Posted: 12/21/2009 11:11:02 AM EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9pRyv9Sjak

Bunch of tough guys in there!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Surprising....
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Now I've never had any martial art training in one of those places, just what the government gave me.

That does not look like a "conducive" learning environment.  

Maybe I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the Cobra Kai dojo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sweep the leg???
We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in
the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An
enemy deserves no mercy.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Its obvious that everyone in this thread is just a racist.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably our tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]
really odd.  I only see one on one?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
WTF are they trying to teach? If a guy who is a foot taller and 250 pounds heavier than you wants to kick your ass you're fucked?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a good place to earn a BB, IMHO.

Too many schools give those things out like candy.

The best way to learn how to defend yourself against a big, mean asshole, is to get hit by a big mean asshole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now I've never had any martial art training in one of those places, just what the government gave me.

That does not look like a "conducive" learning environment.  

Maybe I just don't get it.

If it was a black belt tests... some places' black belt tests involve you actually facing something you can't handle, and taking a beating in the process.  I'm not defending it, just saying that it's not a reasonable representation of what an everyday class would be like.

I know it's a different sort of organization, but if I recall, the Chute Box black belt test consists of you fighting every other black belt for something like 30-40 minutes STRAIGHT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Meh.  At least he's making sure they can actually fight.  

Earning a Black Belt used to mean something.  Now every 8 y/o with rich parents and a power rangers fetish has one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Earning a Black Belt used to mean something.  Now every 8 y/o with rich parents and a power rangers fetish has one.

Not so much. All it looked to me like the kid in the red Gi was getting taught was..... well, nothing, really. If anything, it looked like he was in the process of having his confidence broken. It also looks like he didn't know a whole lot to start with... I saw no real technique coming out of him.

Come to think of it, there wasn't much technique on either side of the fence here. A few bruce-leeroy looking moves, but nothing really decent.

The only thing I can say about it is that the adults were being fairly controlled... the kid wasn't going to really be injured by any of that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I want my child pushed like this.  My little girl (now 13) is in gymnastics for cheerleading and we push her hard just like this (yelling, screaming, tears the whole nine yards).  She is captain of the team this year and improving every game.  She loves to cheer and has the potential for a scholarship in a few years.  She wants it, we push her so she doesn't cheat herself out of it in pity.

That curl up in a ball and the beating stops when the crying starts dojo is not where I would want my children learning.  Don't let them start being quitters and they won't become one.  That boy was pushed to the limit by an opponent he couldn't win against.  He learned not to quit.  He was made better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want my child pushed like this.  My little girl (now 13) is in gymnastics for cheerleading and we push her hard just like this (yelling, screaming, tears the whole nine yards).  She is captain of the team this year and improving every game.  She loves to cheer and has the potential for a scholarship in a few years.  She wants it, we push her so she doesn't cheat herself out of it in pity.

That curl up in a ball and the beating stops when the crying starts dojo is not where I would want my children learning.  Don't let them start being quitters and they won't become one.  That boy was pushed to the limit by an opponent he couldn't win against.  He learned not to quit.  He was made better.

The thought crossed my mind that the kid was the instructor's son. It would explain allot.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I want my child pushed like this. My little girl (now 13) is in gymnastics for cheerleading and we push her hard just like this (yelling, screaming, tears the whole nine yards). She is captain of the team this year and improving every game. She loves to cheer and has the potential for a scholarship in a few years. She wants it, we push her so she doesn't cheat herself out of it in pity.

That curl up in a ball and the beating stops when the crying starts dojo is not where I would want my children learning. Don't let them start being quitters and they won't become one. That boy was pushed to the limit by an opponent he couldn't win against. He learned not to quit. He was made better.

Your daughter is going to hate cheerleading in 3 years or less.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Not the responses I was expecting.

But I guess you folks are right, the best way to make my son a man is to beat the shit out of him in front of everyone, and demonstrate that I am big and strong, and he is weak and powerless.  Thanks for the great parenting tips ya'll, keep em coming!

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweep the leg???

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, inthe streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. Anenemy deserves no mercy.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I want my child pushed like this. My little girl (now 13) is in gymnastics for cheerleading and we push her hard just like this (yelling, screaming, tears the whole nine yards). She is captain of the team this year and improving every game. She loves to cheer and has the potential for a scholarship in a few years. She wants it, we push her so she doesn't cheat herself out of it in pity.

That curl up in a ball and the beating stops when the crying starts dojo is not where I would want my children learning. Don't let them start being quitters and they won't become one. That boy was pushed to the limit by an opponent he couldn't win against. He learned not to quit. He was made better.

I don't see it.  We've been at this since 2001 when she went from barely making midget league and being shy, to Captaining one of the best middle school squads in southern WV.  We progress as she feels comfortable.  We started with a back handspring, and she is landing layouts now.  When she is comfortable with that we will move her along to a half, then a full.  She provides drive, the energy, and the interest, we don't let her feel sorry for herself, or let her slack off and tell her it will work out (we all know if you quit you lose).  She has the option to stop at the end of each season.  If she chooses to go forward, she must see that season to the end.  No quitting.  

She will be back in the backline, on the ends next season as a freshman on the varsity squad (that is preparing for states now) but she will be on the squad, and she earned it.  It makes me proud to know she now understands that her hard work has put her into a position that gives her a sense that she has accomplished something.

Too many soft people acting tough, and raising soft kids that will be soft just like them.  Of course we only blame sheep for that right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea, I do not see the problem with this. Its just a different learning environment. No one got serious hurt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#21]
When fighting in a controlled environment, you have to control the center of that environment.

What you see there is the only way to learn to do so...
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The money she saves on college tuition from the scholarship can be used for therapy later on too!

Double win!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Needs more Ed Hardy gear and Tapout shirts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see it.  We've been at this since 2001 when she went from barely making midget league and being shy, to Captaining one of the best middle school squads in southern WV.  We progress as she feels comfortable.  We started with a back handspring, and she is landing layouts now.  When she is comfortable with that we will move her along to a half, then a full.  She provides drive, the energy, and the interest, we don't let her feel sorry for herself, or let her slack off and tell her it will work out (we all know if you quit you lose).  She has the option to stop at the end of each season.  If she chooses to go forward, she must see that season to the end.  No quitting.  

She will be back in the backline, on the ends next season as a freshman on the varsity squad (that is preparing for states now) but she will be on the squad, and she earned it.  It makes me proud to know she now understands that her hard work has put her into a position that gives her a sense that she has accomplished something.

Too many soft people acting tough, and raising soft kids that will be soft just like them.  Of course we only blame sheep for that right?

Say that part in bold out loud.

Seriously, you are yelling at your daughter to the point of tears because she is "Captaining one of the best middle school squads in southern WV."

Sounds like the mothers in that show about beauty contests.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
It's the barber shop guys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The money she saves on college tuition from the scholarship can be used for therapy later on too!

Double win!

That's what I was thinking....it's frickin cheer leading, not an Olympic sport.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#27]
KICKIN IT ZIMBABWE STYLE!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Um, yeah.  Just responding in reference to the way you described yourselves, but speaking as someone who used to teach team gymnastics, you could do some longer-term good for your girl by toning yourselves down a tad.  Kids can do w/ less cathartic "drama", not more.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#30]
So, What is the problem?..

Would you rather see them in a "set" or "click" with a banger daddy?..

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#31]
And now the follow-up to that video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnsg0jDbHk4
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
WTF is the problem? When you teach kids Karate you give them milk and cookies or something? Any of you guys ever even try martial arts, let alone make it to black belt? Its not for little armchair warrior pussies who copy paste and bitch on the internet all day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

She isn't only going to hate cheerleading, she's gonna hate YOU. When she goes to college, don't expect that weekly call.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people shouldn't be parents.  What a f'ed up way to treat your child.

She likely won't just hate cheerleading but her parents, too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#35]
TAG
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WTF is the problem? When you teach kids Karate you give them milk and cookies or something? Any of you guys ever even try martial arts, let alone make it to black belt? Its not for little armchair warrior pussies who copy paste and bitch on the internet all day.

And what are you doing right now, tough guy?

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

WTF are they trying to teach? If a guy who is a foot taller and 250 pounds heavier than you wants to kick your ass you're fucked?

You were saying?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I put my son and daughter in Kempo Karate. They both worked hard and 4 yrs later they achieved there Black Belts. They went through many forms and techniques,sticks, swords,sythes and other stuff. They have a basic concept of self defence. There Instructors impressed self discipline and character. It helped mold them in ways I could not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not the responses I was expecting.

But I guess you folks are right, the best way to make my son a man is to beat the shit out of him in front of everyone, and demonstrate that I am big and strong, and he is weak and powerless.  Thanks for the great parenting tips ya'll, keep em coming!

This reminds me of a thread I posted when I witnessed a woman Beating, not spanking, her 2 kids in public. I called the police on her and made the mistake of posting about it here. I got called  "a bed-wetting liberal" for it.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
It's one thing to teach the kid not to be afraid of a bigger, stronger opponent. It something else to beat his butt past the teaching/learning phase of any training. The guy is a dick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double win!

I thought most colleges were bailing on Cheerleading? Maybe it's only the elitist left coast liberal schools but I remember a couple of them shut all that down.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJ2T023M4I

You were saying?

You're right, the little kid was a pussy he should have put the guy in a submission hold.

He was obviously very ready for the challenge after being taught advanced ground techniques and had excellent fighting form he should have used those skills.

Poor kid is now a fighter for life he'll never be able to snuggle with his girl.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You've studied martial arts, but you can watch that video and believe that either of those students was even vaguely close to being ready for black belt testing?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry guys, I've actually taken martial arts classes myself and know what benefits can be taken from hard work, physical exertion, and ocasionally getting your ass handed to you.... but that 30 something year old pushing and shoving around a little kid however, has exactly jack shit to do with martial arts.  Where was the martial arts in that bullshit?!  

By posting comments in support of this "training" method you reveal you know shit about martial arts, or how to effectively train/teach it.  Some of your are certifiably insane.  You expect your 9 year old kid to be able to take on a 38 year old grown male?  LOL, who do you think your kid is, Leonidas?

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

And now the follow-up to that video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnsg0jDbHk4

Good one.....

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sorry guys, I've actually taken martial arts classes myself and know what benefits can be taken from hard work, physical exertion, and ocasionally getting your ass handed to you.... but that 30 something year old pushing and shoving around a little kid however, has exactly jack shit to do with martial arts.  Where was the martial arts in that bullshit?!  

By posting comments in support of this "training" method you reveal you know shit about martial arts, or how to effectively train/teach it.  Some of your are certifiably insane.  You expect your 9 year old kid to be able to take on a 38 year old grown male?  LOL, who do you think your kid is, Leonidas?

Yea, but come on...

Is there really anything more fun than beating the snot out of a couple of little kids!!?!?

(/end sarcasm)
-3D
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double win!

lol, read some of my posts regarding girls, college and parties...she will have lots of fun

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

KICKIN IT ZIMBABWE STYLE!!!  

ETA:  Yes, I did just quote myself

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much. All it looked to me like the kid in the red Gi was getting taught was..... well, nothing, really. If anything, it looked like he was in the process of having his confidence broken. It also looks like he didn't know a whole lot to start with... I saw no real technique coming out of him.

Come to think of it, there wasn't much technique on either side of the fence here. A few bruce-leeroy looking moves, but nothing really decent.

The only thing I can say about it is that the adults were being fairly controlled... the kid wasn't going to really be injured by any of that.

Agreed the technique was pretty poor. But what those kids are learning is fighting spirit, which is far more valuable than executing the perfect side kick. They're getting pushed to their limits and beyond. Looked like an awesome dojo to me. They were putting those boys through a rite of passage.

I went to a suburban strip mall white boy dojo as a kid––-loved my teacher, I learned nice crisp technique, got my brown belt but couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag. I didn't learn to really fight until I took kickboxing classes with a big mean black dude who taught me by kicking my ass on a regular basis––-he taught me fighting spirit. My judo experience is the same––-black belts whooping my butt, making me fight them when I thought I had nothing left. Those are the only schools worth going to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]
The instructor posted his comment at the top somewhat explaining what point he was trying to make.

Seems he's trying to teach them real-world self-defense that may be useful in the streets of Philadelphia.

That being said, I've never taken any form of martial arts. Sure, the instructor doesn't seem preoccupied or concerned with the technical aspects of it, but maybe these kids need to know what it's like being up against a bigger and stronger, unrelenting opponent.

break em down, and build them back up.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top