Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2002 8:41:37 AM EDT
when i purchased my AR-15 a few yrs ago, i went in the store and the guy tried to sell me the .233 version(which i have) and a .308 version.  (which i dont have.)  anyway, i have never seen one in action, and was wondering if anyone has them.  are they much different?  i assume not, but you know what happens when you assume!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It's called an AR10, which was actually developed before the AR15.  It's .223 not .233.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
They are as Larry says, different rifles of
similar design.

When I asked at a show, I was told that the .308 cartridge is too long for the AR mag well, so you will not find any .308 uppers for the AR.

The 7.62 X 39, though, I have seen uppers for that cartridge.  I would feel a little weird shooting one of those, though -- as in "which side are you [b]on[/b], man??"

I do not have an AR-10, but shot one once.  It wasn't very accurate for some reason, but I think the guy's scope mount (or rings) was loose or something.  I didn't notice the brand of scope. Also, he didn't seem to be a guy that shoots a lot.

The .308 is a great cartridge and I'd love to have a bolt action in that cartridge, or even a PRK-correct semi-auto from Browning or Winchester or Remington , though I haven't shopped & don't know what's out there.  Of course, as long as I'm in PRK, no AR-10 for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]
That .233 is very rare, hold on  to it!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone still have that AR10 mpeg bookmarked?  The one with (I believe) Gene Stoner giving the AR10 a romp in the mud and sand, freezing it and still shooting it?  I saw it when I first signed on in September.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
All kinds of Armalite videos to check out here:

[url]http://www.armalite.com/streamingMedia/streamingMain.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Closest thing I know of was an "AR-16" in 7.62.  Never an AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That .233 is very rare, hold on  to it!!
View Quote

It would be best for the children if "I" held on to it !  (For him of course.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top