Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2002 8:11:15 PM EDT
Do those things work?  Gotta get my sagging ass into shape, only 20 pounds overweight for my height, so my target weight is 165 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
yup, they work.  just remember that you have to burn more calories than you take in.  It's that simple.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Better than wasting your money on pills that don't work, why not save some money and cut down on what you put in your piehole to begin with?  [:)]  Seriously, just cut way down on the fat intake and pull back on the calories a bit.  If you're not already doing it, some exercise would probably be a great idea also.  Skip the pills.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
eat healthy, jog every day and work out every other day. ive lost 15 pounds and gained some in muscle in the last 3 weeks following this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes they work. But nothing is free. The cost this time is possibly not being able to sleep at night and possible raised blood pressure. Do yourself a favor, start exercising and watching the processed sugar. If it's white, it's not right. Cut down on white rice, bread , pasta, sugar, atc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
RRotz,

I don't know what those pills you mention cost but let's assume the marketing concept is that customers pay $20 a bottle, run out of pills in a month and come back to buy three more times at $20 a pop before giving up therefore spending a total of $80.

Now, pretend you invested that same money on a consult with a professional nutritionist and a follow up, wouldn't you think that the time spent with the expert talking about what you eat and what your exercise and eating habits were, in effect, truly facing reality rather than buying into a fantasy that is sold in a bottle with the intention of making somebody rich off a gimmick product?

Use your head!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I just cut out caffeine & sugar and I lost 20 pounds in three weeks.

didn't miss the caffeine at all surprisingly.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
What I want to know is the best way to GAIN twenty pounds, fast. Need to gain weight to qualify for some things . .any tips?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Got to cut down on the carbs.  If you serious about it, get the Atkins book and try it.  You will loose the weight in less than 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Two words: Storage unit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The best way I've found is to have a car that needs more money in repairs than it's worth.  Then, you lose lots of weight walking everywhere when you can't find a ride.  Walking six miles each way to work several times per week has really helped me.  It's not that bad.  Picking-up milk and bread on the way home is the hard part.  A gallon of milk gets very heavy, and you have to be careful with the bread to keep from crushing it.  It's some serious exersize.z
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It's all been said before, but:

Long term- running 3-4 days a week, lifting 3-4 days a week.  Running burns the fat, and when done a regular basis, raises your metabolism even when you aren't running.  Lifting increases your muscle mass, so it takes more energy just to move around.  It's like needing more gas for your truck than your Honda.

Short term, Atkins type diet.  High protine, low carbs.  If you really have to shed the weight, almost all protine will put you into a state of ketosis (sp?).  Bad for your internal organs (liver and/or kidneys, I forget) but you lose FAT fast, keep muscle.  Much faster and better ratio than starvation.  Again, a RISKY, SHORT TERM solution.  

PS, does caffine affect weight?  I'm no rocket sceintist, but I thought if anything it would go the other way, as it is legal "speed".  
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You might consider bicycle riding if you can find a safe place to ride.  Running is OK, but it can be hard on the joints.

If you can find a worthy cause, a hunger strike is a good technique too. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just cut out caffeine & sugar and I lost 20 pounds in three weeks.

didn't miss the caffeine at all surprisingly.
View Quote

Wow... that's a lot of weight to lose in only three weeks.

Have you kept it off?
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I want to know is the best way to GAIN twenty pounds, fast. Need to gain weight to qualify for some things . .any tips?
View Quote

Get married. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Only one way to lose wt.
You must burn more than you consume..the greater the caloric debt the more wt you lose
So you must..
take in less calories yet not deprive your body of essential vitamins and minerals
the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn...
so you need to gain muscle and increase aerobic activity to raise your base metabolism rate
caffeine may help some...to burn more stored calories (fat)
If you can sustain an hour a day of areobic activity and keep you heartrate up you will burn more calories
Wt. training will put on muscle needed to burn more calories
no short cuts work well over long period of time...starvation while it will work short time...your body will crave more food and you will end up putting on more wt. then you had originally..you need a lifestyle change not a gimic..imo
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I work with Dietitians,

best thing to do, is eat breakfast.  If you dont, your body goes into stavevation mode.
c-rock
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]
aerobic excercise. Period.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Methamphetamine.  Period.

J/K, I deal with meth-heads during my work and they are the most f'ed up people this side of Hillary Clinton.  But they're thin!  [;)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#20]
You don't even have to exercise to loose wieght. Just simply cut your fat to about 20-25 grams of fat a day. while doing this you might want to invest in some vitamins like "one a day" or something till you figure how to eat the foods that will keep your vitamin and mineral intake up and the fat down. I am a college student and have been going to work out for some time. I have been a little over 200 pounds since I started a long time ago. Finally I decided to just eat right. 23 pounds in a month came off. Obviously it worked better for me cause I am working out, but you wouldn't believe how good I feel during the day. Tons of energy and I am fully awake. The best part is after a while of watching what you eat, you don't even want to touch things that are bad for you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Metabolife, Metabolift, Ripped Fuel, etc.  Most of these products have Epedra/MaHuang in them.  Basically it is a legal, herbal speed.  They increase your metabolism and get you all amped up.  I've taken one of these type of pill and could feel the jitteryness and increased heart rate.  Ephedra products have caused heart problems in some people and some say that it's responsible for some deaths.  Being a "supplement" or something, it is immune to FDA regulation apparently.  
I'd go with the simple math diet- burn more calories than you take in.  You will lose weight, just make sure you the difference is healthy. -yeah if you burn 3000 calories in a day and consume 0, you'll lose weight- but not healthy.  You want to burn fat and not muscle, so I would keep the difference between what you consume and what you burn to between 500-1000 a day.  Eliminate fats first, as they have twice the calories as carbs.  Hope this helps, just my .02
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you considered liposuction?
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#23]
If you need it off fast sweat pants thick wool shirt thermal underwear a nice thick hat and about 3 hours in a the gym sauna on a bike. We had a guy lose 25 lbs doing this be for weight in. Just to tell you the only thing you losing is water and it's good way to end in a hospital.

Ok about the bread and carb thing just look at places like China, Japan and India what do the eat? Rice like crazy(There mostly skinny people.) if you just eat rice and use the carb from that to power you all day you will lose more weight. Just eat a bag of rice for breakfast  don't eat a lunch and have a low fat and carb dinner and take a walk or if you don't want to do that and you have stairs walk up and down them for a half hour. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Lose 20? Take a medium alice pack with 45 pounds, a pistol belt with 45, ammo, and canteen, and an AR and hump each morning at 4:30 three miles  for 12 weeks. Assuming you have it to lose you will.

To another AnotherPundit, the best way to gain 20, get cable and drink lots of beer. Aboout one year will do it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm taking Betalean and it works!  You see, whatcha gotta do is put the pills at your friends house and job your fat ass over there to get them each time you want to take one!  PRESTO!  Instant loss of 20 pounds!

Actually, i only use them to stay awake, not to mention these pills contain a lot of bad shit in them which can weaken the heart valves and create a permanent murmur.  I take 1/6th the daily dosage, only to wake up in the AM and kick my metabolism into gear.  Good stuff though, i recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a zone fan myself.  It advocates 40/30/30 where 40 is total dietary percentage of carbs.  30 and 30 refer to percentage of fat and protein respectively.  When you figure out how much and what kinds of protein, fat and carbs you can eat, you plan your meals accordingly.  The moral of the story is astonishingly simple:  Eat high quality, low fat meats such as fish and chicken, eat high quality, low sugar carbs such as certain fresh veggies and fruits and high quality fats all in moderation and you will attain ideal body mass and a healthy physical profile in due time.  I restarted the Zone two weeks ago and I've lost 7 pounds, my cholesterol dropped 17 points while maintaining my HDL level and my body fat dropped 1-2 measured %.  This is combined with my normal workout schedule(unchanged). By the way, I am never hungry and I do not crave.  I have also cut caffeine alot and that helps too.  The only reason I ever go off the zone is because I revert to convenient foods and evil business lunches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top