Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2009 2:10:17 PM EDT
On this paranoid site I highly doubt it, but I thought I'd ask.

For those that don't know, it's an awesome application that allows you to share your current location with select friends and family. If you have it running on a supported mobile phone, it always updates. They can either see you on their phone, or they can even see it on a web page. Of course, you have total control over who sees it, and it's easy to turn the feature off if you're headed to the strip club.

In a way, it's handy for things like meeting up, if you're alerted that a friend is in town. If you're using something like a Droid or an iPhone, you can click on them and navigate your way there. If you have kids, it'd be pretty slick for obvious reasons. If you saw that your friend was still at work, maybe you wouldn't call or bother them. Things like that. I'm fascinated by the whole thing.
You can also set your location manually. Imagine the possibilities - like putting yourself at a buddy's mom's house overnight (this was suggested in the chat area of my site).

I just set mine up, so that my Google Talk status is updated with my current location, since I don't mind my friends knowing.
It's supported on all kinds of devices. Here's the list:

• Android-powered devices, such as the T-Mobile G1

• iPhone and iPod touch devices

• most color BlackBerry devices

• most Windows Mobile 5.0+ devices

• most Symbian S60 devices (Nokia smartphones)

EDIT: http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html#dc=lato

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
dude, it's latitude
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
OPSEC!!!!!!...................
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
no.

I don't see the need for it because I know no one that uses it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

dude, it's latitude

Honest typo. Dude.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't see the need for it because I know no one that uses it.

That's kind of my problem. I have it enabled, but nobody else I know uses it. It's kind of a bummer.

Maybe this thread is a little encouragement.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Ummmm....no....everyone that needs to know, already knows where I am.  This also includes people that don't need to know.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered 4 Droid Eris phones last week. For myself, wife, friend, and his wife.

We all joined it together. They live about 1 1/4 hr south east of us.

Not very accurate. I searched online and found Google people explaining it. Updates are sporadic. Goes off several factors like what phone you have, where you are, how much power your battery has, etc. I can be sitting still in my house and watch myself update and move across the screen. From one place I wasn't at to another I'm not at. Tried the direction feature and it locked up my phone, had to remove the battery.

Works well enough to get some idea. My friend and I work together. We are on call truck drivers at UPS so the phone can ring any time 24 hours a day. After the week starts we can get our schedules separated and not know when the other is at work or bed. He's always calling when I'm asleep. Our hub is smack dab between us. At least we can look at the map and see if we are "near" home or work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought about it but I don't really have many friends so I didn't see the point.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I do, it is kind of handy, we have our babysitter on it, so we can glance at our phone and see if she is running errands or home when we get off work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top