn't  buy stuff from HF online unless it is something extremely obscure that I can't get anywhere else.  I signed up the one and only time I ever bought something from their website, let it expire the next year.

Anything I buy from HF, I am going to go to the store and look at it in person to decide it's crap worthiness.

They're taking a lot of things out of the stores.

HF is changing the way it does things, as well as bringing a more site-to-store model into play.

ETA: I realize this sounds a little too vague, let me expand.

You know how they have 6 drill presses, 12 vices, 4 brakes, 3 lathes, etc...

They're doing away with all that, keeping the cheapest or two cheapest models and the rest will be internet only.

But now, you'll be able to order online and have it shipped to the store.

This will allow you to inspect it and return if not happy.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The main girl at the one I go to said the club is going over like a fart in church and the whole thing is up in the air at this point.  The regular coupons and discounts are supposed to end in favor of the club, but she said no one is joining the club, so who knows?

If that is true nationwide, then the club won't last a year.

I'm pretty sure at this point, that it's already dead in the water...

but HF has some really dense corporate types.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

HF is changing the way it does things, as well as bringing a more site-to-store model into play.

The one here seems to be stocking their higher end stuff. Especially air compressors and air tools.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: I realize this sounds a little too vague, let me expand.
You know how they have 6 drill presses, 12 vices, 4 brakes, 3 lathes, etc...
They're doing away with all that, keeping the cheapest or two cheapest models and the rest will be internet only.

But now, you'll be able to order online and have it shipped to the store.
This will allow you to inspect it and return if not happy.

Ah, fuck.

Where am I going to be able to get my 3-in-1 lighted magnifying nose hair trimmer / tweezers / keyring now??
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Well it's news to me that the ITC is new or a trial or something, because I joined it when I ordered some stuff to lay my hardwood floors.  That has been at least three, maybe four years ago.  And there were plenty of threads over on bt3central about ITC at that time.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ah, fuck.

Where am I going to be able to get my 3-in-1 lighted magnifying nose hair trimmer / tweezers / keyring now??

More of that stuff is going to take the place of the big tools.

Yes, really.
Quoted:

The one here seems to be stocking their higher end stuff. Especially air compressors and air tools.

They must do well in your area.

What I was referring to earlier is the large shop items though, not all tools in general.

Also, HF stocks what it can get. They've been having some pretty awkward supply issues.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well it's news to me that the ITC is new or a trial or something, because I joined it when I ordered some stuff to lay my hardwood floors.  That has been at least three, maybe four years ago.  And there were plenty of threads over on bt3central about ITC at that time.

They never had it in the stores.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, fuck.

Yes, really.

I've already noticed the mini-mills and such being phased out in favor of useful shit like 5' tall pot metal sundials.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, fuck.

Yes, really.

Quoted:

They must do well in your area.

What I was referring to earlier is the large shop items though, not all tools in general.

Also, HF stocks what it can get. They've been having some pretty awkward supply issues.

Agree. Their displays change frequently when they sell out of certain items. Maybe they just got a shipment in of the high end stuff?
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They never had it in the stores.

OK.  I think I am just misunderstanding what has happened but after reading your other posts I get it now.

The ITC has existed for many years, I even just found an old thread from 2006 about it.  

However what is now currently called the ITC is something different than it was in the past, and is ship-to-store.

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I already get the "Weekly email with members-only savings" for free. IMO - the rest of the features are BS.

Harbor Freight is pretty low rent, disposable stuff. I can't imagine buying a membership to get it. The weekly coupons are free and good enough for me.

Yep, Unless you are buying a lot of tools on a regular basis I don't see the "club" having too many benefits. More importantly if you are buying tools a lot and on the regular you should invest in some better quality gear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Craftsman Club - buy once, cry once - seems like I heard that somewhere before . . . .
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#22]
almost as bad as wal-mart with twice the amount of Chinese horseshit

I'll stick with my professional tools
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, fuck.

Yes, really.

I've already noticed the mini-mills and such being phased out in favor of useful shit like 5' tall pot metal sundials.

I'd love to be able to find an X3 in the store with ability to use a 20% coupon. 0% lowers would be no problem at that point.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93885

I'm pretty selective about what I get from HF. I have gotten a air pin nailer. Works great but also sees light use. Just don't use the pins HF sells. Clamps are OK. I can't see joining a club though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top