Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:24:50 PM EDT
I realize there is a blade forum, but I don't know how much traffic it gets, so I thought I would try here first. I just picked up two Buck knives from an old guy in town  They are both in almost like new conditions. They are both built on what appears to be the Buck 119 design. The first one is a standard black handled Buck 119 from the tang down, but the blade is different than any Buck knife I have ever seen. It looks just like a regular 119, but the back of the blade, or the unsharpened side, has sawtooth type knotches, and the false edge is sharpened and serrated. The blade doesn't say 119 like my other Buck 119 knives. It says Buck Custom USA on one side of the blade, and 155 on the other. The sheath it is in is a standard 119 sheath.
The second knife is a brass hilt and tang, red glossy wood finish handle, with a standard 119 blade. It just says Buck USA on the blade. The sheath for it is brown leather. Any idea if either of these knives are anything special?? I think the one with the reddish wood handle is probably nothing, but the Buck Custom has me kinda interested. I appreciate any input. I paid $20  for the pair by the way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Post pictures.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
sell them and get a real american made blade. not one that uses soft japanese steel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
sell them and get a real american made blade. not one that uses soft japanese steel.

What soft Japanese steel is present in those knives? Buck is one of the real-est American blade producers there is.

ETA: These guys might know. Buck Knives Forum at BF
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Both blades are stamped USA. And I have plenty of American made blades. Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
i think the last knife you mentioned was in their series of knives made with cocobolo wood.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Buck had certain lines that were made overseas in the past.  If the blade is stamped USA then it's made here in the states.

Actually, I think it wasn't too long ago Buck announced that they would be bringing back all of their operations to the USA.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy crap, you stole em at $20. If in nice shape those are easily $100+  knives.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What soft Japanese steel is present in those knives? Buck is one of the real-est American blade producers there is.

ETA: These guys might know. Buck Knives Forum at BF

Thanks for the link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top