Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 8:31:36 PM EDT
A NEW ALARMING STATISTIC ABOUT GUN OWNERS VERSUS DOCTORS WAS JUST RELEASED, THIS WILL DEFINATELY PROVE TO BE OUR GREATEST PROBLEM YET.....

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
    Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.
    Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171
    (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.
    Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 700.
(1999)
    Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000094

Statistically, doctors are approximately 18,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand.

As a Public Health Measure, I have withheld the statistic on Lawyers for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical aid.
View Quote

....DOCTORS!  WHO KNEW?!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
ban doctors for the children!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, this is like, "99 percent of all those arrested homicide consumed some sort of wheat product within 24 hours before the commission of the crime."  Ban wheat.  Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ban Death!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Ban sugar, its making everyone crazy!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree....we need to ban doctors...for the children!  

medcop
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
These statistics disturb me.

What is a "fatal medical error"?--if someone comes into the hospital and is having a heart attack, and they die in the hospital, is that a fatal medical error?  What if they are given a medication that doesn't work well enough, and they die?  What if they have a fatal allergic reaction?  

If you are going to compare numbers, why don't you compare the number of times a gun is drawn or fired vs the # of hospital admissions?  In both cases there is a problem that needs addressed.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
[i](Edited for clarity of firearm data)[/i]
Okay, BOOKMARK THIS:

Though the years are not identical (1997 vs 1999), the trends are still important...

Hospital Admissions/Year = approx. 33,600,000 (1997)
Total Number of Hospital Deaths/yr [u]Due to Medical Error[/u]:
* 44,000-98,000 deaths due to errors. (0.13%-0.29% fatal error rate) Inst. of Medicine study
* 5,000-15,000 deaths due to errors (0.014%-0.045% fatal error rate) JAMA study

Total Number of Guns in US = approx 200,000,000
Total Number of Gun Owners  = approx 65,000,000
Firearm-Related Deaths (1999)
* 28,874 TOTAL firearm deaths. (0.044% of # gun owners)
*   8,259 Firearm murders. (0.013% of # gun owners)
* 20,615 Accident/suicide firearm deaths. (0.032% of # gun owners)

[b][u]KEY POINTS[/u]:
* The number of gun owners is [u]double[/u] that of number of patients admitted to hospitals each year.
* The number of accidental gun deaths per year barely exceeds the [u]LOWEST estimates[/u] of the number of deaths due to hospital errors.
* The gun death rate (including by accident AND murder) is 44 per 1,000 gun owners.
* The "accidental/suicidal" gun death rate is 32 per 1,000 gun owners
* The medical error death rate is 14 to [red]290[/red] [shock] per 1,000 hospital admissions.
[/b]

[b]Clearly, owning a gun is safer than being admitted to a hospital.[/b] [^]

Data Sources:
[url=http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/releases/01facts/99mortality.htm][b]CDC Mortality Data 1999[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/99cius.htm]FBI Uniform Crime Statistics 1999[/b][/url]Table 2.13 Circumstances by weapon.
[url=http://www.mynra.com/][b]MyNRA[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/amnews/pick_01/prsb0820.htm][b]AMA News[/b][/url]
[url=http://books.nap.edu/books/0309068371/html/1.html#pagetop][b]Institute of Medicine Report[/b][/url]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What is a "fatal medical error"?--if someone comes into the hospital and is having a heart attack, and they die in the hospital, is that a fatal medical error?  What if they are given a medication that doesn't work well enough, and they die?  What if they have a fatal allergic reaction?  
View Quote

No, obviously not. Medical "accidents" are those  that have been investigated and shown to be errors in diagnoses and/or treatment of patients resulting in death - not due to natural consequences of their ailments.

If you are going to compare numbers, why don't you compare the number of times a gun is drawn or fired vs the # of hospital admissions?  In both cases there is a problem that needs addressed.  
View Quote

Yes, that would make gun ownership look even MORE safer than hospital stays.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh oh, I just realized that doctors all have to be trained and licensed to practice, maybe we shouldn't look at these statistics, otherwise we'll have the same procedure for us!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have worked in a hospital for a little over two years and I have seen Doctors kill patients may times. Why because they are held up on high they don't lesion to the Nurse or God forbid a paramedic.

No all doctors are like this but there are a lot who are. They think there $hit does not stink. I have seen it about 20 or 30 times.

A few times it had been with babies I have taken about 20 babies that where full sized down to the cooler. There is nothing worse then that and a few times it has been because of the doctor. It's something that stays with you forever.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Uh oh, I just realized that doctors all have to be trained and licensed to practice, maybe we shouldn't look at these statistics, otherwise we'll have the same procedure for us!  
View Quote

So, how well is it working for the doc's?  Maybe they should be as untrained as us poor undeumacated gun owners.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top