Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 7:11:01 PM EDT
I flew in a TRIKE 2 person  ultralight on vacation on Maui last month and it was a blast. I want to learn how to fly one myself now.

Any fliers out here?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
O/T  I'm an experienced U/L flyer and also a licensed private pilot. I would STRONGLY suggest you go to a local flight training school and get a "ground school", as well as basic flight instruction. U/L's are VERY unforgiving in even a light to moderate wind as well as during a sudden weather change when winds can gust rapidly and shift direction quickly. U/L's are much slower in reaction time during a control input during flight manuvers or with a throttle increase or decrease. They are NOT certified aircraft and DO NOT comply to structural requirements as certified aircraft are required to do.Some U/L type aircraft are stressed to thier design limits just to be airborne. You factor in rapid climb or descent rates, abrupt control changes or a mutitude of other factors and you could easily invite structural failure.
While I'm not trying to discourage you from sport aviation, I AM trying to impress upon you the absolute necessity to know how to fly safely.
Any landing you and the passengers can walk away from is a good landing. A landing where you can use the airplane again is an excellent landing.
The laws of aerodynamics are very unforgiving, and the ground is hard. Larry a.k.a. loose-round
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top