Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 3:43:51 PM EDT
There was a post about what guns you own and some people were getting scared that 1, a criminal would find out about all your guns and steal them and 2. a branch of Law enforcement might be monitering and figure out what kind of guns everyone has. aren't these both unlikely because how could someone track you from your screen name on this site? I amagine email is one way but if you had like a yahoo account thats all the info they could get??
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I am an LEO, and I just dealt with a civilian that was able to get Name, address, etc. on some people.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as you used false information to set up your Yahoo account (which I assume everyone does) I don't see how Anyone can find your true identity. I'm still not giving out my gun information on the net.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I work for the World's Largest Internet Provider. Nothing is private on the internet. The end. Your screen name provides limited anonimity. Very Limited. Speak your mind, but remember this is a public forum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You are not anonymous on the internet.  
Have I said that enough times?

I don’t care how many times you proxy bounced. I don’t care how bad your browser lies. I don’t care if you use a 2048 bit encrypting tunnel to a multiplexed proxy that uses packet delay.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy and Grock dished out the high end answer. Gabriel gave us the "average man in the street" version.

Everyone has a public and private IP address. It is relatively easy - assuming you have the right software, to track down someones public IP address. The private address - as in: exactly which machine, in what building sent a particular message through a particular ISP -> that is some pretty heavy duty stuff. While the average LEA in America most likely does not have either the resources or the talent to do this - they can easily get assistance from Big Brother.

Bottom line - watch what you say. Besides, no one appreciates a braggert or a pseudo tough guy either in person or behind a screen.

Good luck to all, stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Having said that – “You are not anonymous on the internet.”

Has anyone noticed that some phone companies sell “Per minute internet access cards?”

I saw them for sale at the 7-11 today.

That and multiproxy (www.multiproxy.org) or several erm borrowed firewall(ssh/telnet) accounts from a motel room(paid for with cash) ought to buy you several blissful moments of anonymity. Just don’t leave prints, be careful about cameras, and flash your mac prom later.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't even need the the IP address, you post under the same name and someone will get enough information to build a profile. I just saw one done, the individual knew their way around the net, got the person into a chat room and came up with their address, their relatives address, and when their father died...it only takes effort, how much effort are you worth?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Your IP# is the same as your phone # !!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It's actually not too difficult to track people down, depending on what they give out.  Some annoying internet-personals chick asked me what I could find out about her, so I told her her home address and phone number -- and I didn't even know her name to start with.

It's possible to get fairly serious anonymity, but you really have to work at it.  When I do things I don't want traced, I go to the library and use their machines.  Even so, I assume I could be found if the cops pulled the library's surveillance videotapes and did a biometrics search through the driver's license photos database.

Anonymous proxies and remailers also work, but again, you're at the mercy of those sites and their refusal to divulge information.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your IP# is the same as your phone # !!
View Quote

This is a joke, right?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I think he means that it is an identifier like your phone number. except that you can not really get a nonpublished one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been in the computer/communications biz for 20 years. Don't make it any easier for a scum-bag to find you own ar's. This includes putting info on the net.  Some of the other guys
explained in technical terms how system types would track you. Trust me in saying Uncle can do the same MUCH faster if they want. The people I feel you need to watch out for is the average flim-flam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top