Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 1:30:47 PM EDT
Are there any specifics that i should know about before I do a lube/oil/filter service on my 2002 cummins? I have done this before on my older 92 GMC k2500. But, with a different truck and type of motor I was wondering what else i should do besides screwing on a Mopar oil filter and dumping in a CASE of Delo oil.

Karl
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the vehicle manual!!  Though I rarely read instructions myself the newer vehicles can have some important info.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have gone over the manual several times. All I am looking for are hints, clues, pointers, or any other trick of the trade that would not have been covered in the manual.

Karl
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I strongly urge you to fill the oil filter with oil before you install it. This cuts way down on stall time before oil starts circulating & thus allows less time for bare metal to rub on itself.

Slick 50 ain't a bad idea, either.

You're using Shell Rotella, yes?

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, an oil filled filter will do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
[url=http://www.enginelube.com]Engine Lubrication Systems[/url]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This photo shows the proper way to have your oil changed.

[url]http://home.att.net/~scbaumbach/oilchange.jpg[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top