Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 12:33:17 PM EDT
I just got a book entitled "Shots fired In Anger", has anyone read it? It seems to me with the temp at 12 degrees F, the fireplace stoked up, and new brandy in the house, that this might just be the evening read for a few nights.

SHOTS FIRED IN ANGER

“A RIFLEMAN’S_EYE VIEW OF THE ACTIVITIES ON THE ISLAND OF GUADALCANAL, IN THE SOLOMONS, DURING THE ELIMINATION OF THE JAPANESE FORCES THERE BY THE AMERICAN ARMY UNDER GENERAL PATCH WHOSE TROOPS INCLUDED THE 132ND INFANTRY OF THE ILLINOIS NATIONAL GUARD, A COMBAT WUNIT OF THE AMERICAL DIVISION-IN WHICH ORGANIZATION THE AUTHOR SERVED WHILE ENCOUNTERING THE EXPERIENCES DESCRIBED HEREIN”   (sorry about the caps).

by:  Lt. Col. John B. George (copy write 1947)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I read it years ago, and really enjoyed it.  John George, the author, was Ill. State Highpower Rifle Champion before the war, if I recall correctly.  He brought a trained, knowledgeable rifleman's powers of observation to his experiences in combat.  He observed that excellent marksmanship skills gave his unit the confidence they needed to take on numerically superior Japanese and win.  I recommend it highly!
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top