Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 9:15:21 AM EDT
I got my throat lased and my tonsils out two weeks ago.  I had a permenant low grade infection from my tonsils that required surgery so I said,"what the hell" and got my throat lased as well.

It HURT, to say the least, I dropped 12 pounds and today is the first time in 13 days that I ate solid food.

The big question, will this make your old lady stop complaining that you snore to much???  I think yes. I am single so I have no wife to test it on, so I visited my old girlfriend.  She said it reduced snoring from a 10 to a 2.

It was an uncomfortable first week so take a week off work if you can.  They schedule you for a follow-up two weeks later, if I saw the Doc three days later I may have killed him,,lol.  Oh, did I say IT hURT.........
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
let me get this straight... did you say that this procedure actually hurt?  Its hard to tell as you were not entirely clear on the matter.   j/k  [;)]

I may be interested in this.  what was the cost and what did you 'drink' ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]

I had the surgery 5 years ago.
Uvulo-palatoplasty. I still remember
the first real meal after 2 weeks of
chocolate and strawberry Ensure meals
in a can, noodles in a cream sauce.
My snoring went from a 10 to a 2. In six
months I was back to a 9.  The back of your
throat won't seal up as well. Just wait until
you try clearing your throat and can't.
Drinking cold drinks too fast and you'll have
some of it will go up into your sinus cavity.
I wouldn't do the surgery again if I had it
to do over

Bob
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, but I don't feel your pain. I've been wondering why I couldn't just have that swollen piece of meat cut off. Now maybe I won't be in such a hurry.

What were the symptoms of your infection?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Axel;...If you have a swollen peice of meat in the back of your mouth ... maybe you shouldn't talk about that at this site![;)]

sorry I couldn't resist!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Gee thanks!  I may be facing that soon too.  Partly for difficulty in breathing during sleep, but more for my screwed up sinuses, so I'll probably get a roto-rooter job on top of that.  Is it possible to be knocked out for the entire duration of the recovery?  [;)]

People keep telling me "I'd never do that again" but to those that had it done long ago, do you regret it???
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#7]
[shock]

ok, no surgery for me!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a guy that does it in my area.  [url]http://www.snoredoctor.com/homepage.htm[/url]

My wife's been after me for awhile now.  I think I'll have her read this thread, instead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
To Everyone considering this surgery:
I have worked in Sleep Disorders Medicine for the last 11 years. Make sure that what you have is just snoring, and not Obstructive Sleep Apnea, a condition associated with loud snoring. It is essentially a collapsing airway that does not allow you to breathe, repeatedly during the night, and untreated will increase your risk for strokes, heart attacks and other types of really bad things. Also, the Uvulopalatopharngoplasty surgery is a painful bitch and doesn't affect apnea positively hardly at all, in our experience, the surgeon will probably tell you otherwise. The laser surgery is even less effective. Both will do well for snoring, if only for a while...that's usually a crap shoot. In short, know what your dealing with from the disease standpoint (benign snoring vs. Apnea)and get educated 100% on risks and chances of success before allowing anyone to hack out the back of your throat. Just my .02
Pit
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Was it worth it??  Well my tonsils were chronically swollen and causing grief and the snoring was a bitch.  If it helps I'd say it was a good thing.  But the fact is the de-snoring process may not work forever and that is a fact.

YES, it was painful as all HELL!!  I enjoyed water and wet scrambled eggs and the thought of swallowing was enough to make me seriously walk around with a drool cup to spit in.

All the narcotics barely kill the pain and have a delightful side effect.  You are plugged like an 85 y/o who eats nothing but crackers all day.

But my cold of 11 months is fading away. So it has done a little of what it was supposed too.  If you snoring has no actual health effects I'd pass.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have infected tonsils it's gonna be just a matter of time before they need to be removed to improve your quality of life (after the pain anyhow). Infected tonsils and the surrounding tissue will swell,become irritated, and snoring will result. On the other hand...if you have extra tissue, unique anatomy, or atrophy due to age, physical shape, or disease.... upper airway/oral surgery is obviously an option to resolve snoring. If you or a loved one suffer from snoring...ALWAYS be sure to ask your MD if you may be suffering from some form of sleep disorder. If so, sleep apnea may be the culprit. See a MD that specializes in sleep medicine and get a sleep study done.
Many options are available for those that suffer from snoring due to a diagnosed sleep disorder. Surgery is NOT the only option.
rigid out

[url]www.apneanet.org[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top